Page 615 of 639 FirstFirst ... 115515565605613614615616617625 ... LastLast
Results 12,281 to 12,300 of 12780
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't know about SLI, but it performs significantly better. I've not got an excellent computer (some i5 processor, 8gb RAM, but nice graphics card on the 770gtx) and I've got everything on and set to max. The framerate drops in 9k troopcount land/water siege battles but mostly it's good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Good to know, thanks. Might pick it up in the next sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It's not fantastic now, but it's better. I get a reasonably steady 40fps with everything maxed. Crossfire doesn't work, at least not well, so I'd imagine SLI is the same.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I don't know about SLI, but it performs significantly better. I've not got an excellent computer (some i5 processor, 8gb RAM, but nice graphics card on the 770gtx) and I've got everything on and set to max. The framerate drops in 9k troopcount land/water siege battles but mostly it's good.
    How's it play? It's always performed well for me, and I was surprisingly impressed with the diplomacy element, but I heard tell of a lof AI factions not really knowing how to expand and just sort of building up armies as a roadblock to yourather than pursuing their own goals, as they had done in Napoleon and Shogun II. I'm very taken with the alternative victory conditions and very tempted to give a Parthian economic victory a go if they other AI actually play their own game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They make big armies and invade people who aren't you and make their own empires! Un...fortunately... they're just not that good at defending that territory yet. But patch 14 (yeah, I know, it's needed 14 patches so far...) has just came out and substantially improved the previous terrible siege AI, and they haven't said they're stopping the patches, so whilst I'm not gonna give them a pass on having cocked the game up so spectacularly at first (because wow, no, it was a bigger disaster than empire), I should also at least mention they also seem fairly committed to fixing it. For reference, in my game, the pontic empire (sinope, northern turkey) now reaches Parthia, and was allied with everything to its east and south (Bithynia, Pergamon, Egypt) so I had to actually use some tiny amount of thought to declare war on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Might pick it up in the next sale.
    It runs better, but it's still a stripped down, featureless, cesspool of boredom and monotony. Save your money, Seph.

Earth Destroyer
    Cool puzzle game. Play as an Alien. Not too deep though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    How's it play? It's always performed well for me, and I was surprisingly impressed with the diplomacy element, but I heard tell of a lof AI factions not really knowing how to expand and just sort of building up armies as a roadblock to yourather than pursuing their own goals, as they had done in Napoleon and Shogun II. I'm very taken with the alternative victory conditions and very tempted to give a Parthian economic victory a go if they other AI actually play their own game.
    I figured I'd take some screenshots that illustrate the enemy campaign AI.

This is my Carthage the turn before the civil war. Everything in modern day turkey belonged to pontus before I took it. Without a single army turning up to stop me. So I thought... maybe they just hadn't made any more soldiers?

Except there they are. Loads of the buggers, just marching on Parthia. So they're definitely building armies, but not one of them turned around to face me. It's a simple flaw in the AI. At first it was quite oblivious to whether you were strong or not, so in early patches it was suicidal in its aggression towards you. They changed that so it would look at your strength before attacking you. One problem: when you get late game, instead of them trying to take you, everyone's tripping over themselves to get as far away from you as possible. Pontus could have easily used those armies to blunt or at least put up a fight against my offensive, because I had 4 armies completely split up and unable to reinforce each other, just seizing land as fast as I could grab it.

So... the AI is building armies. And conquering land. But it needs a lot of work at actually trying to counter the player.

Wolfenstein: New Order

shot00001.jpg
    shot00005.jpg
    shot00006.jpg

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
    It runs better, but it's still a stripped down, featureless, cesspool of boredom and monotony. Save your money, Seph.

Are they marching with a XBox controller banner?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I figured I'd take some screenshots that illustrate the enemy campaign AI.

This is my Carthage the turn before the civil war. Everything in modern day turkey belonged to pontus before I took it. Without a single army turning up to stop me. So I thought... maybe they just hadn't made any more soldiers?

Except there they are. Loads of the buggers, just marching on Parthia. So they're definitely building armies, but not one of them turned around to face me. It's a simple flaw in the AI. At first it was quite oblivious to whether you were strong or not, so in early patches it was suicidal in its aggression towards you. They changed that so it would look at your strength before attacking you. One problem: when you get late game, instead of them trying to take you, everyone's tripping over themselves to get as far away from you as possible. Pontus could have easily used those armies to blunt or at least put up a fight against my offensive, because I had 4 armies completely split up and unable to reinforce each other, just seizing land as fast as I could grab it.

So... the AI is building armies. And conquering land. But it needs a lot of work at actually trying to counter the player.
    Thanks man, that's very helpful. I feel as though there's something there to work with at least.

Long or short campaign?
    Last edited by sonson; 05-08-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Are they marching with a XBox controller banner?
    Romans were always known to be early adopters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

You see that truck in the background? That bastard rammed me at full speed, didnt even bother braking! DAMN YOU AI!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    How's the city management in Rome 2 now? I was playing on Hard before and the AI was passive and rubbish but all I ended up doing was running around putting down slave revolts and general squalor revolts. Despite building the anti-squalor buildings and never having any slaves taken or slave buildings made. The whole thing was just a very annoying exercise in putting down rebellions.

Which wouldn't have been so bad if I could station lots of little armies garrisoning my cities, but the maximum army count meant I spent the whole time just running back from frontlines and bored me to tears.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
    It runs better, but it's still a stripped down, featureless, cesspool of boredom and monotony. Save your money, Seph
    Ha! Well now there's a ringing denouncement if I ever heard one. Thanks.

If it's dirt cheap in the christmas sale though then I might pick it up but otherwise I'll give it a miss.
    Last edited by SephKing; 05-08-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Flash mob on Skalisty Island

Bit of a failure seeing as half the mob couldn't seem to get to the island but fun nonetheless
    Last edited by Donjo; 05-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    How's the city management in Rome 2 now? I was playing on Hard before and the AI was passive and rubbish but all I ended up doing was running around putting down slave revolts and general squalor revolts. Despite building the anti-squalor buildings and never having any slaves taken or slave buildings made. The whole thing was just a very annoying exercise in putting down rebellions.

Which wouldn't have been so bad if I could station lots of little armies garrisoning my cities, but the maximum army count meant I spent the whole time just running back from frontlines and bored me to tears.
    I've not played the most recent patch, but I ended up just installing a mod that negates some of the squalor. I get that fishing ports would be dirty, and farms would be dirty, but having an extremely well fed and protected city revolt due to that was a pain. It was a constant juggle.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post

As long as you're not determined to build fully upgraded cities everywhere, it's quite manageable. I just finished my carthaginian campaign last night, and despite nowhere else in the world being punic (which gives you substantial cultural differences penalties wherever you go) I didn't have a single rebellion due to slaves or squalor. You just need to make sure you're balancing economic/food buildings with the odd temple, and it's always a good idea to have every walled city with an amphitheatre or equivalent, because at its most upgraded its 20+ public order for -10 food. That, and abandon the idea of having everything max tier. You need your rural backwaters with little farms that produce food but no squalor to feed your bustling metropolises with no food but tons of econ/public order buildings. It does actually pay off. By endgame, Nova Carthage itself (not the region, just one city) was producing 3600 a turn, and had the ability to recruit end game units from every part of the tech tree.

but because it's the screenshot thread, the last of my carthage screenshots.

Carthage at the point of victory.

The punic equivalent of a midlife crisis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    As long as you're not determined to build fully upgraded cities everywhere, it's quite manageable. I just finished my carthaginian campaign last night, and despite nowhere else in the world being punic (which gives you substantial cultural differences penalties wherever you go) I didn't have a single rebellion due to slaves or squalor. You just need to make sure you're balancing economic/food buildings with the odd temple, and it's always a good idea to have every walled city with an amphitheatre or equivalent, because at its most upgraded its 20+ public order for -10 food. That, and abandon the idea of having everything max tier. You need your rural backwaters with little farms that produce food but no squalor to feed your bustling metropolises with no food but tons of econ/public order buildings. It does actually pay off. By endgame, Nova Carthage itself (not the region, just one city) was producing 3600 a turn, and had the ability to recruit end game units from every part of the tech tree.
    That is what I did and it never really worked it just annoyed the hell out of me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post

You see that truck in the background? That bastard rammed me at full speed, didnt even bother braking! DAMN YOU AI!
    Who had right of way?
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.