Page 113 of 613 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 12258
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    What game is that?
    Pirates of the Caribbean (I really have to stop doing that). No relation to the movie. It's exactly like Sid Meier's Pirates except with a dash of Morrowind, a four character party system reminiscent of Bioware games, and the ability to command a fleet. It's like the developers said "you know what we should do? EVERYTHING."

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The game adds little "demand caps" which basically means that when it hits the cap, demand flatlines until you provide certain services to raise the cap. Industry requires a new road off-map for X amount of sim-goods, residents require a new park for X amount of people moving in, and commerce needs airports and the like to keep going. All three also benefit from bonus buildings you get as rewards for various population milestones. Overall, it's very gamey at times, but it should be rather straightforward.
    When you say a road off-map, do you mean a road from a city out to the region? Or a road from a city on the border of the region going "out" of the region?
    I've never really managed to get my economy really going in SimCity 4. People start demanding a lot of shit that I never have the money for, so I always get fiscal reports in the negative. Are you suggesting that it's good to ignore the people screaming for healthcare or police until you get enough money?

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    [pics]
    What's with the nude people? Could you even go nude in Morrowind? Or have you added some weird nude mod?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I tried playing Morrowind again over the weekend. I bought the GotY edition years ago, but never even took a big bite out of the main game, or even touched either of the expansions. I have that huge graphics overhaul installed, so it all looked rather nice. But oh, the combat. I turned it off after my third "fight." And people think the combat in Skyrim is bad. Try standing directly in front of a stationary enemy and stabbing at them with a 70% chance to miss. Maybe I need to just set the difficult to the extreme easiest setting so that I can just play it to enjoy the environments and quests.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I tried playing Morrowind again over the weekend. I bought the GotY edition years ago, but never even took a big bite out of the main game, or even touched either of the expansions. I have that huge graphics overhaul installed, so it all looked rather nice. But oh, the combat. I turned it off after my third "fight." And people think the combat in Skyrim is bad. Try standing directly in front of a stationary enemy and stabbing at them with a 70% chance to miss. Maybe I need to just set the difficult to the extreme easiest setting so that I can just play it to enjoy the environments and quests.
    It basically is *roll dice to hit* system in 3D graphics. Once you level up a little it gets better. Still, I think it is pretty awesome system and Morrowind is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Those few moments when Star Trek: Online actually looks and feels like Star Trek...

Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

Then you realise that your next mission is to kill 10 Klingons, then 10 Gorn, then 10 more Klingons (this time inside a asteroid base) and all pretences of this actually being a decent impression of anything that Star Trek has ever been about evaporate...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Civ V
    This is from an older save file I had where I left my conquering style by the wayside for too long and spent a few centuries pushing the Mongols back. I got fed up towards the end, so I just gave up and started anew.

And from my new save:
    Shinies? Me gusta.

I'm progressive - Yay!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    When you say a road off-map, do you mean a road from a city out to the region? Or a road from a city on the border of the region going "out" of the region?
    I've never really managed to get my economy really going in SimCity 4. People start demanding a lot of shit that I never have the money for, so I always get fiscal reports in the negative. Are you suggesting that it's good to ignore the people screaming for healthcare or police until you get enough money?
    I mean just run a road to the edge of the map. It'll ask you if you want to make a connection to "SimNation." Say yes.

And exactly: Ignore their demands for police and fire and health care and education until you can afford to build stations and hospitals and schools. This may seem cruel, but you're really only delaying the implementation by about six months game-time and it makes a whole lot of difference to your sustainability.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Bit of a dump, wouldn't like to live in your city. Guess you wouldn't notice being a New Yorker though.
    The default 'tileset,' if you will, is that of a southern Californian city - most buildings set far back from the street, palm trees everywhere, over-emphasis on driving - as EA Maxis' influence is their home state of California.

The mod community have attacked this problem by making a veritable mountain of custom buildings to aesthetically transform the overall look of the city. I have a gig of mods - mostly of New York-style tenements and apartment buildings - in my installation, and the pictures you see have barely a single original building in them.

I like it that way. :p
    Last edited by Nalano; 05-06-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I think there's a big appeal in making a city look like the kind of city you're familiar with. Sim City feels a little sterile to me with its US grid-cities.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My favorite memories of Sim City is having a big city survive to a disaster. These "scars" do really give personality to a city. Then I remember toying with disasters... because Sim City is a simulator and.. well simulators are fun to make experiments. Not having the ability to make experiments will make the sandbox less... playful. Anyway I don't think this kill the game, just turn it in some type of pseudo-coop city building game. To be honest, I am interested in this game, and this the first Sim City to enter my radar since Sim City 2000. I kind of like the aestetics style.

Activated Node
    Not sure if anyone has posted anything about this before, but I discovered Space Engine recently! Basically a combined mind-blowing and eye-candy-creating bit of software. Here are a few shots I snapped :)

scr00006.jpgscr00005.jpgscr00003.jpgscr00002.jpg

Nicer hi res pictures here:
    http://imgur.com/a/FBJqK#0
    Last edited by unitled; 05-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean (I really have to stop doing that). No relation to the movie. It's exactly like Sid Meier's Pirates except with a dash of Morrowind, a four character party system reminiscent of Bioware games, and the ability to command a fleet. It's like the developers said "you know what we should do? EVERYTHING."
    It was very nice and challenging until I discovered an infinite money exploit and got a full man o' war fleet...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    It was very nice and challenging until I discovered an infinite money exploit and got a full man o' war fleet...
    I always remember having God mode turned on and coming across some undead pirates. I fought them for about ten minutes before I finally understood that no one was going to win that fight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Though I'm not enjoying it as much as the original, Supreme Commander 2 does still have that ability to make you feel like you are absolutely terrible at the game, but without leaving you clueless as to why. This was the result of an over-ambitious defence layout, which proceeded to bog down my research and advancement through the tech levels, resulting in a rather swift defeat once the AIs Experimental units started pouring across the water.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by unitled View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted anything about this before, but I discovered Space Engine recently! Basically a combined mind-blowing and eye-candy-creating bit of software. Here are a few shots I snapped :)

scr00006.jpg
    I have a few shots of Saturn and that one there looks amazingly close to the real thing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    What's with the nude people? Could you even go nude in Morrowind? Or have you added some weird nude mod?
    a) I thought it was funny. b) No. c) I wouldn't call it weird - better bodies is one of the most popular mods for MW. Its main features is more detailed meshes for bodies, the nudity is just an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Though I'm not enjoying it as much as the original, Supreme Commander 2 does still have that ability to make you feel like you are absolutely terrible at the game, but without leaving you clueless as to why. This was the result of an over-ambitious defence layout, which proceeded to bog down my research and advancement through the tech levels, resulting in a rather swift defeat once the AIs Experimental units started pouring across the water.
    I know the temptation with Cybran to go for the defensive electromagnetic meatgrinder thingys. They're cool as hell, but generally not worth the effort. Also - beware the UEF land swarm, particularly if they've upgraded to give EVERYTHING anti-air.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Having conquered Denmark, Hannover and Berlin the Swedish Empire had already taken a sizeable chunk of Europe in 1707, when Great Britain declared war out of the blue. They landed troops in Finland and Norway which were barely repelled by a hastily scrambled reaction force while the giant British fleet terrrorized the North and Baltic Sea, slashing the Swede's income by more than half.

Only a few years later the Swedish fleet had built enough in strength to meet the British fleet at open sea. While they outnumbered the latter by a few ships, they fielded mostly sixth rates and brigs of war, with a few select fourth lines. While the British deployed almost exclusively fifth rates.

The british deployed in one big column while the Swede's used three, hoping to break through the british column while offering them as little broadside as possible.

That day a phyrric victory was rung. Of 18 ships fielded, only 5 remained and both fourth rates were sunk.

Btw. is there a way to turn off the HUD in E:TW for better screenshots?

Activated Node
    @Chaz

Seriously, go check out Space Engine. It's basically a universe simulator (seriously, I am NOT exaggerating there!).

http://en.spaceengine.org/

I've taken some brilliant shots of Earth rising over the moon as well that look gorgeous!
    Last edited by unitled; 05-06-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    I know the temptation with Cybran to go for the defensive electromagnetic meatgrinder thingys. They're cool as hell, but generally not worth the effort. Also - beware the UEF land swarm, particularly if they've upgraded to give EVERYTHING anti-air.
    As to that last part: I encountered that. It took a while to figure out what was going on there. Not cool!

Played a bit of the F2P Blacklight: Retribution. I think it's pretty good fun, though I haven't really played a whole lot of other current FPS games so I don't know how it compares.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18