QuantaCat, Why Are You Locking Threads?

I tried just PMing you, but your mailbox is full so the only way to ask this is publicly.

Why lock the "Bite the Hand" thread? Unless you deleted comments, there doesn't seem to be any reason to do so. I understand locking threads that have devolved into flame wars or rampant personal attacks, but why that one? What standards are you using to determine whether a thread should be locked so the rest of us can know why/when something is out of bounds?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    He's a mad man, out of control, on a whiskey bender and out of smokes.

No wait. That's Bernard Black.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I posted about the point being in kicking a man when hes obviously fucked up, then some new users continued to do so. I dont see a point in having this thread around, there are better discussions to be had.

except, of course, self gratification.

also, my inbox is a bit free-er now.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

There's nothing in that thread that breaks any code of conduct and the story is still newsworthy given the tweets his partner is making and the effort to get the game back on Steam.

In all due respect, it's not your job to cut off civil discourse on this forum. It's your job to cut off uncivil discourse. In essence, the message you're sending is that you will cut off discussion on any controversial topics at any time for arbitrary reasons.

Please reconsider your decision on this and other threads like this.
    Last edited by Granath; Today at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    There's nothing in that thread that breaks any code of conduct and the story is still newsworthy given the tweets his partner is making and the effort to get the game back on Steam.

In all due respect, it's not your job to cut off civil discourse on this forum. It's your job to cut off uncivil discourse. In essence, the message you're sending is that you will cut off discussion on any controversial topics at any time for arbitrary reasons.

Please reconsider your decision on this and other threads like this.
    Didnt you get the memo? yes, we are closing down certain discussions. Jim pretty much said so.

As for the thing, I dont know if theres an effort being made for the game to get back on steam, however, I dont see why further abuse should go in the direction of one person, which is what the thread was going for, in the end.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Didnt you get the memo? yes, we are closing down certain discussions. Jim pretty much said so.

As for the thing, I dont know if theres an effort being made for the game to get back on steam, however, I dont see why further abuse should go in the direction of one person, which is what the thread was going for, in the end.
    So because you're not up to speed on a topic (there is an effort) and because people are expressing their opinion about someone who did a dumb thing, the thread gets locked. It sounds like the "be excellent to each other" instruction has now morphed into "be excellent to everyone, regardless of what they do".

ROCK, PAPER, SHOTGUN: NO CONTROVERSY ALLOWED

So because you're not up to speed on a topic (there is an effort) and because people are expressing their opinion about someone who did a dumb thing, the thread gets locked. It sounds like the "be excellent to each other" instruction has now morphed into "be excellent to everyone, regardless of what they do".

ROCK, PAPER, SHOTGUN: NO CONTROVERSY ALLOWED
    now youre sounding like the idiot GGers.

no, the problem is: if there is discussion to be had without referring to the idiot that made death threats, sure. I cant see it. You are free to make a topic that doesnt base on him fucking up, but on his recovery, maybe thatll steer people towards something positive instead of something negative
    - Tom De Roeck.

no, the problem is: if there is discussion to be had without referring to the idiot that made death threats, sure. I cant see it. You are free to make a topic that doesnt base on him fucking up, but on his recovery, maybe thatll steer people towards something positive instead of something negative
    First of all, your post is "not being excellent" to me. That's fucking insulting and you need to apologize.

Your second paragraph confirmed exactly what I said - "be excellent to each other" has now morphed into "be excellent to everyone, regardless of what they do".

And the thread can`t be repurposed towards that because...? I`ve voiced my opinion on him, but there is potentially an interesting discussion to be had on the topic. For all intents and purposes, you locked it because someone said the dreaded 'G' word. Besides, the only connection with those dullards is tangential at best. There were really 2 discussions going on in parallel: one was people beating a dead horse (guilty as charged), and the second was whether Valve had overreacted, and how much of the blame they had to shoulder for their incompetently-designed systems. I understand perhaps pruning the former, but the latter had (in my opinion) some merit.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    "ROCK, PAPER, SHOTGUN: NO CONTROVERSY ALLOWED"

Did you not notice that thread was on its sixth page or something? Surely you can see that it was either struggling to stay on topic (discussing what Twitter is for, etc.) or repeating itself? Any other forum I've seen would lock a thread under the same circumstances.

Getting all hyperbolic about it isn't going to help the situation or help you get the conclusion you want. Mods/admins are human like you, humans make mistakes, if you think someone has made a mistake it's better to discuss it with them directly and take it from there than jump straight to making a finger-pointy thread in the hope that others will jump in. I personally agree with you, if there's more to discuss - the effort to get PA back on Steam may be worth discussing, though I personally wouldn't participate - then the thread should be reopened, with the caveat that if it's overrun with 'Mike Maulbeck is a colossal twat' then it'll be closed again. Same as any other forum would, really.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    ..if you think someone has made a mistake it's better to discuss it with them directly and take it from there than jump straight to making a finger-pointy thread in the hope that others will jump in.
    Re-read the opening sentence of the opening line of this thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    First of all, your post is "not being excellent" to me. That's fucking insulting and you need to apologize.
    Well you now need to apologize as well dont you? Because using curse words isnt quite excellent by any measure!

Also yeah, it's discussed somewhere else. Bit futile to drag it into this forum.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Well, since the topic even made it to the front page (unlike others) I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed here, especially since the comment section beneath said article is open, too.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -