Page 625 of 687 FirstFirst ... 125525575615623624625626627635675 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,500 of 13733
    Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Wait, what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Trolls, they come in great numbers in the fora now. See Anthile's message at the top of the main fora.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    At least it has a nice colour palette. How is the gameplay?
    At first glance it is a standard third-person corridor cover shooter. If you approach it as such it not only won't be fun, it will probably be impossible to advance past a certain point. Using the tactical options available to you and your squaddies is the meat of the game.

Over time new squaddies are available and they level up to gain skills that you chose, quite similar to XCOM: Enemy Unknown. You can usually choose from a few missions, or just ignore the side missions (they're basically for experience or new items) and continue the main plot missions.

Between missions you run around your base doing the conversation thing to advance the plot, which is pretty much what you'd expect: aliens have come and only you can stop them. After a while I pretty much stopped paying attention to the plot and just got on with enjoying the tactical combat.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Nvidia Inspector works wonders! It can be taxing on your system dependent upon your hardware, but I think it's easily a game changer.

Eidolon http://www.icewatergames.com/about

Having read a few things about it, it piqued my curiosity somewhat, so I thought I'd give it a go. Only played a couple of hours but it's better than I was expecting and I rather like it.

Some have rather disparagingly called it a walking simulator but that actually appeals to me. If you want a peaceful relaxing exploration game where you're not trying to survive a zombie apocalypse or shoot everything in sight, then look no further.

An absolutely massive area to explore, so big in fact that I haven't been able to quite grasp the scale of it yet. Essentially you just walk around taking in the ambiance and occasionally follow a trail of clues should you wish to. Which will give you tidbits of story, extra items to use or bits of map. Some of the wild life can kill you but it's easy enough to avoid. See a big bear or wild cat, then just give them a big berth as you make your way past them. There is a survival element, but as yet so far in my game it has been of no concern. Food and firewood have been plentiful and I've had no problems with exposure to the cold so far. I think there might be seasonal weather but I'm not sure. So it might yet snow at some point.

As normal screenshots just don't do it proper justice. Some of the vistas can look quite stunning sometimes.

My starting point.

Found a piece of map. I eventually figure I'm about where the tip of my pointer is.

The day is coming to an end and the light is fading. Oh yeah and it's raining. If I had a gripe actually, it's that so far it seems to rain about 70% of the time and the mornings are always very foggy. Just once it'd be nice to wake up to a lovely clear crisp morning.
    Last edited by Chaz; 24-08-2014 at 09:27 PM.

I finally break out of the woods. Oh don't worry, there's plenty more woods. Lots and lots of woods.

Ah a little lake down there, lets take a peak at the map.

I thought I was at the lake where the tip of my pointer is. In actual fact I was near the little smidgen of one just bellow to the left. Even with a map and compass, it's not easy to figure out quite where you are exactly. There's no way point markers or anything like that to guide you. Well that's not quite true. See the little button that says map? Well if you click that it sends out a little glowing star in the direction of where another map might be. It's the same with the story bits too, they'll fire off little stars in the direction of related story items.

Another day coming to an end. Oh look and it's raining.

Ah it's turned out nice for a spot of game hunting. One shot will take down the deer. Hitting one is something else entirely. I bagged this one though. Gave 2 meat to roast on my camp fire.

The views can be quite breath taking at times. The sense of scale and vast open space is really well captured.

Back in the woods at the end of another day.

Finally broke out of the woods and made it to the road I saw at the top of my map.

An old and overgrown highway, littered with the wrecks of rotting cars. Decide to head off to the east looking for that town on the left hand side of my map.

The sun sets on the lost highway.

I found some binoculars.

Cool! These will help some.

Pitching up here for the night. Will head across the woods looking for this town in the morning.

My travels so far. Not quite sure where my end position is. I might be off the map somewhere as the woods I'm in aren't on it, but then it is a crude hand drawn map so...?

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified does look really nice. I picked it up for about 2.29 back in the sales, judging by those screens it look like I got a real bargain.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I need to play Eidolon.

Obscure Node
    If anyone else is thinking of getting The Bureau, it's very cheap on Steam for the next few hours. Just got it with all DLC for €6.09.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrowe View Post
    If anyone else is thinking of getting The Bureau, it's very cheap on Steam for the next few hours. Just got it with all DLC for €6.09.
    its a very linear game with an ok story. if you like that, go gogogogogogo
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I need to play Eidolon.
    Yes. Yes you do. So there's finally someone other than me raving about it on here. Awesome game, for all its very obvious flaws.

Chaz, you always start in the same place, by the way - the location isn't randomised or anything. Also someone brought up the weather on the Steam forums, and one of the guys in Icewater replied with "Tell me about it. I live here". ;) (It could definitely stand to be tweaked, particularly as it serves no purpose other than atmosphere, but apparently it really does rain a lot in present-day Washington state?)

EDIT: Oh, also, unless you're determined not to do anything 'sploity, get used to fishing. I cannot stress this enough. Seriously, when you find any body of water, park your ass and load up - fifty, sixty ought to do, if not more. Fish don't run out and cooked, they're the only food source that doesn't spoil (for some reason) in your pack.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 25-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

I haven't found the rod yet. I think the items come sequentially as you find the markers rather than being located in specific places, right? So far I haven't had any of my cooked meat spoil. Berries and mushrooms barely seem to last more than 2-3 days before spoiling, but there's so much if it around that it hardly seems to matter. Looking at the forums I have a feeling that the abundance of resources has been tweaked since release to its present state, as I've seen earlier posts complaining that it was too hard to find stuff. Certainly not the case now.

Yeah I read that post re the weather on the Steam forum, but still a bit more sunshine and clear skies wouldn't hurt. Also even if it's a clear night, every time I sleep I wake up to a heavily fogged morning. A bit of artistic license regarding the weather wouldn't hurt even if it is like that for real in Washington.

I kind of figured every body started there in the same spot, but it's nice to show folks who haven't played what the game's like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Oh, of course. Just clearing that up, is all. I recognised the view. :)

I haven't successfully hunted a thing - I guess the game just treats meat and fish the same. Still, I know it seems like there's a ton of blackberry bushes etc. everywhere but I hit a stretch where there was nothing, literally nothing, for days on end. That's one of the few times in twelve hours' play I nearly died, and even after I'd loaded up on fish it wasn't the only time the plants ran out, so... just saying.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Thanks for the response Fumarole, I might pick it up in a Bundle or Steam sale then. I guess wearing suspenders and drinking black coffee is a requirement for fully enjoying the game? :)

Network Hub
    This thing is beauty to fly and operate.

A few more Eidolon