Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm ashamed of myself... but I finally succumbed to Origin

I tried guys. I really did. Oh man how I tried. I even considered missing out on Mass Effect 3, just to avoid it. But then...the trailers started. The trailers and the demo and the rave reviews thereof, I just couldn't stop myself.

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition via Origin. I feel dirty now. So dirty. But sometimes... we just have to do things we don't like, morally, to get by in life.

...I feel like i've let everyone down. I'm sorry.

The only experience I had with Origin was unusually positive. My sister loaned me her Sims Medieval game and I couldn't get my drive to read it. I searched for another method of installing it and saw that you could download a digital copy on Origin if you'd already purchased the game. So I installed Origin and typed in my cd-key...but it didn't work!

I got on the Origin website and contacted customer service and explained my problem. I gave them the cd-key. In about five minutes, my account was credited with a brand new copy of Sims Medieval and the conversation was over. It wasn't until later that day that I realized I had been typing in some DLC code included with the game and not the actual cd-key, which my sister later informed me was lost.

So I appreciate that they gave me the benefit of the doubt and essentially a free game.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I have heard nothing but good things about their customer service. I keep hoping the competition will finally force Valve to get a live, online, customer support service for steam--or in the least hire more than 20 people to handle their e-mail issues.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Seriously? You needed to frame this thread in an apology? For what, using a piece of software which isn't half as bad as people like to believe?

There's nothing wrong with Origin except all the FUD generated by people about it... "people" unfortunately including RPS. I've been using it since BF3 came out and it's never given me any grief. It's given me infinitely less grief in its short life than Steam has, what with it having trouble picking a content server during busy times, giving me random "This game is currently unavailable" errors, and invariably having problems during any major release.

The same resistance occurred when Steam came out, and Steam was far worse on initial release and didn't start getting good until about 2006 or 2007.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I've been using it since BF3 came out and it's never given me any grief.
    To be fair, I don't think of it as anything other than BF3's main menu.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

"EA CORPORATE COCKS" syndrome *roll eyes*.

I haven't used it myself as I haven't needed to yet but I believe it wont be the end of the world when I do.

I've never used Origin, I genuinly believed it was the devil from everything i'd heard. I wasn't being dramatic, I actually felt a little ashamed for caving in and buying ME3

Quote Originally Posted by TsunamiWombat View Post
    I've never used Origin, I genuinly believed it was the devil from everything i'd heard. I wasn't being dramatic, I actually felt a little ashamed for caving in and buying ME3
    Valve got it working first and EA has a piss poor reputation. Competition can only be good in my opinion.

Don't run with the hivemind. Be your own judge.
    O48

So laid back I'm aslee..zzzzzz

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    The only experience I had with Origin was unusually positive. My sister loaned me her Sims Medieval game and I couldn't get my drive to read it. I searched for another method of installing it and saw that you could download a digital copy on Origin if you'd already purchased the game. So I installed Origin and typed in my cd-key...but it didn't work!

I got on the Origin website and contacted customer service and explained my problem. I gave them the cd-key. In about five minutes, my account was credited with a brand new copy of Sims Medieval and the conversation was over. It wasn't until later that day that I realized I had been typing in some DLC code included with the game and not the actual cd-key, which my sister later informed me was lost.

So I appreciate that they gave me the benefit of the doubt and essentially a free game.
    Yeah, EA's customer service is fairly good, the whole forum / account ban issue excluded perhaps. I had a problem with a direct debit payment when I bought some ME2 DLC which was substracted from my bank account, but I never got those stupid Bioware points added to my account. After a brief live chat with EA support, the issue was resolved in less than 20 minutes.

Network Hub
    I used it to activate all my retail copies of ea games from Dead Space onwards which I thought was a genuinely nice touch. It is very much a poor mans steam though but it tends to do the basics well enough, I just think its a shame that some games need it running in the background otherwise it might be a more attractive alternative if it was just a download manager.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I have heard nothing but good things about their customer service. I keep hoping the competition will finally force Valve to get a live, online, customer support service for steam--or in the least hire more than 20 people to handle their e-mail issues.
    EA customer service is ridiculously helpful.

Valve release propriatary DRM for self published games. Reaction: Hooray! What you don't like it? You troll!!!
    EA release propriatary DRM for self published games. Reaction: This thread.

Also put me in the "EA has great customer service that Valve can't even compete with" camp. We can make smores.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Valve release propriatary DRM for self published games. Reaction: Hooray! What you don't like it? You troll!!!
    That was hardly the first reaction to steam... A lot of people didn't really like it when it first came out...

I've only got BF3 on it (oh and the ME3 demo which I'm not sure whether to play or not) and have to say I've got no problem with it. I've never encountered any problems that would make me hate it in the way others seem to. It's no GFWL that's for sure.

Oh, and I really like Battlelog for that matter too.

Obscure Node
    When the Burnout Paradise box offer came out, I gave Origin a shot. It locked up my PC and wouldn't work until I reset and removed it. No free Burnout for me. I had to try the ME3 demo though, I needed to check both it, and Origin would run so I gave it another go and it ran fine.

Got paid today, ummed and ahhed and rather pathetically ordered the digital deluxe N7 version as the thought of missing out on the 4 extra guns, the lame skins for my team, the pointless dog and a hoodie I don't actually get to wear was too much to bear. I was convinced something would go wrong.

Paid using paypal, I don't want "evil" EA having my bank details, paypal email came through, job done, already showing on my online banking. Feel a pang of remorse for spending an extra 20 on a virtual metal dog, when I have a real life one lying in my lap. Check my Origin order history. NADA. It's not there. EA have screwed me, Origin has screwed me. This never happened with Steam. Check the forums. Check the support. After 20 minutes and seeing people have suffered the same issue and were told to email I start composing my message. Just about to click "send" and ping! Email from Origin, and when I check the purchase history, there it is.

I could blame Origin, I could say that when I order through Steam and use Paypal, it's INSTANT. It's so quick I never have time to feel buyer's remorse. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt though and just assume it's a different billing process and the money took a bit longer to swim across the ocean.

Now if only they could work out a way to release a digital product on the same day as the US and also work out why I can't at least have my extra crap like the art book, soundtrack and comic to amuse me while we wait? Spoilers be damned, I want to know what the hell a lithograph is and what it looks like when it's not a physical object.

(What I'm saying is, that since reinstalling it, it's been fine and the only major issue came out of pre-judging and assuming something would get borked.)
    Last edited by _Jackalope_; 17-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Network Hub
    Only real gripe I have with Origin is that I much rather prefer having all my games on one consolidated service. However, I am sort of concerned that it portends a future where all the major publishers decide to put all their games on their own services and further cluttering up my taskbar and needlessly taking up system resources.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    To be fair, I don't think of it as anything other than BF3's main menu.
    I don't even launch the damned game from that anymore. I just open up Google Chrome (damn you, DICE, for not supporting Opera), find a server on Battlelog (still a sticking point for me, launching a game from a browser), then I'm in.

It's funny, because for what seems like the first time ever, I'm contemplating buying the DLC for Mass effect 2 (even the stupid gun packs, which transfer to ME3) with Bioware points, and then ordering the digital deluxe edition from origin. I don't know why, but it just seems like a good idea. And I hate buying games digitally and online - I really love the physical aspect. The steelcase/lithograph has still almost got me convinced.

Origin is a fine piece of software - if it wasn't for the obvious bugs, the stupid run windows installer for every update process and the "HEY, YOU KNOW ORIGIN IS STILL RUNNING IN THIS SYSTEM TRAY?!?!!" notification every time, I'd be perfectly happy with it.

I will note, that Origin damn near killed itself on battlefield 3 release. Was like watching a fish flail to death out of water that day. Couldn't redeem my retail code for the life of me.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    That was hardly the first reaction to steam... A lot of people didn't really like it when it first came out...
    More then just that, it was bloody horrid when it first came out! As much as there are "Unavailable at this time" errors now, in 2005 it did that every second time I wanted to play HL2.

Origin is quite nice in a way that its stable, clean to look at and has the apparant nice customer service, but as a shopfront it needs some work. On the opening page I can tell that I can pre-order ME3, and on the Origin website I can tell I can pre-order ME3 with every bonus item ever, but no-where does it direct me to the demo. The store page has a "Pre-order now" button and a link to the ME3 website, which has the demo after navigating a couple of pages and then requires you to enter your origin details again (despite its running in the background and I'm still logged in).
    This may seem like a big baby getting pissy, but with Steam the demo is almost always listed on the item's shop page, along with links to various review scores, links to the publisher and studio, forum links, wishlist links and various media peices at the top of the page. ATM Steam gets my attention quicker as its a more convenient service. If Origin could have s few more options and extras, then I'd possibly go for them over Steam as Origin seems more stable and reliable (*Click on Shop page* Just a moment... Just a moment... Just a moment... Here is the community page) plus I like the look of it a little more.

Just my 2cents

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Steam or Origin, when someone hits the digital kill-switch on your gaming library don't come crying here. :)