Page 476 of 608 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,520 of 12148
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I was the one who posted some screens earlier, so... as simple third-person beat 'em-ups with staggeringly pretty art and sound design go, I liked it. It's no classic: despite the story promising the world with all the foofaraw about the value of memory and the price of progress, it's pretty predictable for the most part, and the "memory remixing" sequences are just simple puzzles of which there are, what, four throughout the whole game? And the combat is also far less complex than I assumed - they talked about crafting your own combo attacks, but you're always using the same patterns of button pressing, you just decide which of four effects each of those presses triggers, and there's much less potential for mixing things up than they'd like you to think.

That said, it plays well - the action is fast and satisfyingly crunchy, fighting is reasonably challenging (not that tough, but enough you won't break a controller), the story does touch on some nice plot beats the like of which videogames don't normally deal with and for all it was predictable I still got a lump in my throat/manly sniffles in a couple of places. It looks even better in motion, and the soundtrack is far and away one of my favourite albums this year. If it turns up in the Steam Christmas sale - which I'm sure it will - and you like simple action gaming with a nice amount of flash, I'd say go for it.

(I have no idea what keyboard controls are like, I'm afraid - I can't imagine playing it with anything other than a pad.)
    Yeah, I only played with a controller, there are reports that the mouse acceleration is awful. Still can't work out how the control scheme would work.
    I think you're selling the game short, but that's my opinion.
    I think it is nearly on the same level as Human Revolution. A brilliant game with some minor flaws that prevent it from being a classic. Which is amazing, considering that this gameplay is a simplified version of God Hand with a (french) woman as main character. *wink*Beyond Good and Evil*wink*.
    I think the fact that somewhere a publisher decided to fund this game is an event in and of itself. Call it a meta-review, if you may. Similar points were made when Cloud Atlas premiered, but this was made by a studio of unknowns (until now).
    Still, YMMV, but I certainly say this is the Game of my Year. Disclamer: I haven't played Binfinite nor Tomb Raider yet.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I think you're selling the game short, but that's my opinion.
    I agree, I quite liked it and I don't remember problems playing with M+K. The sense of place is really nicely done as well.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I repeat, the combat and the platforming are really, really simple, and there's not much reason to use the extra gameplay mechanics they give you (one of the longer combos with a heal, a recharge and a damage boost is pretty much all you need 90% of the time). Dynasty Warriors games have more depth. There's a definite gap between what the developers promised and the actual experience of play - on top of the combat, the memory remixes have one correct solution and a couple of jokey fails, they're pretty much just interactive cutscenes at significant plot beats. Not to mention the story raises any number of issues about its subject matter it flatly does not follow through on - to bring up just one example, if you're loudly and prominently arguing that your central MacGuffin is a sin against morality and a clear case of scientific progress gone mad, then if I cause someone unimaginable grief and distress by poking a finger in her brain and stirring it around, just because I'm the good guy so that makes it all okay, I expect there to be some kind of narrative comeback at the very least. Not simply to have it hand-waved away with a "But how else would we get you to the final level?".

I'm pleased people like it, I really am. I wish it had done better, I'm pleasantly surprised it got made and I don't regret paying full price for it. Like I said, I bought the soundtrack, and if they had an artbook I'd get that too. Still, if you want to think of it as your own game of the year, obviously that's your business, but I get pretty touchy when I'm accused of being dismissive - I think very carefully (probably too carefully, but eh) about why I don't like things. I see a game that was touted as some kind of gloriously progressive, thoughtful passion project that was single-handedly going to raise the industry's IQ by several points, but which turned out to be about as smart as Strange Days, at best, for all it meant well.

Still! This is the screenshot thread, so... it is damn pretty, yes, no argument there. And for all its flaws I would still buy anything else Dontnod get to make (I hope they get to make something) like a shot.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    pCARS:

[Flat-out prototype] Bugbear Retro Demo 2002
    Last edited by bad guy; 12-11-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I'm pleased people like it, I really am. I wish it had done better, I'm pleasantly surprised it got made and I don't regret paying full price for it. Like I said, I bought the soundtrack, and if they had an artbook I'd get that too. Still, if you want to think of it as your own game of the year, obviously that's your business, but I get pretty touchy when I'm accused of being dismissive - I think very carefully (probably too carefully, but eh) about why I don't like things. I see a game that was touted as some kind of gloriously progressive, thoughtful passion project that was single-handedly going to raise the industry's IQ by several points, but which turned out to be about as smart as Strange Days, at best, for all it meant well.

Still! This is the screenshot thread, so... it is damn pretty, yes, no argument there. And for all its flaws I would still buy anything else Dontnod get to make (I hope they get to make something) like a shot.
    I didn't want to be interpreted as dismissive, and your points are all valid. Chalk it up to lower standards on my part, or more accurately, "it just clicked" with me, or some subjective mumbo-jumbo. I agree it has flaws and like you eagerly await their next game.
    It's also one of the few games set in Paris. Besides The Saboteaur, I can't think of anyone else (Battlefield 3 doesn't count!)?
    Anyway, screenshots.

From now on it spoilerish, so that's all for now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    The Remember Me screenshots are giving me horrible flashbacks to SyndicateŠ, with its slick graphics style and text overlays. I have hopes that Remember Me will be enjoyable.
    I had hopes that SyndicateŠ would be enjoyable. SyndicateŠ was a q-hammering cumdumpster.
    I don't want to be hurt again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Hello Fallout: New Vegas

New Vegas is actually a Kerbal Space Program prequel.
    to wound the autumnal city.

just got my triple monitor setup going. Getting the resolution to work has been a bit of a pain with games I already installed, but otherwise it's great. The following Images are at a 5760x1200 Resolution.

Mirrors Edge:

Shift 2: Unleashed

Last edited by Wheelz; 13-11-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Deus Ex: HR

Awesome shots Wheelz,must be one hell of a setup you have!
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't get envious of my fellow PC gamers often, but the guys with triple monitors get me every time. One day I hope I too can join their club. Right now I am short on not just the funds, but also desktop real estate.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I don't get envious of my fellow PC gamers often, but the guys with triple monitors get me every time. One day I hope I too can join their club. Right now I am short on not just the funds, but also desktop real estate.
    Just wait for Oculus.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Just wait for Oculus.
    That's not entirely the same though, and comes with some downsides. As a quite avid flight sim player I'm afraid the Rift is not really of interest as I can't see my keyboard through it. For those purposes 3 monitors and TrackIR is much more valuable, frankly.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    Awesome shots Wheelz
    Agreed! Would love to see some STALKER shots if you have them Wheelz. Or more Mirror's Edge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ...must ...resist ...buying ...2 more monitors.

Great shots squire

thanks for the kind words folks. For anyone interested in the setup, the details can be found in the thread I made for sourcing the parts last month. The short version: 2x GTX 770 4Gb, across 3x 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M (16:10).

I'll have to see about STALKER, as it seems not all games play as nice across multiple monitors as others. For instance, Company of Heroes:

The UI has always been a bit large on CoH, but it takes up close to 1/3 of the screen, and makes trying to see the actual game very difficult.