Page 419 of 658 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419420421429469519 ... LastLast
Results 8,361 to 8,380 of 13156
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Are you just using the world map, or that Play the World mod? Play the World is great, but it gets crazy when it takes forever in between turns. There's still lots of room (although you can play with some smaller maps it seems ideal for the large one) but there are lots of civs eventually. Of course if you start as an early civ you can expand all over before other civs show up. It strangely adds fun but removes fun by not having the randomly generated map that you have to explore before you know exactly what sort of land mass you're on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Are you just using the world map, or that Play the World mod? Play the World is great, but it gets crazy when it takes forever in between turns. There's still lots of room (although you can play with some smaller maps it seems ideal for the large one) but there are lots of civs eventually. Of course if you start as an early civ you can expand all over before other civs show up. It strangely adds fun but removes fun by not having the randomly generated map that you have to explore before you know exactly what sort of land mass you're on.
    Just the world map. Kept restarting until China started in China. I don't like the world map, and would prefer random continents with lots of rivers, plains and isthmuses.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Seph can post whatever the fuck he wants for all I care. He is pretty much the only reason I keep coming in here. You should be fucking grateful his digital mana continues to fall on this thread, no matter the size.
    Haha, that's good of you say squire, appreciate it. :)

If you really like good screens though you should check out guru3d's screenshot thread. The guys on there post way better stuff than me.

Mortal Kombat
    What started off as a brutal fight to the death, ended in an intense dance off

It was my powerful dance rendition of the macarena that won the day

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Must not make golden shower joke...
    Your restraint is much obliged :)
    Last edited by SephKing; 08-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    @Tritagonist: Yeah, I tried that one but no dice unfortunately. Hopefully someone will figure it out eventually. I'll definitely have to check MK out at some point. Might wait for it to be on sale though.
    That didn't take long ;)

I'm quite afraid to post on the guru3D forums, as that forums doesn't have the automagical downsampling that makes all my screenshots look 10x better than they actually do. :)

Thanks for the key AC3 BTW, It's downloading atm and shall have to try it after I finish The Darkness II!

Talking about The Darkness II...

Last edited by asskicker; 08-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.

And probably my favourite screen so far!

Activated Node
    Dont listen to the nay sayers SephKing - your screenies are a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I wish I could play games like Civ. That screen just looks intimidating as all hell, though. That is one big ass map.
    Civ V is as accessible as they come. I'm terrible at 4X games but I have no problem with Civ V. The lack of unit stacking is a bit weird (it seems odd for a land battle to take place over a hundred or so miles) but actually plays OK.

Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    Civ V is as accessible as they come. I'm terrible at 4X games but I have no problem with Civ V. The lack of unit stacking is a bit weird (it seems odd for a land battle to take place over a hundred or so miles) but actually plays OK.
    The Eastern Front of WW2 was an unbroken battle line of some 1400 miles. In fact, logistics dictated that the army groups couldn't bunch up because of traffic jams, lack of coverage, the loss of tactical ability and the threat of bombardment.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Just started Mass Effect with Bitch Shepard, the renegade FemShep. Jenniffer Hale rocks!
    Steam was having a bit of a wobble, so here's some scenic shots.

Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

The Eastern Front of WW2 was an unbroken battle line of some 1400 miles. In fact, logistics dictated that the army groups couldn't bunch up because of traffic jams, lack of coverage, the loss of tactical ability and the threat of bombardment.
    One unit of archers or rock-throwers(!) taking up a whole tile and firing arrows right over a city? A machine gun unit making up a massive stretch of line on its own?
    It works and it's fun, but realistic it ain't.

Space Engine

Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    One unit of archers or rock-throwers(!) taking up a whole tile and firing arrows right over a city? A machine gun unit making up a massive stretch of line on its own?
    It works and it's fun, but realistic it ain't.
    To deal with the shifting of scale, you have two choices:

1) Abstract your concept of 'archers' to mean that any individual skirmish as played out in the game is actually a series of back and forths over a region or an extended siege and/or scorched earth campaign
    2) Design a 4X game where the scale of the region shifts every time an era goes by, so that miles turn to tens of miles turns to hundreds of miles turns to thousands and the globe itself: The map gets smaller and smaller, so to speak.

I kinda like the idea of the latter: Large sprawling empires would require an immense effort to keep up in classical eras, but then become routine in the renaissance and dwarfed in the modern era. After all, you start the game where you cultivate "cities" of 40,000 that must be spaced out every four tiles, but by the end of the game there shouldn't be a tile in the world that isn't holding at least that much population, and with several-million-large metropolises on adjacent tiles - a la the Pearl River Delta, the Yangtze River Delta, BosWash, etc.
    Last edited by Nalano; 08-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

To deal with the shifting of scale, you have two choices:
    2) Design a 4X game where the scale of the region shifts every time an era goes by, so that miles turn to tens of miles turns to hundreds of miles turns to thousands and the globe itself: The map gets smaller and smaller, so to speak.

I kinda like the idea of the latter: Large sprawling empires would require an immense effort to keep up in classical eras, but then become routine in the renaissance and dwarfed in the modern era. After all, you start the game where you cultivate "cities" of 40,000 that must be spaced out every four tiles, but by the end of the game there shouldn't be a tile in the world that isn't holding at least that much population, and with several-million-large metropolises on adjacent tiles - a la the Pearl River Delta, the Yangtze River Delta, BosWash, etc.
    Ever heard of Aurora? It's ... a great accomplishment in many ways and I think it's the only game in which you can kill a planet's population by exchanging the atmosphere with something they can't breathe. But it involves a lot of maths and is a logistical nightmare in some cases. Because it tracks the individual missiles you load into your ships and their speed and range and the movement of their target and the sensor ranges and the point defense turret's tracking speed and the list goes on.

I like the simplified version of Civ V and your first point better, really. I occasionally lose entire weeks to DF and Aurora, but not every game needs to simulate everything.

Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's not a spoiler without context. But just in case:
    Last edited by Caddybear; 08-07-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Ever heard of Aurora? It's ... a great accomplishment in many ways and I think it's the only game in which you can kill a planet's population by exchanging the atmosphere with something they can't breathe. But it involves a lot of maths and is a logistical nightmare in some cases. Because it tracks the individual missiles you load into your ships and their speed and range and the movement of their target and the sensor ranges and the point defense turret's tracking speed and the list goes on.
    The idea is, as you advance in eras, you have a more holistic approach to your nation-state's affairs. Marshal Zhukov doesn't have to dole out ammunition to each individual soldier, after all.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by asskicker View Post
    That didn't take long ;)

I'm quite afraid to post on the guru3D forums, as that forums doesn't have the automagical downsampling that makes all my screenshots look 10x better than they actually do. :)

Thanks for the key AC3 BTW, It's downloading atm and shall have to try it after I finish The Darkness II!
    You're welcome squire. Hope you like it. Great D2 shots by the way. Yet another game I need to finish at some point.

@frosty2oo2: :-) thanks man

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Paranautical Activity:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anna: Extended

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    BLOPS 2

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hard Reset