Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

MGS V: Ground Zeroes PC

Is anyone else playing this?
    I like it a lot!
    You know how in most stealth games fucking up usually means death or at least mission failure? Ground Zeroes is nothing like that. Mistakes don't make the game harder, only different. So many systems and options are available, and they're all rock-solid. This is a brilliant sandbox game.

The main story mission took me 90 minutes to complete.
    There are six additional missions. They all take place in the same location but in different weather and light conditions. I'm working my way through the third one, so far having played 3.5 hours. These side ops also teach new mechanics.

This is the kind of game that keeps you awake at night thinking about new strategies.

As for the writing, story and cutscenes:

They're not intrusive, at least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Finally developers are considering releasing proper demos.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Welcome to MGS, glad you've stopped by :)

As you can imagine for a fan, this is what we were excited by when it released earlier in the year. It is an extension and evolution of MGS proper into the open world, and yes, it's been done that well :)

You can even go as far back as MGS3 in 2004 to see the same fundamental gameplay within large and quite complex environments. All the same no insta-fail gameplay and player-driven gameplay that still guides the series today.

This is definitely only a small taste until MGS5 TPP proper arrives. I'm happy that PC gamers get to come back to MGS after a very long time, and see why people love the MGS gameplay and hold it in such high regard.

Contrary to what others may say, there is no modern-action-stealth game that plays like it, or plays as well, and on top of that accommodates so many play styles. The gameplay style is genuinely player driven rather than prescribed.1 Yes there are some scripted moments to take advantage of during the demo, but these are abstracted into the real-time gameplay which is great.

P.S.

On the story front: this game will be decidedly darker than previous games. This is the story of Big Boss' experiences which lead him to become the villain we see in the original Metal Gear (not Solid) games.

Not to say the humour will be absent, but it may not be in the same spades as in other games. There is after all still a multi-tool cardboard box which is more multi-featured than ever :)

I haven't read the RPS hivemind impressions of the game, but I have been told they are quite high on it, and tbh it's a game I expect that would impress them. There are all the ingredients of a masterfully well playing game in this short preview of MGS5.
    Last edited by rockman29; 19-12-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Just a shame we have to pay for them now. /SCNR

Anyway, is it worth the 14€? I'm tempted, but ... I think I paid less for Brothers, and that lasts longer (it's a stupid argument, I know, but still).
    Last edited by DanMan; 19-12-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Bad practices often become a trend if not dealt with.

Buy it from Nuuvem for 8 euros.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Just a shame we have to pay for them now. /SCNR

Anyway, is it worth the 14? I'm tempted, but ... I think I payed less for Brothers, and that lasts longer (it's a stupid argument, I know, but still).
    From what I understand the value is in replaying it; if you're only into going through stuff once then ditching it, it's probably not for you.

I'm tempted, though I can't really afford it right now (I use Nuuvem, but I draw the line at VPNs to dodge regional pricing, dumb though that may be) plus I'm not comfortable with the ham-fisted attempts at going grimdark. The Beauties were one thing, rape as a narrative crutch is another. It's cool to see RPS like it, though. Mention of those Kojima details put a smile on my face.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    As for the writing, story and cutscenes:
    isnt mgs loved precisely for its campyness tho?

PC? I thought it came on DVD, Blu-Ray, and Streaming formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This game is awesome. Phantom Pain was barely on my radar, now it's my most anticipated game of 2015. The port is impeccable, the controls and performance are incredibly smooth, Camp Omega is a delight to explore, and the game's AI is incredibly fun to fuck with.

I like it so much it inspired me to get Sniper Elite 3, because I need MORE sneaking in big, outdoor environments. But I'm not playing it yet because I need to ace Ground Zeros.

Recommended!

I just want to know how much jyoshikohei is in it.
    post in progress

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Buy it from Nuuvem for 8 euros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I use Nuuvem, but I draw the line at VPNs to dodge regional pricing, dumb though that may be
    He already answered that for me. I don't like the thought of running my login and Paypal data through some 3rd party servers, as paranoid as that may be.

I like the whole MGS thing (I've played all but the one on PS3 and enjoyed all of them). The stingy Swabian in me just can't process the thought of spending that much money on a glorified demo. I mean, I recently downloaded the free PES 2015 demo, and if you only mildly care about football, that is really all you need to have hours of fun. So why would I pay 14 bucks for this, if I have my backlog staring back at me, angrily and disapprovingly?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I like the whole MGS thing (I've played all but the one on PS3 and enjoyed all of them). The stingy Swabian in me just can't process the thought of spending that much money on a glorified demo. I mean, I recently downloaded the free PES 2015 demo, and if you only mildly care about football, that is really all you need to have hours of fun. So why would I pay 14 bucks for this, if I have my backlog staring back at me, angrily and disapprovingly?
    So don't? :P I may well just skip it myself and wait for The Phantom Pain. But at the same time I can readily see why people are going nuts over it. That's not meant to be completely dismissive, I do take your point over the PES demo, but... from everything I've read Ground Zeroes is more like one giant, hugely detailed pitch with a couple of hundred players and the option to tear up the rulebook. You're still basically working towards the same goal or goals every time, but there's a good chance two playthroughs of Ground Zeroes won't look nearly as much the same as two football matches would.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    So don't? :P
    Finally, a clear advice to follow. ;)

But seriously, I guess I'll pass for now. Revengeance is dirt cheap right now after maybe 10 months. That's what I expect GZ to be once Phantom Pain is out (which will probably be 50-60€ on release, so I won't be buying that at launch anyway).

Too much of a cat in the bag for me. I guess I'll just buy me some Virtua Tennis. ;p
    Last edited by DanMan; 19-12-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Paypal data through some 3rd party servers, as paranoid as that may be.
    so just like steam?
    but seriously isnt it common practice by now to have separate account for electronic transactions only thats linked to paypal
    Last edited by grasskit; 19-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    so just like steam?
    That's not how that works. No 3rd party there (OAuth).
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    but seriously isnt it common practice by now to have separate account for electronic transactions only thats linked to paypal
    I don't understand what you mean without any punctuation.

Tell me how long it takes you guys to figure out how to do this :P

Network Hub
    That opening cutscene though. So flashy. Probably one of the best shot in game rendered intro's iv ever watched. Kojima really nails the realistic mannerisms and then adds fucking Skeletor...

I don't understand what you mean without any punctuation.
    1. account with your money
    2. account thats linked with paypal that you put money in, to pay for shit

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    That opening cutscene though. So flashy. Probably one of the best shot in game rendered intro's iv ever watched. Kojima really nails the realistic mannerisms and then adds fucking Skeletor...
    "kept you waitng huh"
    so cheesy, yet i cant help but love it
    Last edited by grasskit; 20-12-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I'm glad we can finally complain that MGS has too few cutscenes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P*Funk View Post
    I'm glad we can finally complain that MGS has too few cutscenes.
    It's true Mr. Kojima is obsessed with movie directing. Yet the ultimate goal of those cutscenes are for demonstrating power of the game engine. MGS seems to be the only video game in the world with no one second of pre-rendered video.