Lesser Hivemind Node

Assassins Creed Unity - How is it Really?

I was planning on giving this game a total pass. Hadn't even looked at it myself and had not planned to do so. After the sheer repetitiveness of the tailing and eavesdropping from Black Flag - to say nothing of those truly awful first person modern day moments - I figured it would just be more of the same.

However, several folks have made mention of the game in other threads. And their opinions seem pretty positive on the whole. So, I thought I would post a thread dedicated to talking about it. I find myself curious as to whether missions offer more options now, and whether its a bit more varied than the previous games. Also, the city; I hear Paris is believable in a way few other video game cities are and its apparently quite impressive.

So...thoughts on the latest stabby following Ubi game? Fire away!

Network Hub
    I personally think the game is too un-optimised for the PC.

The story is boring. I studied French history somewhat and from what I seen how AC:U dealt with the political figures, it doesn't give them the depth they deserve, even if they are taking artistic license with them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Several folks? Who is it apart from me? :P

I reiterate what I've said elsewhere: I like it a lot, it runs well for me, and I've not experienced any game-breaking bugs and very few noticeable glitches. It has one of the best virtual worlds I've ever seen in a game, possibly the best, and a ton of content in the base game without any of the add-on missions, the companion app, the season pass or any of that nonsense.

But it is very much Creed by numbers EDIT: and yes, it has been rushed out of the door too early. I could argue the things it's doing are quite adventurous in some respects but they simply don't shake up the Ubigame formula to the extent Black Flag did. I don't think it would piss you off quite as much as some of the other games, but the old annoyances are still there in some shape or form. I wouldn't recommend it to someone like you at full price (just going by your criticisms of the formula, is all). I like it much more than Alec did, but I still think his review was fair. A lot of the online hate it's been getting is definitely not justified as far as I'm concerned. But not all of it, by any means.

EDIT again to clarify: I'm halfway through the main storyline and on the one hand I haven't hit a single "You did not step exactly where we wanted you to step, you fail, try again", and some of the assassination missions do offer hidden secrets, multiple avenues of attack etc., etc. On the other hand, there have still been more than a few linear action sequences, tailing missions, and so on - tailing for example is far, far easier than before given glory be, the rooftops are largely empty (of enemies, at least); you've got a slow, but very long-range missile weapon for an instant kill at a distance, and you can use eagle vision to track people through buildings (it has a cooldown, but it's relatively easy to fire it off all the time).

But easy or not on the other hand it's... still tailing missions, if you take my point. They've polished the formula a fair bit, but it's still very much the formula. And I don't have much of a feeling that the different options in the more free-form missions matter a whole lot, if that makes sense. They're fun, and they don't force you into picking approach A or B, but the game is still far too easy and so far it's been relatively easy to just tick off all the available options in a mission, head in the most direct way and kill everyone in sight. That doesn't bother me too much, and it is still fun playing around with the systems (trying to do it the hard way), but it's definitely not the shake-up it could have been.

(Some parts seem potentially quite hard, mind. I haven't been able to ghost a heist mission yet. Get in to the mission location, steal item, get out - if you get detected at all your reward drops, and if you get into a drawn-out fight it'll drain entirely in a few seconds. There's an achievement for doing one undetected and getting 100% of the reward. I haven't earned that yet; I couldn't even ghost the easiest one. >_> )
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; Yesterday at 05:53 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the honest review/analysis. Very much appreciated. And you are most likely right: it probably would not do for me to buy this full price. The Creed formula tends to irk me more than entertain. I will keep an eye on it and wait for a sale.

Its a shame, in a way. Ubi is so close, in some ways, to the open world game we all want. So close. If only they would stop trying to control the player in order to shove in their scripted set pieces, and just turn us loose to every mission our way, I think I would love the series. Especially if they ever find the courage to introduce real consequences to player actions and choices. Still, glad you are enjoying it, and thanks again, Eight Rooks.

Unity is mind bendingly technically impressive. On a purely graphics technology level it looks better than probably anything else ever. But the setting is so dull and beige it's hard to pay attention to it. The gameplay is a huge leap back from Black Flag which at least was a bit less samey with the change of setting, this feels like Ass Creed 1-3 all over again.

And the performance, still, is a complete deal breaker. I play Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs at 60 FPS nearly maxed, but I get sub 20 FPS in Unity regardless of settings. Stay far far away until patched, and then only buy at sale price if you really need more Ass Creed.

I hate this but try to disable vsync with any ubi games for high frame rate.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have an FX8350 at 4 Ghz, 8 GB of DDR2 and a 4GB R9 290. Unity runs absolutely fine maxed out at 1080 with the Nvidia features (soft shadows, better SSAO, max AA) turned off, and it's still okay, albeit noticeable jerky, with them on too. It's unoptimised, yes. 60 FPS, I doubt it. An unplayable mess, Christ, no.

Anyone who thinks it's drab, too brown etc. is daft or wilfully blind. There are any number of things about the setting I could nitpick, but that isn't one of them. It's doing the exact same thing as Far Cry 4 with an Instagram filter over the visuals - if anything I find FC4's super-saturated haze more annoying than Unity's golden glow.

And I don't mind scripted action :) I don't want everything completely open, and I think Ubi's efforts with the mission design do deserve some praise. But while I wouldn't say it's a step back or whatever - and in some ways I like it more than Black Flag - it definitely doesn't do anything revolutionary, and I agree that's a weakness. It could have gone further, yes, and there's no real sense of drastic consequence - the murder mysteries are the most glaring example, where even if you accuse all the wrong people first it makes sod-all difference other than leaving you with a fraction of a pittance as a reward. Christ, they've even got Marat's murder in there, where it's beautifully set up and all but anyone who's read up on the Revolution for more than five minutes already knows exactly what happened.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by fenghuang View Post
    I personally think the game is too un-optimised for the PC.

The story is boring. I studied French history somewhat and from what I seen how AC:U dealt with the political figures, it doesn't give them the depth they deserve, even if they are taking artistic license with them.
    That's just normal in the series. It is pop-history, if anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Personally, I got tired of the seafaring pretty early on in Black Flag and look forward to going back to historical sightseeing on foot, in an interesting environment. I appreciated the change, but it got kind of boring after a while, and the constant interruptions annoyed me. I don't want to think about the hassle of collecting all bits and pieces lying around, what with getting on and off the ship and what have you.

Anyway, how is the "present day" sections of Unity? I found those parts of Black Flag to be horrendous. Slow, uneventful vomit of exposition and lore, without any challenge whatsoever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What are the characters and story like? People have talked a lot about it being 'assassins creed as usual' but whilst that might give me a good summation of the gameplay elements, it doesn't tell me whether the character interactions and storytelling are worth a damn. I'll put up with a lot to get some not offputting story flung at me. And I don't mean 'the present day stuff' - it never bothered me as much as it did some people, but I mean the plot of the main characters and their associates in revolutionary france. Does it at least pull you along? Are there some well written moments? Any interesting characters?

I've enjoyed the series less and less since 2, stopping at 3 - which I believe is pretty much the template for all the subsequent games.

I mean, that's of no relevance for you unless you've played them; but Ubisoft streamlined it mechanically - all the free-running was never complicated, but I felt more in control with an actual jump button; killstreaks are no fun, countering I feel became trivially easy - and just added shiny things on top of the already kinda unnecessarily bloated ACII; not so much 'find the things' as 'collect the things'.

If III is anything to go by, any encounters with historical figures are likely to be just sort of a 'historical figures bingo' - ah how I enjoyed standing inside a shop doing nothing while Ben Franklin monologuing at me; I know you've got da Vinci and Machiavelli showing up in ACII, but more as characters than coin operated presidents.

The database entries are interesting enough, but at III the writers felt the need to shoehorn some kind of witticism or joke into EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN ENTRY and that became tiresome as soon as I noticed it.

Really, I believe that the core concept is strong enough to get by on great level design, pacing and structure (and narrative structure, I guess, in a cinematic game), without having to add things for the sake of having things to do. Clearly Ubisoft feels differently.