Page 195 of 686 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 13720
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    And weapon size has nothing to with the FOV
    So you deny that the closer objects are the bigger they seem?

they occupy too much space since the game was designed for consoles.
    ...okay you are going to have to elaborate on this one.

A lot was promised early on with Stalker, there was going to be 4 player co-op where you could team up or just go and do your own thing. The other Stalkers were to be proper independant AI's, going off to do their own jobs and looting etc and going about their own way in the world. Instead their presence in the world is largely scripted. And yes initially it was going to be open not seperate zones with small access points. Well at least that was what was promised. Boiling Point Road To Hell managed to pull it off quite well with a vast open terrain (25x25km (625 km2)) with buildings and no loading screens or pauses and level transitions, and that had rather nice graphics. Sure not on par with Stalker but then it did come out in 2005. So it wasn't really such a stretch to be able to expect similar technology but with improved graphics in 2007.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So you deny that the closer objects are the bigger they seem?

...okay you are going to have to elaborate on this one.
    Go play the game, up the FOV and you will see it makes no significant difference at all. In case you do not believe me, here are some screenshots. This isn't even a particluarly bad example, the pistols are worse, then some unique weapons like the swarmer take up even more.

Default FOV:

FOV set at 80 cap:

The oversized guns are designed to help save on render time, you grab the depth buffer of the weapon and just cull everything which is hidden by it, saving a lot of time on your fillrate. On consoles where you have to very limited power you are having to make any optimisations you can, so culling large areas of the screen with oversized weapons is common practice.

Also compare the Crysis with Crysis 2, there is a substantial difference in the way weapons are sized and positioned.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 09-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    A lot was promised early on with Stalker, there was going to be 4 player co-op where you could team up or just go and do your own thing.
    Never heard about plans for 4 player co-op. And I bought every magazine with an interview or a preview since the first time GSC announced Oblivion Lost. Back when it still had other worlds, Azteck ruins, miniguns and grasshopper robots.

Ok, maybe some screenshots.

Elite kung-fu guy, stole my weapon too.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Never heard about plans for 4 player co-op. And I bought every magazine with an interview or a preview since the first time GSC announced Oblivion Lost. Back when it still had other worlds, Azteck ruins, miniguns and grasshopper robots.
    I read it on a games site way back when. And yes the game did change a lot from the post Codename Outbreak days. But they mentioned the co-op among other things when they first started showing the pictures of the game proper when it became SoC. It was also supposed to be a much more survivalist type game, the food was supposed to play a bigger part in it, you were even supposed to be able to shoot the birds and cook them. Blow outs were supposed to come and go like weather storms, necessitating the need to find shelter etc. Something else that ended up as scripted events. I think it was originally planned to be a much more open world experience, but it really ended up being a rather linear one in the end. I'm not decrying the game for that. They were a small outfit with big ambitions, and it seemed pretty obvious that many of the features would end up being cut, but at least they tried. It would be nice if some of the AAA devs/pusb would try and stretch their limits occasionally, instead of just playing it safe all the time.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Chaz: Yeap it might not be what they promised but I still find it one of the most fascinating games I ve played.

More MISERY:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dark Souls

Needless to say ...I died

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    And neither are there nanosuits and an alien invasion. Think of it as an alternate futureverse with a huge dollop of artistic license; guess they just wanted their Escape From the Planet of the Apes moment. You can bet Crysis 3 will be even more skewed in that respect.

Looking forward to see how they do the whole dome over Manhattan thing. I had an idea for a game some years back that was like Escape From New York but with a big rusty looking Truman Show style dome over Manhattan sealling it off to the outside world. As a newly interned prisoner you'd be trying to find an escape route, whilst doing deals and missions, fighting for and against various factions within the dome. The escape route would be via a perilous climb up the Empire State building's antennae to an old fallen gantry in the ceiling of the dome. The idea was inspired by this old classic photo of two guys repairing the Empire State antennae http://all-that-is-interesting.com/f...state-building. I had it as a desktop background for ages some years back. Almost gives me a sense of vertigo looking at it sometimes.
    Alas, it'll be difficult to make an Escape From New York-style theme nowadays considering that New York now isn't the New York of the 80s.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

On my travels I found a cave inhabitated by a laid back polar bear.

He didn't attack me, so I sat down, too.

Goddamn global warming. :/

Also: Huge ass buzzsaw.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Haha polar back for the win! :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stalker OFFLIFE:

Cargo!:

War of the Roses:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Sonic Generations: Unleashed. Sonic takes a tour round Dragon Road!

There's Sonic with a statue.

And...oh, guess he got bored.