Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Final Fantasy XIII, What You Think?

Guys who have bought and tried out this game, on whatever platform it is, how does this game look?

Gameplay, graphics, and the like, how it performs?

Great day because Final Fantasy makes a great comeback. I for one is truly delighted. Will definitely try out when I have time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    It looks good, but not great I think. I think it released in 2011, so it's aged a bit, and not too well. The art/graphics aren't horrible or anything, but not terribly impressive either I guess. The world is very not-interactive and sterile feeling IMO.

Some may say you need to pass "20 hours to get to the good part." I don't agree with that. You get to the only large area in the game where you have to constantly do quests with essentially zero context to unlock better gear. Just don't think that is exciting by any means.

Others might recall that FF X (not yet available for PC unless you emulate.... which I don't recommend against, very fun game, I hope people buy the game though :)) is also similarly very linear. But I'd say that game has much more to explore in terms of narratives and environments during that journey, as opposed to FF XIII where that kind of RPG element is virtually absent.

FF XIII's story is some concoction of poorly developed characters mixed with probably the most poorly thought out presentation. You will hear words like I'cie and Fal'cie for 90% of the experience and not have any idea what they are referring to for that time.

I'll try to illustrate that a bit better with a comparison that I hope helps (with numbers!)... If Chrono Cross' presentation of a "battle against Fate" is a 9/10 or 10/10 or something.... FF XIII's presentation is like a 2.

Gameplay I just did not like so it won't help if I comment on it. I much prefer the gameplay of previous FF games.

I wouldn't recommend buying this game even if the PC port were of exceptional quality. And given the technical issues, I definitely don't recommend it.

The money might be better spent on getting both of FF VII and VIII on a sale, if you are fine with playing games from that decade. Or maybe FF III and IV. All available for PC now I think.
    Last edited by rockman29; 12-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    For guys who get troubled by stuttering, be sure to read this solution:

http://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy...worked_for_me/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I liked the "open world" part, though I never got beyond that bit on PS3. But I'm not planning to get it any time soon, what with the giant download size and the port issues (DSFix does not work for me on Deadly Premonition, so I'm not totally reassured that Durante is basically going to fix everything). I would say yes, it does get significantly better after 20 hours or whatever, but I'd also say that's not a very good thing to say about any game, and that "it gets better" certainly doesn't mean "I guarantee you'll think those 20 hours or so were worth the hassle".

Of course, I wouldn't recommend any of the FF games available on PC, but then let me say it again - the only FF games I really liked were XII, War of the Lions and Tactics A2. I'm currently only interested in XV because the gameplay clips they posted make it look vaguely like XII's "open" world and more free-form combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I liked the "open world" part, though I never got beyond that bit on PS3. But I'm not planning to get it any time soon, what with the giant download size and the port issues (DSFix does not work for me on Deadly Premonition, so I'm not totally reassured that Durante is basically going to fix everything). I would say yes, it does get significantly better after 20 hours or whatever, but I'd also say that's not a very good thing to say about any game, and that "it gets better" certainly doesn't mean "I guarantee you'll think those 20 hours or so were worth the hassle".

Of course, I wouldn't recommend any of the FF games available on PC, but then let me say it again - the only FF games I really liked were XII, War of the Lions and Tactics A2. I'm currently only interested in XV because the gameplay clips they posted make it look vaguely like XII's "open" world and more free-form combat.
    You mean DPFix? DSFix is for Dark Souls only.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by commentingaccount View Post
    You mean DPFix? DSFix is for Dark Souls only.
    Sorry, typo. Although I thought he was basically using quite similar... code, I guess, for both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Sorry, typo. Although I thought he was basically using quite similar... code, I guess, for both of them?
    First post about it(http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=366) doesn't mentioned any similarities to the DSFix code, but I wouldn't be surprised. Both are open source now, if you have enough knowledge you can look for yourself.

My favorite blurb on FF13 comes from the one curator that recommends it on Steam:

"If you are looking for a game with bad characters, a confusing story, but a nice battle system and nice music, Final Fantasy 13 is the Game for you."

That sums up my thoughts on it nicely, as well.
    ~

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    My favorite blurb on FF13 comes from the one curator that recommends it on Steam:

"If you are looking for a game with bad characters, a confusing story, but a nice battle system and nice music, Final Fantasy 13 is the Game for you."

That sums up my thoughts on it nicely, as well.
    Sounds more like resonance of fate to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Alevice View Post
    Sounds more like resonance of fate to me.
    It could fit a lot (a lot) of JRPGs, to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm actually sort of enjoying it. It looks good, and my expectations were super low. Some characters are alright, some so far have been...a bit annoying I guess. Still I'll plow on a bit.
    steam: sketch

Activated Node
    I remember playing it on my PS3.

God it was boring. There are about 12 chapters. You spend the first 9 chapters in corridors and learning game mechanics that could have easily been introduced in 3 chapters if the game didn't treat you like a 5 year old kid.

First 9 chapters is just plenty of repetitive battling. You don't need to do anything except pressing Foward and A/Ok/Yes.

For battles, you just have to press A, A, A, A, A, A, A, Paradigm Shift, A, A, A, A, Shift and the battle wins itself. For harder battles, just cast Libra manually once and repeat the above.

Once you get to Chapter 10, its an "open-world" with only 2 areas that is essentially 1 huge area. Nothing you do in this open world matters because the story is linear. The world doesn't change even if you complete all the quests in this open world. There are no "towns". No people to interact with, nothing.

You will move on to Chapter 11 and 12, which are just corridors and where the battles become slightly more interesting.
    However, they are still largely hand-holding and nothing compared to the complex battle systems of FF12 or FFX and FFX-2.

FF13 was the game that threw me off Final Fantasy series.
    I started FF at FFX and I enjoyed X, X2 and 12. 13 was nothing like the aforementioned 3 in terms of depth of gameplay.

I would say the pinnacle of good game design in the FF main series is at FF12.
    FF12 is also the only game that introduces a very unique political setting where the characters you play aren't larger than life. They did manage to change the political situation of their world, but nothing like the "world-changing" stuff the other FF games' stories did.
    Last edited by fenghuang; 12-10-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fenghuang View Post
    FF12 is also the only game that introduces a very unique political setting where the characters you play aren't larger than life. They did manage to change the political situation of their world, but nothing like the "world-changing" stuff the other FF games' stories did.
    Which is one reason it's the best of the lot. Nearly all of the characters are people as much as they're fantasy archetypes. Even Vaan: he's a boardroom-mandated shill for mass-market appeal, but he still seems - to me - like an affable nobody with big dreams who's somehow managed to tag along with the good guys, and the voice acting and the way the script treats this with a knowing smile (Balthier's constant "...because I'm the leading man") makes him seem like a legitimate part of the story. (Just not in the way the Squenix executives intended.) It is the only FF game so far brave enough to ditch the watered-down Joseph Campbell and it is nigh on criminal how much it got criticised for it.

I wouldn't say XIII is a bad game, but it's a deeply, deeply flawed one, and it's got nothing on XII, for all that game's tortured development.

EDIT: Also, the setting - Ivalice remains one of my all-time favourite fantasy worlds, and one of the few I think I'd visit if I could, hordes of monsters, political strife and all-out warfare be damned.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I remember how much I loved VII when it came out on PC and I spent ages playing it and completing it. To me, it was an incredible game, absolutely marvelous in every aspect (again, I repeat, for me). Then I played about half of VIII, which was ok but I didn't like nowhere near as much as VII.

And then I made the mistake of buying XIII on my PS3 (which in itself was a stupid purchase, as I hardly ever made much use of it). My god what a horrible game. Actually, I cannot for the life of me term it as game. One fucking linear corridor (literaly) with endless battles against generic enemies, with a battle system that made no sense to me and was absolutely no fun what.so.ever. I stopped at about 10 hours through, I just couldn't bring myself to suffer it any longer. Bleh.

Network Hub
    Just for the record, I've played every FF from 7 to 12 and the latter was terribly grindy. The boss battles were so much more difficult, you had to grind pretty hard to get past them. It played like a MMO, and I just can't approve of that.

I might pick up 13 one day when it's dirt cheap though...
    Last edited by DanMan; 13-10-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I rather enjoyed FFXIII, but then I liked the character of Vanille which probably disqualifies my opinion according to most.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

XIII has nothing on XII as far as I'm concerned either. Despite some inconsistent storytelling, XII has great presentation in cutscenes and gameplay. The world building they did is fantastic and the environments are gorgeous too.

The sidequests were not terribly exciting since most were based on the bounty system IIRC, and they could get a bit repetitive, but that's about the only thing I did not like about the gameplay. I loved exploring the environments, they were just awesome looking, and I enjoyed the gameplay. It is definitely structurally similar to a MMO, but it doesn't feel as depersonalized and slow-reacting IMO. It feels like you are more directly in control of the party, like a typical single player Final Fantasy game. And people talk a lot about how "the gambit system plays for you." But I think considering the design of the game, the gambit system was a blessing, and its customization meant you could stroll through easy dungeon crawls, or focus your team towards some particular capability during more difficult fights.

Most of the FF games I feel have some great qualities, and then some special characteristics that make them unique and exciting. I look at the cover of Final Fantasy X and it evokes tons of memories I have of that experience. Hearing about the game before release, imagining the water world that was going to be drawn up, being amazed at just how cool that water sword looked... I sincerely miss those times...

FF XIII has always been the opposite of that for me. I can't remember many things I enjoyed. It does less than stellar in most aspects, poor in others. The only redeeming feature might be the gameplay, if you enjoy it. I'm on the side of calling it a repetitive, dull, slow-button-mashing fest.

And who came up with that awful, awful weapon and upgrading system? It didn't have any depth or sensibility around it at all. I'm almost certain it barely made any sense beyond "get more stuff, go further in linear upgrade tree."

The soundtrack of FF XIII is quite good though. Mostly done by Masashi Hamauzu. It's the one thing I would say is very exceptional in the game.
    Last edited by rockman29; 13-10-2014 at 02:09 AM.

XII's art style was weird to me. One character was a bikini-clad female with huge bunny ears, and another appeared like a parody of a cover model for a homosexual erotica magazine.

In-game representation may have been different. I only ever viewed the concept artwork.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    One fucking linear corridor (literaly) with endless battles against generic enemies, with a battle system that made no sense to me and was absolutely no fun what.so.ever. I stopped at about 10 hours through, I just couldn't bring myself to suffer it any longer. Bleh.
    I want to recall Square blaming the corridor level design on the cost of (then) next gen game making, saying that the sheer cost of next gen graphics meant that they couldn't afford to make an RPG with more open areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dudebro View Post
    XII's art style was weird to me. One character was a bikini-clad female with huge bunny ears, and another appeared like a parody of a cover model for a homosexual erotica magazine.

In-game representation may have been different. I only ever viewed the concept artwork.
    Twas' the same metal-clad Valkyrie bunny :D

She was quite suave and awesome in the game, I liked her banter (?) with Balthier, they were the "cool" characters in the game :P

Vaan looked and acted less metrosexual in the game than he did appear in those concept arts :)

Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    I want to recall Square blaming the corridor level design on the cost of (then) next gen game making, saying that the sheer cost of next gen graphics meant that they couldn't afford to make an RPG with more open areas.
    Yes they made the excuse several times that it was "too hard" to make towns in HD.

Several times. And some people believed it.

And for fun my own shot of FF XII in 4K smexiness using PCSX2 :)

Last edited by rockman29; 13-10-2014 at 02:33 AM.