Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Diablo 3 expansion revealed

Or announced or teased, whatever throwing a page with no info out there means.
    More news at Gamescom next week.

Right. I'm trying to convince myself that D2 improved a lot after the LoD expansion and that there is a chance of the same thing here. D2 is one of my favourite ever games so the disappointment with D3 hit hard.

Honestly, if they thoroughly overhauled the items to be much more varied and interesting I would go back and play it some more. If they offer a an offline mode like D2 (not likely) I will definitely purchase to get out of the AH environment.

Combat itself was satisfying, I actually didn't mind the skill system, music wasn't as good as D2, didn't really enjoy the art style as much as the one in D2 but at this stage I'll settle for more interesting loot that isn't balanced with a drop rate for the AH :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You're not wrong in that LoD was a massive improvement to D2, so maybe, just maybe. Right?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

They need to remove the Hell difficulty.
    It was OK when I played my first character.
    It got boring when I leveled up the second one.
    Now I'm in Nightmare Act III with my third character, at level 47. I dread going through the whole game AGAIN to reach Inferno. I'll most likely hit 60 in the first act of Hell.
    I would like to max every class because the combat is incredibly fun but I can't see myself replaying the same shitty sections over and over again.
    At the very least they should make all Hell waypoints available from the start so I can kill Diablo ASAP and move to Inferno.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I didn't like Diablo 2 on release but with the expansion and patches it's probably my favourite Diablolike. Hopefully for D3 fans this can be a similar level of improvement.

I quite liked the trial version and wouldn't mind playing more, but I doubt they're going to add a single-player mode so I won't be buying this.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Well there is a single-player mode but not an offline one, is that what you mean?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    As long as noone pre-orders you'll be safe from massive dissapointment.

Wait to hear how well it launches before jumping back into another server error message fest.

Personally I quite like some bits of D3, but as a whole the always online, difficulty settings and AH made it a fairly poor complete package and my hopes for this are pretty rock bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    Well there is a single-player mode but not an offline one, is that what you mean?
    Most people when they say single player, mean offline single player.

I'll be hoping to see some improvements. Blizzard games haven't been as shiney and great for me lately. The HoTS expansion for SC2 was pretty meh for a full priced game. It wasn't in any way an improvement (single player wise) over WoL and I don't just mean because it was just the zerg. The campaign of it seemed lazier and shorter than the WoL one.

I think the issue is just that Blizzard now aren't the same. Same name, different faces. It's like one of your favourite bands slowly replaced all the members over time and now you're just left with Axl Rose and his tribute act.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Yeah, if they learnt from the console version (!) and stopped always online, stripped out the auction house, let you select difficulty and added lan/split screen play I would consider it. Without that it could pretty much come with a solid gold bar attached and I still wouldn't be interested. The AH killed that game dead.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

What's wrong with the AH? You have a feeling that Blizzard adjusts the drops? Are you upset that some people don't earn their items through gameplay in a non-competitive game where this really doesn't matter at all?

The loot is shit but that's because they went full retard with the randomness. Nobody needs Wizard-exclusives with strength...

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    What's wrong with the AH? You have a feeling that Blizzard adjusts the drops? Are you upset that some people don't earn their items through gameplay in a non-competitive game where this really doesn't matter at all?

The loot is shit but that's because they went full retard with the randomness. Nobody needs Wizard-exclusives with strength...
    It felt like the drop rates were adjusted for the Auction House but it could just be that the drop rates were balls anyway :)

Hours of play and only one unique item and no set item... They don't always have to be amazing OP items, they just have to be different/interesting. The reliance on single stat creep for dps so much made it seem really boring to me.

I haven't even finished Torchlight 2 yet so should really go back to that for now and stop re-rolling D2 characters.

Network Hub
    I downloaded it again after a year away. I forgot how quite good the combat is. Its nice to sit there and not think for a few hours while everything gets blown to bits and flies everywhere. Loot specific to your class drops a lot more then it did thankgod. But they need to do away with the story, load of bollocks after the first time and now i'm on my 4th character and its a real fucking chore even skipping most of the dialogue.

As groovycahinsaw saids, select the difficulty from the off. I think i'v used 2 health-pots in my 10 hours of play, way to much of a cakewalk when you start a new character. I have no interest in the AH, make it optional at least. And maybe include a ladder ranking system unless they have that already, I haven't really looked. I don't remind hopeful. Probably get the usual, a new class, 2 more acts, raised level cap that sort of stuff. I'll be very surprised if they add anything that would tickle my teats.

Combat was good, but I thought most of the level designs where pretty bad and too long. I miss the fun and excitement of runs in d2, fast paced, non-stop killing and looting the bosses. In D3, everything is too dragged out that you don't so much do a boss run, but you do a chapter in an act.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    What's wrong with the AH?
    Simple - for me, the point of an ARPG is earning the loot as I play. I never got a single item that was better than what I could buy in the AH for my level with my gold - the AH items were usually an order of magnitude better. Therefore the point of the game, for me, was ruined. I want to earn my loot and have the excitement of a drop in-game, not just buy it. And yes, I could ignore it, but then the game becomes artificially harder, as it's not designed for you to avoid the AH, and it expects you to be maxing out your stats via items. If the AH didn't exist, it would be a lot better. I don't understand what it adds to the game, as a mostly single player.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

If they add a necromancer character I'm afraid I won't be able to help myself no matter the state of the game!

Agree about the story getting in the way too. The D2 bosses were of the more dark, grisly unknowable terror style. D3 felt way less like being confronted with an unnatural demonic monstrosity and more like fighting a cartoony 'bad guy'.

Four levels of difficulty is stupid when the first one is way too easy. Being able to skip the first after bringing one character past it would be much more enjoyable.

Also, bring back gambling and get rid of this crafting nonsense, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post

I think the issue is just that Blizzard now aren't the same. Same name, different faces. It's like one of your favourite bands slowly replaced all the members over time and now you're just left with Axl Rose and his tribute act.
    That might just be the best and most accurate analogy about Blizzard I have ever seen.

Network Hub
    What's wrong with the AH? You have a feeling that Blizzard adjusts the drops?
    Blizzard doesn't adjust the drops on the fly based on the AH, that is correct - but they have said countless times that the drops overall ARE obviously balanced around the AH to prevent oversaturation. Over its somewhat extensive patch-cycle they've rebalanced that by quite a bit, but the devs, both those that left the project in the meantime and those that are still working on it where very vocal and open about the fact that they regret including the AH for various reasons. They simply have to jump through too many hoops when they try to rebalance something, for one.

Either way, I actually still occasionally play D3 with my co-op buddy and especially on the higher levels of monsterpower it still manages to come up with situations that get a decent chuckle out of us and we have some very fond memories of our initial struggle in Inferno, so i'd welcome and probably even pick up an expansion.

Judging by what i've read in the past it sounds like they took quite a handful of inspirations from Path of Exile when it comes to planned changes... Notably recrafting, rerolling, adding affixes to items (and obviously making items bind-on-account after tinkering with them), making every legendary able to drop as a high-level version, making white items actually useful etc. etc. - And Path of Exile is a damn fine game to draw inspiration from.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post

As groovycahinsaw saids, select the difficulty from the off. I think i'v used 2 health-pots in my 10 hours of play, way to much of a cakewalk when you start a new character.
    It's worth mentioning that Blizzard did add a selectable difficulty system a while back, seperate to Normal/Nightmare/Hell/Inferno. You can change it whenever you want, higher levels give you bonuses to experience and magic find, and it works really rather nicely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And there has been a recent trademark filing for "The Dark Below". Assuming its WoW related, probably something will be announced at BlizzCon.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I haven't played D3, since I've lived the last few years in an environment where always-online games just aren't an option (though I'm more than willing to give the upcoming PS3 version a shot). However, I have been pouring time into Dragon's Crown, and I've noticed that that game has a lot of features that are very Diablo-esque, including the mandatory climb up the difficulty ladder. The big difference is that where I've heard a lot of complaints about D3's approach, DC seems to have hit a sweet spot. I'd love to hear someone who's played both games discuss these similarities, as I think it would make a good discussion of feedback loops and how each game succeeds/fails.