Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Re-installing New Vegas

I'm re-installing New Vegas again. I played through once upon release, but only once. I've since bought all the dlc for it, but every time I try to play through it again (I've tried several times), I get bogged down installing far too many mods (it's a weakness of mine). I also make multiple characters, and I'm unable to decide which one to play. I need help if I'm ever going to get this playthrough started.

I have 2 questions:

1. What are mods people consider essential, or at least add a great deal of enjoyment to the game?

2. What characters have you played and had the most fun with? I played a sniper on my first playthrough and hung out with Boone all game.

I'd appreciate any input. I'd like to actually play the game this time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    There was already a thread with some members actually providing detailed recommendations for mods. Probably a bit outdated though.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...=fallout+vegas

My 2 cents:

Random start location and no doc Mitchell.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45739/?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I should update that guide now that work is boring again.

ANYWAY

Key question for me is what experience do you want? In the past I tried to make it all things to all people, and it was just *too big*, there was something to do everywhere, and not small something either. For a basic playable experience I would recommend most of the mods as listed under the "Let's make it" Work, Immersive and Challenging bits. This will take a while, and be boring, unless you like this sort of thing. It is absolutely worth it though, because unlike Skyrim which also takes hours to Mod, the reward is an accessible, responsive, more or less the-way-God-intended copy of one of the most original and generally best written games ever made.

After that I would work out whether you want to sandbox it, in which case mods which add more to the Wasteland itself like World of Pain and New Vegas Bounty's etc should be the plan, while forgetting about the things like the Uncut series. Whereas there is just so much in the game as stock that if you want to do a quest line and actually end up completing it for Mr House, NCR, yourself or The Legion I wouldn't add anything else, just go with the random encounters mod, maybe some different traits or a different RPG ruleset, and the Uncut content.

You can prettify it as you like, that's the thing that has moved on the most since I wrote the guide, most people are playing with pretty good ENB Shaders that enhance everything considerably beyond the fixes I suggested. You'll have to shop around for folk's suggestions as to which are the best in that regard.

Key thing as ever-the more stuff you add, the less stable it gets. It's very tempting to keep adding things as you go along but once you've got a modded copy that humms nicely with a load order that works JUST PLAY THE GAME and STOP TOUCHING IT BACK THERE.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    My personal hints: Install"Mission Mojave" and Mission Mojave Plus. Install PuceMooce's "Tales of the desert sands" (IIRC, - I just know PuceMoose is awesome!) and play it Alternatively, install YUP (Yukichigai's unofficial patch), and install all the "restoration mods" by MoBurma. Install PuceMooce's quest mod over it and play! Have fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Stop this madness, I got work to do! I'm already craving XCOM, don't make me replay New Vegas!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Stop this madness, I got work to do! I'm already craving XCOM, don't make me replay New Vegas!
    I'm jonesing for it now too

Sonson, thank you and I'll take you up on your offer. I never really liked Fallout New Vegas much even though I loved Fallout 3. What I want out of Fallout New Vegas:

1. More stuff to explore. I loved FO3 because I was finding things around every corner. New Vegas was mostly just open desert. Now it helps that I know Washington DC and that makes the area personally more interesting, but I never found a really "cool" area in NV like the Mall in DC.

2. I dislike the starting area. Immensely. I also detest being allowed to only go one direction from that starting area due to the deathclaws barring the way elsewhere.

3. Better weapons earlier. I'm a sniper and I had the hardest time finding a decent sniper rifle until very late. It made exploring and combat not so fun for me running around with various 6 shooters for the longest time.

4. Something that nerfs the bugs on the mountainsides (cazadors?). I hate those things. Too damn hard to hit and too many hit points.

5. I don't care about companions and don't use them for much. Should I and is there a mod that helps with this?

6. Something that makes main the story more interesting. None of the factions are that compelling and the Caesar's Legion is laughably evil while the CNR is impotent.

7. I'd like to see New Vegas in all its glory and not parceled up into little bits. My rig isn't the best though.

8. A cool place to call my own that's not sci-fi based.
    Last edited by Granath; 29-10-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    2. I dislike the starting area. Immensely. I also detest being allowed to only go one direction from that starting area due to the deathclaws barring the way elsewhere.

3. Better weapons earlier. I'm a sniper and I had the hardest time finding a decent sniper rifle until very late. It made exploring and combat not so fun for me running around with various 6 shooters for the longest time.
    This will work for you. Last time I played with this I started at Bitter Springs with a combat rifle.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45739/?
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 29-10-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for all the input so far. It looks like I have a bit of modding to do. I'm thinking of going with a more mercenary-commando type this time, so new vegas bounties looks promising. It's not too different from my NCR loving sniper, but guns are fun (in games of course). I'm not entirely set on it though, so I'd welcome any roleplaying and gameplay suggestions.

Great thread. I just started with pretty much nothing other than Project Nevada, and kinda just feel like something is missing. To the modding cave!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Hate threads like this,and they pop out every month several times.. Is it that hard to google that shit up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Hate threads like this,and they pop out every month several times.. Is it that hard to google that shit up.
    This is why stikeys and sub fora exist, but dumb ass MMO games get sub fora(You heard me Wildstar) but mods and excellent well loved other games don't. Whatever.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    This is why stikeys and sub fora exist, but dumb ass MMO games get sub fora(You heard me Wildstar) but mods and excellent well loved other games don't. Whatever.
    Mod note: Subforums exist for games with an active RPS community (and MMOs tend to generate a lot of interest). Some of these subforums die out after a while and then get removed, because they clog up the page. We don't need a seperate forum for every game someone might have a passing interest in.

Anyway, anyone could just ask for a new subforum or a sticky but I guess that's as much work as using the search function? I mean, you're a subforum mod yourself, you should know how these things work.

Edit: Also, the games that currently have seperate subforums are those that have spawned several threads. Therfore, and as Skyturnedred has suggested below, a subforum for modding in general does make sense.
    Last edited by Squiz; Yesterday at 12:25 PM. Reason: Inserted mod note
    Forum janitor in training.

Sub-forum for game modding in general would be great.

Noted, will suggest it to Jim.

Would be nice if someone compiled ENB installation notes in one neat article. I always stumble on that step.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Is a sub-forum really needed? It's not like we're drowning in topics on the front page. And I think most RPSers aren't interested in modding as a topic, but might occasionally be interested in suggestions for mods for games they like. It's just another place to check.

The game specific forums are different as they're generally for communities of players. Though even that can be kind of odd as general topics about those games that I might be interested in, despite not being an active player or part of the community, also end up in there and I miss them.

This forum isn't busy enough to need a sub-forum for mods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm a mod what now?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I'm a mod what now?
    Looks like you are indeed.