Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RPS, I blocked the ads and subscribed. *Love*

After having had problems with loading RPS in the last days (the first article loaded fine but then the loading was blocked by a flurry of ad-serving Javascripts), I finally decided to install AdBlocker to my dear Opera and block all RPS ads.

The good:
    RPS loads as fast as lightning and I can read the fine articles without distractions

The bad:
    One less user who sees the ads
    But I never clicked them anyway because I don't buy games immediately after release

The best:
    I love your writing and subscribed to RPS
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supportrps/

*Shower of Love and Peace*

You installed something new on Opera to block ads? What about urlfilter.ini?

Besides, I'm a subscriber and I display ads. That way, they get even more money.
    If you're worried about heavy sites, I suggest you check the "Enable plug-ins only on demand" parameter. That way, you still get the ads, but without the flash components which are making the page heavier.

since I installed adblock, I cant live without it. Welcome to the subscribers!

Also, I vote to have a sub only forum.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Also, I vote to have a sub only forum.
    Who exactly do you intend to exclude?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Doms of course.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    He just wants to feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by Oof View Post
    He just wants to feel special.

duh,,, what about being special...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiYeon View Post
    duh,,, what about being special...
    You have money to spend on frivolous things? Welcome to the rich old boys' club!

That's not really a valid reason to have your own forum.

Hey there, Gnoupi, I have used "Enable plugins only on demand" for a long time against flash, but RPS was slow because of some JS ad-serving crap.
    I wanted a blocker with a better interface than hosts or urlfilter.ini so I installed Opera Adblock.

I have never clicked an ad on RPS since I don't buy games immediately after release, so blocking them is actually a win for all (less bandwidth, faster loading).
    And anyway - I don't want any ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    I have never clicked an ad on RPS since I don't buy games immediately after release, so blocking them is actually a win for all (less bandwidth, faster loading)..
    There is usually a part of the ad revenue which is on display, even if most is on click, that was my point. But I see your point about JS.
    About ads in general, I'm more on the "free content should be paid in some sort. Especially on sites I frequent a lot.", so I don't bother blocking them anymore. But to each their preferences, obviously.

I like the ads here. I mean, I utterly despise advertising and will merrily go out of my way to avoid it's constant, incessant visual and audible stink on my poor existence; firmly on Bill Hicks' team when he decrees anyone involved in marketing for a living should simply kill themselves.
    However on RPS they kinda just serve as thematic wallpaper to the site-layout, and it even looks kinda nice sometimes.
    Compared with places like Gamesradar with self-expanding ads that conquer half the screen like bloody Caesar, force feeding my face with it's audio-visual cynical shitery and refusing to give it back until you manage to hunt down the miniscule x button. Or that middle-clicking to autoscroll opens another sodding tab or window and the fact that every 30 sec video posted up has a 45 second commercial for something I couldn't care less about to watch first, I mean compared to THAT, RPS' ads are wonderfully unobtrusive and hardly worth avoiding at all.
    Last edited by Memph; 02-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.

RPS, I click ads from time to time and subscribed. *Moar Love* ;)
    Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work.

I subscribe, and do keep the ads as well. I even click on them if a RPS article has made me curious about the game.

I've always wondered whether or not the website displaying the ads is affected by me blocking them if I don't click on any of the ads in the first place. It was to my understanding that of the small percentage of people who click on an ad, there is a small percentage of people who buy a thing as a result from clicking on the ad, and the ad-displayer takes a small percentage of the money gained from that.

But I guess it's a different story when the ad actually has to be loaded to the page. Is that the case? Does RPS only get paid if the ads are physically beaming their pixels into my brain? Am I denying them ad revenue if I wear a tinfoil hat?

Regardless, there's no way I'm getting rid of my ad blocker, but for a fart-and-a-half a month, I'll happily subscribe!

The best part about subscribing is that it entitles you to occasionally shout stuff like I OWN THIS PLACE or I WANT TO TALK TO THE MANAGER at your screen and not feel completely ridiculous.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anthile View Post
    the best part about subscribing is that it entitles you to occasionally shout stuff like i own this place or i want to talk to the manager at your screen and not feel completely ridiculous.
    I paid my two dollar cover, why can't I harass the musicians backstage?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

That, and once or twice a year, they come across with a special offer like beta access (of course, usually during the mornings UK time, so all gone by the time us filthy colonials wake up.)

I subbed recently to support RPS :) How often do the newsletters etc... go out?

Quote Originally Posted by fionny View Post
    I subbed recently to support RPS :) How often do the newsletters etc... go out?
    Err... totally randomly, and usually quite a while between them. Of late, it's more been used to send out beta codes :)

Obscure Node
    Doms of course.