Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Far Cry 4 - Pseudo official discussion thread

Far Cry 4
    Story synopsis:
    The single-player campaign takes place in Kyrat, a fictional region based on the Himalayan regions of Nepal, which is ruled by the despotic king Pagan Min. The player character is Ajay Ghale, a Kyrati-American who is returning to his homeland to disperse his deceased mother's ashes. No sooner does he arrive in Kyrat is he dragged into a civil war that is raging between Pagan Min and the rebel organization known as the Golden Path.

Reviews:
    Meta Critic User Score - 47 Votes 7.1
    Eurogamer - 8/10
    Gamespot - 7/10

Screenshots:

(last shot "borrowed" from the PCGamer review in progress article)

Figured we could use one of these. If anyone is on the fence I can give a few very short spoiler free thoughts on it. Far Cry 4 is absolutely gorgeous for starters, and the port is ridiculously well made, my measly AMD x4 @ 4Ghz and single GTX 770 2GB can play nearly maxed at 50+ FPS fairly consistently. People with better CPUS's /GPU's should max it no problem at 60 solid. It's not as technically competent as AC Unity, but it's miles ahead of Far Cry 3.

Not that I'd know that since it's not out yet *ahem*

Discuss! :)
    [Edit]FOV slider has been added by a last second update apparently, false alarm.
    Last edited by BadManiac; 18-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.

No FOV slider = no sale.

Actually I still have to finish Far Cry 3 (among others) so I'm waiting to see how well this new one goes on release....if it needs patching, if there are huge bugs etc. Seriously though, if it can't go to at least 90 FOV - preferably 100 - then I may have to give it a miss. Also if the game has Motion Blur, I hope that there's a Disable button so that I wouldn't feel decidedly unwell!

Network Hub
    Looks like an FOV slider is in the latest patch https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/sta...01732827439104

Looking forward to this even if I'm still waiting for the open world shooter with Elder Scrolls like exploration rather than Ubisofts icon collection style.

The game runs like butter, added screenshots from me and Sephking in the OP.
    Last edited by BadManiac; 18-11-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Anywhere it can be bought on the cheap-ish side?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Doesn't seem like it. According to ITAD, the cheapest is Nuuvem at about €40. Not much cheaper than elsewhere.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I badly want Far Cry 4 to be a good game. I do. I need a big, open game to explore this winter. But the Guardian mentioned a lack of innovation in the mission structure, including more forced stealt, with auto failing if you are spotted, in the story missions. Again. Because someone at Ubi still thinks we play these games for the narrative, I reckon.

Still, I want this to be good. I really badly do. It was this or DA: Inquisition, and now I have seen the combat in the latter, it ain't that one.

After playing it a bit more last night it feels like the stealth, which was quite rudimentary in FC3 has been improved. But yeah, you're not going to find innovation by great leaps here. It's Far Cry 4, it does what Far Cry 3 did, just tweaked.

Quote Originally Posted by BadManiac View Post
    After playing it a bit more last night it feels like the stealth, which was quite rudimentary in FC3 has been improved. But yeah, you're not going to find innovation by great leaps here. It's Far Cry 4, it does what Far Cry 3 did, just tweaked.
    Can't really blame them for that one or expect something all that different. Far Cry 3 was wildly popular and got high marks in nearly every review. Ubisoft isn't one to fix all that isn't broken, especially because it's just now that they're seeing success with the majority of their titles. Doubly so because it seems when they do try to release something unique, it tends to crash and burn a bit compared to their formula games. See: Watch_Dogs.

Personally I loved Blood Dragon more than FC3 itself. I hope Ubi can show that uniqueness in design with other projects going forward, and still hold on to the solid gameplay of their formula titles.
    Last edited by Xzi; 18-11-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    ~

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Those screenshots! I didn't give them much of a look last night, but...wow. Just...wow. Quick: Someone mod out the enemies and turn this into a Himalayan survival sim.

In all seriousness, going to check out reviews today. Fingers crossed!

Obscure Node
    Far Cry looks great.

Added a couple of reviews to the OP.

Reviews are out for a couple of days now, it's just that Ubi didn't feel like sending out PC versions. Hence the delayed reviews from PC-centric sites - see here.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    People sell Nvidia coupons for 30-40 dollars on Cheapassgamer, Reddit and probably most big forums.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    People sell Nvidia coupons for 30-40 dollars on Cheapassgamer, Reddit and probably most big forums.
    Picked a nvidia coupon up for 25.99 off ebay, not great but not sure you will do any better elsewhere right now.

Obviously after being able to load uplay and the game this morning it's now down when I'm back from work, guess it's time to see how it fares offline.

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Apparently it is possible to finish the game in 15 minutes and ignore the rebel army nonsense in the process. Brilliant.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Acquired an isodemo to poke around. Very similar to Far Cry 3, but a bit more polished. Still an inane story that you can't ignore and horrible checkpoint saves, and everything but the shooting made me wish I was playing with a controller.

Not my cuppa. Might take another whack when the price drops and some mods pop up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Apparently it is possible to finish the game in 15 minutes and ignore the rebel army nonsense in the process. Brilliant.
    Yeah, I saw GameTrailers' video on YouTube about it. The best part was reading the comment section, with all the "OMFG, you can beat the game in 15 minutes!? Pre-order cancelled!!!1!"

I think it's a really nice touch from the developers. Kind of a normal person mode.

I'm seeing reports this is another broken piece of shit like every other damn PC game. After the bullshit that was Watch_Dogs (I had the game for one day, played the opening mission and sent it back to Amazon for a refund) I'm not sure I'm ever going to bother with Ubisoft again. And let's not forget AC: Unity. Something else I don't need to waste money on.