Network Hub

Civ: Beyond Earth

Anyone else a teensy bit excited?

I don't pre-order games.

Well, I kinda do. Looking back I've pre-ordered three games in the last four years - Civilisation V, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and, now, Civ: Beyond Earth. Which I guess says something pretty positive about Firaxis and 2K Games.

Previews haven't entirely eliminated my re-skin fears, and they've left me wishing there was just a little more Alpha Centauri in the mix; but I still find myself inappropriately excited for a grown adult.

If I've figured out timezones correctly (after 3 decades on this earth and years of physics education I still feel in my gut that people in different timezones are from the future) then it unlocks at midnight tomorrow night, Blighty Time.

I might just stay up past my bedtime.

Just one more turn, you understand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    i was.

then i saw the price tag. 90 usd....

yeah. gotta wait for Christmas 2015 or if you get 10 percent raise at work.

Network Hub
    Ouch - I take it you're down under?

Something odd(er than usual) seems to be happening with Aus/NZ prices. At 30 in the UK (c. $50 US?) it falls into my "very occasional treat" price bracket.

If it's any consolation, I recall XCOM released around this time last year and I seem to recall it still got a fairly decent discount a couple of months later at the winter sale - a third off or something I think.

A little bit. But I'll hold off for a while, I still remember the launch state of Civ-V.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Will probably play it. Good thing is that the reviews will pop up tomorrow when the embargo lifts so you will still have time to pre-order after that. That said though, the pre-order incentives seem quite poor anyway.
    Last edited by jnx; Today at 01:09 PM.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    GMG had it for 22.50 on pre-order a while ago, which seemed like a no-brainer to me. Even if it IS just 'CIV V in Space' (which the previews seem to suggest) that'll still do for me. I've bought all the civ V expansions, don't see why this would be any less interesting/fun :-).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Will probably play it. Good thing is that the reviews will pop up tomorrow when the embargo lifts so you will still have time to pre-order after that. That said though, the pre-order incentives seem quite poor anyway.
    Ahh that's a far more sensible approach, always a little wary of embargoes so close to release - what are they hiding? Were it for any other franchise, by any other dev, and any other publisher I'd probably have held off. But I suspect worst case scenario is that I'll still get 100 hours out of it.

Main reason for pre-order (yesterday) was that I wasn't sure when they'd dump the pre-order discount and shoot the price up another tenner, placing it into my "yeah, I'll just wait for a sale" bracket. 30 now, 40 quid on release, down to 20 in six weeks time, and 5 in 2015 summer sale would be my guess.

The pre-order "DLC" does indeed seem a bit pants - map packs never really did anything for me in Civ and they fail to make me all tingly for Beyond Earth too.

I'm quite exited about it but I can hold out until there's a sale. I hope it turns out amazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
    I don't pre-order games.

Well, I kinda do. Looking back I've pre-ordered three games in the last four years - Civilisation V, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and, now, Civ: Beyond Earth. Which I guess says something pretty positive about Firaxis and 2K Games.
    Same here. Though this will be the first time in a few years I didn't take a day off work for a Firaxis release.

I have had this pre-ordered since it was announced. Firaxis is the only developer that I will do that for and I have only been burned once (Colonization, which was awful until user-made patches). I have over 1,000 hours in Civ IV and about 400 in Civ V so I have little doubt I will get my money's worth from this one.

Of course I also greatly enjoy Endless Legend, so it should be interesting to see which one I prefer more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    i was.

then i saw the price tag. 90 usd....

yeah. gotta wait for Christmas 2015 or if you get 10 percent raise at work.
    Nuuvem are selling it for ~$35. Assuming I'll be able to make a decent dent in my current backlog this weekend, I plan on picking it up in the near future.

Activated Node
    I've always found that the Firaxis games are best enjoyed well after release, after everything's been ironed out. I got into Civ IV around Warlords but didn't really fall in love with it until well after BTS came out, and was able to take advantage of a well-developed mod scene, not to mention all the AI improvements and bug fixes. I feel the same way about XCOM - despite it being the sort of game I'd wanted for years, I somehow managed to avoid buying it for something like 18-20 months. And I'm still not done with an EU playthrough, because I recently fell in love with Civ V for the first time, despite owning it and playing it on and off since release. (Immersion was very low in Civ V originally, and it felt very board game-y; only with a bunch more mods that increase immersion without changing the actual game have I been able to break through that mental barrier.)

So I'll probably hold off on BE for a while, maybe until it's "done" and there's some kind of discounted GotY edition or whatever. A lot of the features on release don't seem to excite me: too few factions, and it seems like most of the game features can be described in a pretty short list, seems like it needs a lot more "stuff" to me.