Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Dirt Rally (It's like those old CMR games!)

erm - this is a thing today on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560

Dirt Rally - Early Access from Codemasters - a 'more serious' rally title "to be developed with the community"

erm...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    erm - this is a thing today on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560

Dirt Rally - Early Access from Codemasters - a 'more serious' rally title "to be developed with the community"

erm...
    This could be a welcome return to form! Very interested in this, will follow it closely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens89 View Post
    This could be a welcome return to form! Very interested in this, will follow it closely.
    It's not a cheap thing to take a risk on - it looks interesting but it could be anything - after the CMR mobile port debacle and the last F1 game I don't think we can trust Codemasters to make something which is what we WANT them to make?

Network Hub
    I know. I think we all roll our eyes a little bit nowadays when Codemasters tell us they've 'listened to what we want' every 6-12 months. This does genuinely look like they're having a proper go at making a sim this time so I am intrigued. One of the lead designers recently took part in the Somerrrrrset rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWnebLUI5Vw

Please be good. Come on Codies.

edit: "Codies think they've got a simulation better than Richard Burns' Rally" :O
    Last edited by Mittens89; 27-04-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Network Hub
    It's a Codemasters dirt racing game that doesn't include Ken Block shouting "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDE!" I might buy it just to encourage that sort of thing.

Early impressions on Steam, Reddit and with a friend who bought it seem to be positive, especially considering it's Early Access. Rumour has it that Rally Cross is coming in June, which will be the point where I cave, if I haven't already done so by then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens89 View Post
    edit: "Codies think they've got a simulation better than Richard Burns' Rally" :O
    Ohnotheyjustdidnt?

Thems fighting words.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
    “At release DiRT Rally will include a total of 36 rally stages spread across Monte Carlo, Greece and Wales. We will launch with a wide selection of cars, from 1960s classics right through to modern day machines.

*Flips table, walks out, slams door*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Holy f*ck. Anybody tried it?
    Do you enjoy failing to race cars wot go fast? Then join us at the Racing Subforum!

Network Hub
    I would if I had the means to play it. Still in sim racing limbo. Simbo?

Network Hub
    Gamer Muscle had a stream of it this afternoon, so you could watch that to see what you think.

Jump ahead to about 5 minutes to get to the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've just realised that they timed this to get in JUST before P:C finally arrives - a sneaky but effective tactic I suspect ;0

Also - people are lauding the lack of 'XGames' stuff which is fine but they're also lauding the removal of the 'time rewind' system and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing.

Real rallying is a make-or-break sport - you go hard and if you crash, odds-are that's the end of your rally - but that's not much fun in a game (you just restart and repeat all your work anyway - all they did is waste your time)

V Rally (2 at least) had that sort of punishment - if you crashed and damaged your car you'd maybe struggle, get a fix and maybe get a placing but winning was pretty much about 'not crashing' and that often meant 'just not driving flat out' - which isn't the point of a driving game to me...

I liked the rewind system - you can turn-it-off if you don't but I think it's a decent compromise in that you can push hard and take 'some' risks without risking the whole rally on a mistake (or a silly RNG based damage system which may or may not cripple your car)

It's a classic "it works better as a game" thing - it's not a 'sim' thing of course
    Last edited by trjp; 27-04-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I've just realised that they timed this to get in JUST before P:C finally arrives - a sneaky but effective tactic I suspect ;0
    Hmm.. perhaps, but Project Cars was on EA too.

Network Hub
    Right then, i've stuck 2 hours into it. First impressions below.

Driving
    Initially I wasn't impressed, understeer upon understeer that no setup could fix, not at all enjoyable. Walked away for 5 minutes and then spent some time adjusting wheel settings in game and I found something that works ok.

So the driving is a step more to realistic than dudebro Dirts (Never played the first dirt). Cars feel heavy and do not have unlimited amounts of grip. There is still in my opinion too much understeer with most cars, the RWD cars seem exempt from it.
    Might seem like I hate it. I don't it's quite good and 2 clicks in the right direction, I think it's my mind just telling me its still not RBR good.

Force Feedback
    Where as the driving has improved the FFB hasn't. It's got worse. In that it is complete and utter garbage.

There is nothing useful coming through the wheel. You don't really feel anything, there's the occasional bump that comes through that as far as I can tell isn't even matched in the game. You just feel this horrible slow centering force.

That said, being on tarmac in the Monaco stages improves it ever so slightly. On really aggressive corners you can slightly feel weight transfer.
    There is one great effect I want to bring attention too and that is the feeling of ice. It's surprisingly well done considering how awful the rest of the FFB is. If you start to skid over the ice the steering will go really light, it's a small thing but it feels great it.

Damage
    You can supposedly damage tons of parts of the car. Engine, gears, transmissions etc. In practice I don't think any of it changes the handling, i've smashed the car into a tree at full speed and have been able to just drive away and continue at the same pace as before.
    You can have tyre blowouts, i've only ever had them after a crash but there may be other conditions where they can happen. They're essentially rally ending as it makes it impossible to take a corner.

Graphics
    An area I feel Codemasters do well in all their games.
    Once again the game looks beautiful, masses of trees in the welsh forests. Snowy villages at Monaco all of it looks wonderful.
    Bystander models are the same as in Dirt 2/3 and have the same animations.
    Some areas of the stages are a little sparse , usually the latter 1/8th of the stage maybe, it still looks great though. Forgivable under early access I think.

Stages
    Three environments available at the moment; Wales, Monaco and Greece.
    Each has a different number of stages, haven't counted but there seems a fair selection for each.
    The stages are longer than previous Dirt games. Most last around the same as the longest dirt 2 stage, around 4 minutes or so. There are a couple that are longer pushing 8 minutes.
    The layouts themselves vary, some stages are quite dull just filled with fast corner after fast corner. Most are more interesting requiring a bit more skill and talent to manoeuvre.

Other stuff
    The presentation of the game is nice, there's none of the obnoxious loud in your face triangles and such. It's a nice clean interface.
    Pace notes are off in some places, i've had a few crashes because the corner is actually tighter than the co-driver tells me. This comes up in nearly every rally game though.
    Not sure if taking the rewind function out is a good or a bad thing, it never had to be used before but was helpful to those who wanted to use it.

Conclusion
    It's quite good, and it's a step in the right direction for a more realistic rally game.
    For the price at the moment I don't think it's worth it, ignoring some of the issues I feel there just isn't enough content to justify £22 at the moment.
    The foundation is there though, if Codemasters do as they say (ha) and listen to the community over the coming months and continue to add more content it could be a very competent rally game.

Network Hub
    After watching the stream I think it looks a bit like a Dirt 2/3 mod. It's probably half decent, but it definitely doesn't look like a sim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just watching it, it's not RBR but then it never was going to be RBR and anyone expecting that is smoking something bad...

I think people should be reasonably happy - and a realistic expectation would be - if it's something like CMR2-2005 with updated graphics and hardware support (or Dirt1 plus some difficulty levels)

Of course if you want punishing damage and higher levels of FFB etc., now is the time to start lobbying for it. That's what EA is (supposed to be) for...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Well, I think I'm hyped for it. Not going to be RBR is probably a good thing for me, frankly - that thing is just too damn difficult, though I get its appeal.
    Do you enjoy failing to race cars wot go fast? Then join us at the Racing Subforum!

Network Hub
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...first-real-sim

In the article RBR is described as being unrealistically difficult. Interesting.

Activated Node
    I had a lot of fun with it, and i do agree about the FFB being a bit rubbish. I'm sure they'll be able to nail it though. While iI understand the appeal of pure sims, they are a towering, frustrating wall for begginers like me. Arcadeys sims like this one are what i'll be playing for the foreseeable future, specially after I get some sort of VR.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    The thing is, you have to take anything Eurogamer writes about Codemasters with a truckload of salt. They've been extremely enthusiastic about Codies' games more than once in a not-completely-believable way, if you catch my meaning. And this is coming from someone who has bought all of Codemasters' games since Grid1, with the exception of F1 2014 and Dirt Showdown. I'll get Dirt Rally as well, just not immediately :)
    Community Manager at Reiza Studios.

Do you enjoy pretending to drive really fast (and even not so fast) cars? Join us at the RPS Racing Forum!

Do you enjoy killing lots and lots of monsters really fast (and even not so fast)? Join us at the RPS Path of Exile guild!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    It's a small problem that you see in a lot of places-for-review, actually. Games are oft-reviewed by those who want to review them, and it's obvious that Codies is striking cords with the Eurogamer review. Nothing bad about that persé, as personal opinions and all that, but it does remain an important footnote.