Page 147 of 685 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247647 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 13689
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It's good! The combat could be better, I found it not very challenging yet still engaging because it plays so smoothly. It gets criticized for you not being able to die but really, it's just removing the loading screen you get if you could.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you dig platformers (espcially low-key platformers), Prince of Persia is fantastic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I found it just as good as Sands of Time for the platforming. It has sharp timing and some interesting platform segments. It gets a lot of flack for not being as original or complicated or interesting as previous PoP games in the platforming department ... I'd argue it just compresses the platforming into two dimensions. The platforming occurs like a mural on a sheet of paper that ribbons about in three dimensions rather than 3D platforming. I think that's what give people who really prefer 3D platforming the sense that it's more on-rails.

I also saw the impossibility of dying the same way I saw it in VVVVVV--a way around the archaic lives system and the frequent hassles of pleasingly placed checkpoints. Then the game becomes about the joy of successful rhythms rather than the joy of completion.

These differences aren't for everyone, but I think it does what it wants to do incredibly well. It was rebranded Prince of Persia without subtitles for a reason--it's different, but very much cognizant of it's legacy. This isn't a new entry in a series, but a new flavor for a franchise. I liked it. Not enough to buy it for myself (played on a friend's PC), but I'd recommend it. Something really interesting happens with the end, and some of the shinnies take a bit of innovation to get at (too few, I feel, but it's something). Be warned: the PC version pops up the Xbox button colors during the quick-time events. While there is an iconography as well, this made it very hard for me to respond fast enough on many of the prompts. It took just a little to long to go "Symbol-->Maneuver-->Button" or "Color-->Maneuver-->Button." I never got rid of the gut instinct to press the appropriate xbox controller button, which was impossible on a keyboard and mouse. I forget if the letters were also present (X,Y,A,B, not the keyboard letters) which would have made it more confusing. Could just be me, but it was a significant frustration of mine.

Recommend it nonetheless. Giaddon put it well: if you like plat-formers rather than just PoP specifically? Go for it. The less technically demanding the other plat-formers you enjoy the more I'd recommend it as it's very much on the lighter end of platforming. This is no Super Meat Boy.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

As gwathdring has just said the platforming really comes across more like a rhythm game, with your visual cues taken from the scenery. I find it very satisfiying once you get into the flow of it. Once you master the basics it never really gets much harder, although later on you will need to time your manouvers past enemies and traps. Doing the speed runs for the achiements was quite fun too. Collecting all the light seeds requires a bit more thought on how to reach some of them. As for the not being able to die, it just removes the need to keep loading up saves, which is all you'd end up doing otherwise, so you are constantly in the game without interuption.

The combat can be a bit teeth grindingly frustrating at times though. Starts off simple enough but later fights can turn into prolonged wars of attrition, because the mechanic of you not dying means that at the point where you would die the mob regens health instead.

Oh yes there are also puzzles too. Nothing that will blow your mind but there's a few little brain teasers in there.

Over all I found it to be a very fun game, nice light weight entertainment that won't tax you too much. This is my second play through as the first time was on the 360. Oh yeah and the art style is gorgeous through out, for a 4 year old game it still looks great, and as with a lot of these things it looks better in motion than it does in the stills.

By the way I think my PC copy cost me something ridiculous like 99p on Amazon, if I remember rightly the P&P cost more than the game at £1.50 or something like that.

Last but not least, I'd seriously recommend playing it with a 360 pad or similar too.
    Last edited by Chaz; 11-07-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Some ME3 screens. . .

Wow thanks all, that was some detailed feedback. Sounds good, I'm not much of a platformer fan (especially not difficult ones) so the easy difficulty sounds nice to me. Kind of regret not picking it up when I first saw it now.

Shogun 2. My quest to lead to Mori clan to glory.

Shogun2_2012_07_11_01_20_22_657.jpgShogun2_2012_07_11_03_05_37_361.jpgShogun2_2012_07_11_03_06_11_749.jpgShogun2_2012_07_11_03_14_59_834.jpg

Has anyone found the best way to add screenies? It seems uploading them from your HD means thumbnails :(
    Last edited by duff; 11-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Banned
    I liked the new PoP for several reasons - it was overall nice, the chick wasn't an oversexualized bimbo, I liked the 1-on-1 fights which were a throwback to the original but in three dimensions, the world was pretty open and I even liked the random banter.

But the powers you get killed the game for me; they're completely identical in function and only vary slightly in form, so it quickly became repetetive and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Has anyone found the best way to add screenies? It seems uploading them from your HD means thumbnails :(
    If you double-click the thumbnail, you can choose what size to display it.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I use http://imageshack.us/. It's free and you can upload 100 images at a time should you need to, each image with a maximum size of 5Mb and upto a maximum of 500 images in total. If you want more then you have to pay for a premium account. The free limits should be more than enough for most people though; unless your name is SephKing of course.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have several issues with PoP and it isn't even a good rhythm game, a genre of which i'm a big fan of. But I did three long posts on why PoP is shit in the despise games thread which i'll link underneath but PoP epitomises the handholding, lazy, dumbing down of game mechanics that's happened over the last few years in certain areas/genres. The fact that the entire mechanical base of the game is essentially a QTE is mortifying. I simply do no understand why people see it as a platformer in any sense of the word. I understand that its a style of "game" where people are looking for an experience and not skill per se but I don't see how this makes it a game then. Its clearly not for me but I struggle to understand how its appreciated as a game when its clearly none of those things in my head.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...055#post155055

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...511#post155511

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronEC View Post
    Some ME3 screens.
    I never noticed the stars on the ceiling there, that looks great. Nice shots.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I have several issues with PoP and it isn't even a good rhythm game, a genre of which i'm a big fan of. But I did three long posts on why PoP is shit in the despise games thread which i'll link underneath but PoP epitomises the handholding, lazy, dumbing down of game mechanics that's happened over the last few years in certain areas/genres. The fact that the entire mechanical base of the game is essentially a QTE is mortifying. I simply do no understand why people see it as a platformer in any sense of the word. I understand that its a style of "game" where people are looking for an experience and not skill per se but I don't see how this makes it a game then. Its clearly not for me but I struggle to understand how its appreciated as a game when its clearly none of those things in my head.
    I don't really think it's a rhythm game ... it's rhythmic in the sense all platformers are, and I feel like it's more akin to a 2D than a 3D platformer because it doesn't ask you to excel at 3D tasks like jumping at just the right angle away from a wall or similar.

Fundamentally, Sands of Time had very similar platforming mechanics. It never asked the player to excel at 3D tasks. It had all kinds of other mechanical differences of course (combat, time bending, etc), and it made the platforming more slow paced and scene-like which gave it the impression of being less about rhythm or timing. I'd argue that made the platforming more simplistic not less, because any depth to it was figuring out where to go and how to get there rather than doing it. It's fine to see that as a deeper more interesting way to platform, but I would strongly disagree that it is a more technically intense way to platform. I don't see PoP as a more skill-based game outside of combat (which a lot of people who like the game dislike anyway).

On topic: I was playing Arkham City again, and I accidentally left FRAPS in rapid-shutter mode after I'd been playing around with in in a different game. I ended up with almost 100 unintentional screenshots when I thought I'd taken 10 or so. Fortunately I took most of them in pairs just by chance, so while I missed all the shots I wanted I didn't end up with 10-20 minutes of screenshots. I got some odd expressions out of the cast.

ooh, shiny.jpg Ooh, shiny!

I got some decent shots out of it, too, as well as a lot of nothing. There's also this embarrassing true story the soundtrack to which goes something like "GAH! Fucking pop-ups!"
    oops.jpgoops1.jpgoops2.jpgoops3.jpg
    Last edited by gwathdring; 11-07-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I don't really think it's a rhythm game ... it's rhythmic in the sense all platformers are, and I feel like it's more akin to a 2D than a 3D platformer because it doesn't ask you to excel at 3D tasks like jumping at just the right angle away from a wall or similar.

Fundamentally, Sands of Time had very similar platforming mechanics. It never asked the player to excel at 3D tasks. It had all kinds of other mechanical differences of course (combat, time bending, etc), and it made the platforming more slow paced and scene-like which gave it the impression of being less about rhythm or timing. I'd argue that made the platforming more simplistic not less, because any depth to it was figuring out where to go and how to get there rather than doing it. It's fine to see that as a deeper more interesting way to platform, but I would strongly disagree that it is a more technically intense way to platform. I don't see PoP as a more skill-based game outside of combat (which a lot of people who like the game dislike anyway).
    Heh, I like the Arkham City shots. You should keep FRAPS on rapid fire actually. I find screenshots that capture moments you didn't intend to sometimes far more interesting. Namely those kinds of facial expressions. :)

Back to the PoP thing. See, there is where we differ. The SoT trilogy did have fundamentally similar platforming mechanics, you find a rhythm and move from A to B once you figured out where the destination was. So they were similarly linear in that regard.

The main difference is that in the SoT trilogy you had full control over the forward momentum, when to jump, when to wall run, when to stop and interact with the environment etc. There is also a genuine sense of veriticality in the SoT trilogy (Especially in Warrior Within) which is completely missing from PoP'08. The momentum in the latter is entirely automated. Find a sequence of ledges in PoP (Like that central hub area where you have to unlock the gate) and jump on the first ledge and just hold forward. Watch the Prince move to every subsequent ledge all of his own. You don't even have to interact with the game at all to create any sense of movement or momentum.

There is nothing approaching the level design of the Library in SoT or the Hanging Gardens in Warrior Within. Every sequence in PoP is presented to you on a plate and all you literally do is press forward often. That element of mental interaction with the environment before you take the first step is completely missing from PoP. Irrelevant of the actual direction the Prince moves in, the momentum is completely constant with zero regards to pacing, traversing an environment or rewarding the player for reaching a particular destination with satisfaction. In that regard, PoP is totally empty. It feels more akin to being pulled by something at a constant rate instead of you controlling the Prince. Its just bizarre and weird.

There's a very fine line between linear and automatic. I think PoP simply went too far and just broke everything that was good about the SoT trilogy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar

Holy crap it happened again. Having the Plains Nations offer me money in exchange for peace was one thing but having Genoa actually offer to become a protectorate, that is something I've never seen in a TW game. Too little too late though, assholes!

I'll also throw my hat into the "Those who like PoP2008" camp. I enjoyed Sands of Time; liked some parts of Warrior Within, but didn't like the majority; never played Two Thrones due to it having a mechanic I hate; but PoP2008 was probably my favourite.
    Why? Because I have never been a huge puzzle/platform fan and the fact the PoP2008 very rarely stumps you as to what to do next made the whole experience more enjoyable. There were so many times in SoT where I knew where I had to get to (the game shows you half the time) but couldn't figure out the 1 way the developer wanted me to get there, resulting in jumping at every part of the environment to see if it was the one I could climb. And bouncing light puzzles have never been fun, so several rooms of them back-to-back won't be fun.

Casimir - I've seen that type of diplomacy quite alot in Shogun 2. Hopefully it's not going to regress for Rome 2. Battle AI is also pretty competent. Shogun 2 is the first TW game I've lost battles to a slightly stronger army, I'm also certain it hid cavalry in some woods and came round and routed my archers. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Ack. It didn't tell me you could only have five until after the post successfully published with all six. Here's the other face:

Holy shit! Bruce Wayne is Batman!
    Far out, man.jpg

Also these two I'm rather fond of ... I wish I could say I took them on purpose:
    BatmanAC 2012-07-03 22-36-45-46.jpgBatmanAC 2012-07-03 22-37-39-65.jpg

LA Noire

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I'll also throw my hat into the "Those who like PoP2008" camp. I enjoyed Sands of Time; liked some parts of Warrior Within, but didn't like the majority; never played Two Thrones due to it having a mechanic I hate; but PoP2008 was probably my favourite.
    Why? Because I have never been a huge puzzle/platform fan and the fact the PoP2008 very rarely stumps you as to what to do next made the whole experience more enjoyable. There were so many times in SoT where I knew where I had to get to (the game shows you half the time) but couldn't figure out the 1 way the developer wanted me to get there, resulting in jumping at every part of the environment to see if it was the one I could climb. And bouncing light puzzles have never been fun, so several rooms of them back-to-back won't be fun.
    :(

Bloody 4char.