Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Online Gamers Mostly InCapable of Admiration

Seriously, if you go through a forum for any online game, be them PvP or Coop, have you ever find post that players are admiring each other's skills? I see none. All I see is that players around are cursing each other. Hackusations are the most frequently appearing, it's only a tip of the iceberg. On the road, drivers are often involved in road rage, in games, gamers are very often driven into game rage.

People just never know how to admire others' outstanding skills.

What's wrong with modern age people?

As you yourself have pointed out, it's not an observation restricted to online/games. It really doesn't make a lot of sense given most of us would ourselves appreciate genuine praise for a job well done, yet we just don't tend to take action to do so for others.

Network Hub
    TF2 forums is full of people admiring skill. Guys like Stabby get lots of love because he posts videos of his finer moments and narrates them.

I think you find what you're looking for. Most people don't really post threads about how awesome they are. Usually they post videos and often its in those comments that you see the praise.

It's easy to make up stuff if we talk about people. Quake forums were friendly to me and
    a good portion of players spends time watching others style.
    I feel we are talking about people that feel cheated when losing so this doesn't sound about online gamers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    While playing, I've seen people congratulate each other quite a lot. Especially when using Voicechat.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    That's odd, years ago while playing Gears of War on Xbox, a guy in his kiddy voice (and typical American accent I am use to in those American TV shows) declared his intention to do something naughty with me, and I angrily cursed him back because I am not gay.

And my friends also had some similar experiences, except one is rather lucky, he had girls who made such declarations. I mean, people seem to easily forget the meaning of F words when they say those in rage.

Network Hub
    squirrel, as always, you confuse me.

Firstly: this isn't a problem of "modern age people". In any era, there have always been people who have accused other people of "cheating" on tests of skill. The issue with the modern era is concentration and ease of access to those opinions - rather than muttering to each other at the back of the hall, those people comment on public messageboards and in voice chat where everyone is aware of them. (That is to say: I think you're suffering from Mean World Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_world_syndrome) ).

Secondly, are you seriously complaining about people using swear words as swear words when they're angry or stressed?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    1 vs 1 RTS players seem to be a place where mutual respect is frequent. Also stealth games and MilSims(and simlike squad fps like Project Reality).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Secondly, are you seriously complaining about people using swear words as swear words when they're angry or stressed?
    Squirrel posts threads very reactively, if you embrace this oddity you'll find he still brings up quality topics... With loads of capital letters and everything.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    I am now convinced that Squirrel is a grumpy old man who spends most of his time on Gawker and cross-posts from Tumblr.

Seriously though, just because some guy in your latest TF2 match was a cunt doesn`t mean the same automatically applies to the entirety of the gamer demographic. Yes, people in FPS games can get angry, but so can people in a football match, or handegg (deflated eggs...), or any other situation where competitive mindsets are encouraged. Frankly, I find the assertion in the thread title offensive, because you`re acting as if we were still in the 90`s "Ban this sick filth!" period, and gamers were somehow intrinsically antisocial, even though this very forum provides numerous examples indicating otherwise. Vocal minority =/= silent majority, thank you very much.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Vocal minority =/= silent majority, thank you very much.
    Except DoTA where the players are mostly complete bastard with a small silent minority.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Seriously, if you go through a forum for any online game, be them PvP or Coop, have you ever find post that players are admiring each other's skills? I see none. All I see is that players around are cursing each other. Hackusations are the most frequently appearing, it's only a tip of the iceberg. On the road, drivers are often involved in road rage, in games, gamers are very often driven into game rage.

People just never know how to admire others' outstanding skills.

What's wrong with modern age people?
    Nice post, I enjoyed the content and formatting immensely.

Am I doing this right?

Seriously though, losing isn't fun and the environment/culture in gaming tends to be blame - blame the opponent for cheating, blame your teammates for not helping you. I play a lot of LoL (renowned for its shitty community) and you never get teammates being friendly to each other and never see people praising the opposition when they beat you. There's even weird labels they throw out in lieu of admitting you bested them like 'tryhard' - they tried hard to beat you and succeeded, and it's meant to be an insult.

Also if you call in help from a teammate in a game like LoL they will complain, that it's 2vs1 or that you camped them to win, as though using the game mechanics in the correct manner is somehow an act of dishonourable cheating.

People are sore losers in general, but it's definitely part of gamer culture to never admit that someone else is superior or skilled. The exception is pro gaming scenes, where the players are often deified (possibly applies to speedrunning scene as well, but tbf some of those guys are gods, albeit gods with a very niche domain).
    Last edited by Jockie; 24-01-2015 at 06:14 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

All I can think of is to suggest to play the few good online games at hand.
    The way it looks to me most people think getting perfect aim/movement is the thing to win every game but the moment perfect anythings are reached the gameplay goals shift towards map control as far as shooter go.
    Obviously people will feel cheated from their killers, they never die just like actual cheaters except they collect pick ups.
    It's probably worse in team based games where players can't tell the way they die at start because the individual power is so high.
    Don't care about those attempting to play characters
    Last edited by Wenz; 25-01-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node strange headache's Avatar
    I dunno, the old Guild Wars forums that I visited were full of people congratulating each other for their well thought out skill sets and team builds.

More recently I've seen people cheering each other on for their first steps in making a video game. I found it quite brilliant and really enjoyed people motivating each other.

A lot of well known streamers are admired for their impressive skills in a particular game. Sure there are always some who are envy, but I'd say they are a minority.
    C…TERVM CENSE” KOTAKVM ESSE D…L…NDAM.

Tends to happen more in smaller communities of people who play a specific game rather than in online games as a whole. It does happen, though. It's just that people who play one specific online game a lot tend to get wrapped up in their own ego of how skilled they see themselves as being. So any admission that another person is not only better than them, but so much better that they deserve praise/admiration for it tends to hurt the ego a person has inflated for themselves.
    ~∆

Quote Originally Posted by strange headache View Post
    I dunno, the old Guild Wars forums that I visited were full of people congratulating each other for their well thought out skill sets and team builds.

More recently I've seen people cheering each other on for their first steps in making a video game. I found it quite brilliant and really enjoyed people motivating each other.

A lot of well known streamers are admired for their impressive skills in a particular game. Sure there are always some who are envy, but I'd say they are a minority.
    I never went into the forums, but I know while playing Guild Wars, most people were really awesome.

The worst people were the ones who abandoned you in the middle of a mission without explanation beyond something like "lol" or "noobs." And if a mission failed there was often one person who decided it was because everyone else was useless and quit in a flustered rage. I liked most of the people I interacted with on Guild Wars though.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    Tends to happen more in smaller communities of people who play a specific game rather than in online games as a whole. It does happen, though. It's just that people who play one specific online game a lot tend to get wrapped up in their own ego of how skilled they see themselves as being. So any admission that another person is not only better than them, but so much better that they deserve praise/admiration for it tends to hurt the ego a person has inflated for themselves.
    I dunno. In TF2 I find the really badass players who congratulate one another a lot. It's about 50/50--they also snipe at each other a lot. But sometimes they'll be perfectly respectful of each other, though then again some of those times they'll basically act like no one else exists. A lot of the better players seem to be under the impression that being better at killing other players and staying alive automatically means they're carrying the team no matter how little they're contributing to the actual objective ...

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I dunno. In TF2 I find the really badass players who congratulate one another a lot. It's about 50/50--they also snipe at each other a lot. But sometimes they'll be perfectly respectful of each other, though then again some of those times they'll basically act like no one else exists. A lot of the better players seem to be under the impression that being better at killing other players and staying alive automatically means they're carrying the team no matter how little they're contributing to the actual objective ...
    Yeah TF2 being one of those rare exceptions. A lot of the people who might have otherwise polluted its community have long since trailed off in to other online games.
    ~∆

Idk why ego is always pointed out sooner or later. Looking at the games there's a lot of shit that doesn't require players to get good and players listing hundreds of games as gaming experience probably never learnt to play one and don't even know that.

fps arena duel theory takes 5 minutes to read and without any kind of mastering you become a noob god among noobs and rock deathmatches
    Last edited by Wenz; 25-01-2015 at 02:19 AM.

It's all the games' fault, they bring out the worst and attract the worst.

Take e.g. Trackmania, guy plays offline SP, guy thinks he's the God Amongst Men and Now They All Have to Bow in Front of Me. Guy goes online, eats Massive Pie of Humbleness. Guy doesn't scream, swear, stomp little feet, hackuse or abuse: he just learns to play the game and lo and behold, the whole process is not about taking an endless stream of shit from other players, it's not frustrating, like, at all - and wait what's the magical word again? ...fun?

Or small things like Hearthstone doing without the chat.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"