Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 210
  1. #121
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    We already got bumped around enough with your artillery strikes :P.
    It was only eight tubes! That's hardly spam!

  2. #122
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    114
    You guys still playing? I haven't done any multi-player yet and was hoping to join one of your games.

  3. #123
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5
    I am also curious as to whether you glorious chaps are still fighting the good fight?

  4. #124
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    886
    I'm also wondering if people are still playing? I challenged myself to get all the command stars from all the single player operations before starting MP, and I'm not far off that now...

  5. #125
    Obscure Node Zapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, England.
    Posts
    23
    I occasionally go back to this game, I really really like the 'look&feel', but I always end up completely frustrated by how insanely difficult the SP missions are and just give up.

  6. #126
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapt View Post
    I occasionally go back to this game, I really really like the 'look&feel', but I always end up completely frustrated by how insanely difficult the SP missions are and just give up.
    They definitely get easier as you gain experience and work out what combination of units to put in a group for different purposes, etc. Working out recon and supply properly were a big issue for me. The missions are still pretty tough though, and usually take me a fair few tries each, especially to get all the bonus objectives!

  7. #127
    Obscure Node Zapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, England.
    Posts
    23
    Well I guess it can be 'gamed' in a way with some creative unit formation, but there is some real funky stuff going on within the battle execution.
    A single BMP-1 just took out 3 of my M1's at 3k in a straight duel, ok, lets give it that one. But the T-62 that took out 4 stationary Bradleys that were hidden deep within a forest? Stuff like that just makes me quit and give it another month.

    It's a fun game, I just never feel as though I'm fighting on an even footing or even remotely close to some kind of realism, or real world unit capabilities. :)

  8. #128
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    886
    I wasn't really talking about trying to game the system... I wouldn't really know how! I just meant more like, for an offensive group, making sure you have a core of heavy armour, with good recon, support, etc. I can normally complete a SP mission without losing any important (above ~80 deployment cost) unit now (although admittedly not on the first try!), through making use of properly balanced groups of units, using units appropriately, heavy use of flanking tactics and making sure that everything is kept well supplied.Your experiences do sound kind of weird though... I don't think I've ever had anything that extreme (annoying, yes, but that's different). Remember that unit experience counts for a massive amount though (maybe too much?), and protecting the more experienced units in your battle group is really important.And as to whether the game reflects real unit capabilities... well, I not enough of a military buff to say to be honest! Overall it feels a lot more realistic than a lot of other games though.

  9. #129
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Hey, nice to see that there is still some activity here :) I just joined the rps steam group and I'm looking for some nice w:ee games. When are you guys usually up for a game?

  10. #130
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by coldice View Post
    Hey, nice to see that there is still some activity here :) I just joined the rps steam group and I'm looking for some nice w:ee games. When are you guys usually up for a game?
    I'm still on my mission to get all the command points available in SP mode. Not long to go now! Just the Big Mistake campaign and one or two other missions that I left slightly incomplete.

  11. #131
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    114
    I've still got a few missions to complete in the single-player campaign. I tried out multi-player for the first time yesterday and was floored by how many command stars I got considering I was the lowest scoring player in the game -- 34 stars for dealing a little less than 2000 points of damage. That's a lot more than the 16 points you can get for completing Ride of the Black Horse in the Fatal Error campaign.

  12. #132
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Strazz View Post
    I've still got a few missions to complete in the single-player campaign. I tried out multi-player for the first time yesterday and was floored by how many command stars I got considering I was the lowest scoring player in the game -- 34 stars for dealing a little less than 2000 points of damage. That's a lot more than the 16 points you can get for completing Ride of the Black Horse in the Fatal Error campaign.
    I mainly challenged myself to get all the command stars in all the SP missions because I was whipping through them pretty quickly (well, I was once I'd de-n00bed myself). It makes the game much harder and more satisfying, and I think it's already made a massive difference to my skill level. You can kind of game some of the harder optional goals by doing the mission several times, focusing on each goal in turn, but I've tried to avoid that as much as I can. The time limit objectives are always tough though.

    Anyway, I just completed the last Warlord mission (missing 3 command points, I'll have to return to it) after quite a few attempts. Onto Fatal Mistake.

  13. #133
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Archbishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Strazz View Post
    I've still got a few missions to complete in the single-player campaign. I tried out multi-player for the first time yesterday and was floored by how many command stars I got considering I was the lowest scoring player in the game -- 34 stars for dealing a little less than 2000 points of damage. That's a lot more than the 16 points you can get for completing Ride of the Black Horse in the Fatal Error campaign.
    It's mainly because the EXP you get is relevant to hte level of other players. If you fight against the highest level player in the game as the lowest level player, and somehow manage to lose just barely, you get tons of XP.

    Also, the multiplayer in general is much more fun then the sp imo. Faster paced and not all that difficult. You also gain XP for losing, so losing feels like a learning experience instead of a waste of time like failing the SP missions ocasionally feel like.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 27-02-2013 at 09:20 AM.

  14. #134
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunkdreams View Post
    I mainly challenged myself to get all the command stars in all the SP missions because I was whipping through them pretty quickly (well, I was once I'd de-n00bed myself). It makes the game much harder and more satisfying, and I think it's already made a massive difference to my skill level. You can kind of game some of the harder optional goals by doing the mission several times, focusing on each goal in turn, but I've tried to avoid that as much as I can. The time limit objectives are always tough though.

    Anyway, I just completed the last Warlord mission (missing 3 command points, I'll have to return to it) after quite a few attempts. Onto Fatal Mistake.
    Jeah I tried to complete all secondary objectives when I played the missions the first time, which made me restart quite a lot after the first few minutes.. but some goals are really hard, especially the time-limits. However, after playing some multiplayer against AI, I finally started playing online matches, and even though some people tend to leave immidiately when they see my lvl, it's a LOT more fun in there =). You get tons of exp, like Grizzly said (just got 46 command points after two rounds), and playing against real enemies always makes more fun. The online community seems to be very nice, there are a lot of "polite" players.

  15. #135
    I'm up for a few games of this sometime as well. Just been on my first MP match, got beaten horribly although I did manage to outscore my team mate! haha-Small Victory!

    Now to spend those stars!
    Planetside2 / Firefall: Crustycuffs
    Mechwarrior Online / Blood Bowl: Mrchinchin25
    GuildWars2: Shiifty (Mesmer) Frank Tankborn (Warrior)
    Raptr: mrchinchin25 Steam: mrchinchin25 Origin: ​Crustycuffs

  16. #136
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Archbishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    1,643
    As a side note, playing MP against hard AI also gives you exp, another way to boost those command points.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    As a side note, playing MP against hard AI also gives you exp, another way to boost those command points.
    Really?! That might be a nice easy way to grind some extra things out!
    Planetside2 / Firefall: Crustycuffs
    Mechwarrior Online / Blood Bowl: Mrchinchin25
    GuildWars2: Shiifty (Mesmer) Frank Tankborn (Warrior)
    Raptr: mrchinchin25 Steam: mrchinchin25 Origin: ​Crustycuffs

  18. #138
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchinchin25 View Post
    Really?! That might be a nice easy way to grind some extra things out!
    You'll get some XP, but just a very small amount compared to mp with human enemies. It will depend on your time spent as well as your perofrmance, with a friend of me we got like 100 XP after 1h game win against hard AI.
    I got like 900 XP after a 25 minute MP game against real opponents and about 2000 or so against opponents with a lvl much greater than mine. so bottom line: mp pays off for a noob, even if you loose.

  19. #139
    Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by coldice View Post
    You'll get some XP, but just a very small amount compared to mp with human enemies.
    That's quite clever of the developers in fact, as it encourages people to get into MP. I'm not far off completely my quest to get all the command points, and I'd definitely be up for some games then. The match making environment sounds good (for a change), but I'd prefer to play other RPSers, of course!

  20. #140
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    I'm up for a game, although I am quite horrible at this game. So anyone that plays with me either will have to suffer my incompetence or abuse it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •