Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Recommend a good action RPG?

After trying out the Dungeon Siege 3 demo it has left me hankering for a new action RPG to sink some time into and break a few mice over. The problem is I've played most of the obvious choices (Sacred, Titan Quest, Diablo etc). I'm sure the fine folks of RPS could come up with a few obscurer recommendations.

Old or new, I don't mind which. Although if it is an older game you are recommending, it'd be nice if you could include how well it runs on modern systems, what tinkering is required, or if it is on gog (that'd be handy).

Torchlight?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNoghri View Post
    Torchlight?
    Ah, probably should have included that one as it's quite popular. Already played it. Great game actually. But at least it's the right sort of game xD

Activated Node
    This isn't my area of expertise but I've just done a little RPS searching and either of the following might be up your street. As I say, I've not played them or even know anybody who has played them so I cannot speak for quality at all.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...path-of-exile/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...urse-new-demo/

Dragon Age 2. Haven't played it, but i heard it's a lot more hack & slash than the first one.
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Din's Curse is pretty great, though it's a bit graphically primitive. Sort of a cross between and roguelike and an action RPG, with dynamic events and procedurally generated everything. I've been really enjoying it, but it may or may not be your cup of tea. Give the demo a try, and stick with it long enough to get at least a sense of the dynamic world (which is the real selling point here).

http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html

You've got to love a world where one of the town vendors can turn out to have secretly been worshipping the dark gods, poisoned the town water supply, then fled into the labyrinth beneath town, all with no scripting.
    Last edited by vinraith; 11-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

While I imagine you're asking about games available now, I've been keeping my eyes on Grim Dawn. It's by the same team that developed TQ.

http://crateentertainment.com/games.php
    Last edited by Ignorant Texan; 11-06-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Failure to Read Original Post

I can say that I did enjoy sacred gold a while back, its played from the same perspective and from what I remember is kind of similar to those type of games but with a more open world to explore rather than the strict linear progression of a torchlight or titan quest.

cheap this weekend on GOG too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I own both Sacred and Sacred 2 but never played either. I don't generally get on well with action RPGs but the open world aspect intrigues me, which one is more worth playing of the two?

I didn't know there was a second game :\

it is an open world though, and all the classes start in a different part of the world with their own backstory, and it has horse back combat too! at least I think it has horseback combat, its been a few years.

Network Hub
    Gave the Din's Curse demo a shot. Seems like a really fun game that I could see myself sinking many hours into. Unfortunately it also made my computer lock up, a problem I'm pretty sure is my computers fault (one I used to have with 2d games, and I thought I had fixed :/). A shame.

I have Sacred 2, played it for a few hours. Decent enough game but something about it never really "clicked" for me. Can anyone that has played both tell me how the original compares to the sequel? I remember hearing at the time a lot of people were disappointed in Sacred 2.

Activated Node
    Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale has an action RPG side (in the loosest possible sense). I'm sure it's not what you're looking for but I put it out there as an oddball choice. There's a demo available, I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Might and Magic VI without ever switching to turn-based mode. Technically an action RPG.

Dragon Age
    The Witcher
    The Witcher II
    TES IV

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I vastly prefer the original Sacred to the sequel - the sequel is a lot "emptier".

However, my wife and me gave up frustrated with Sacred 1 when her characterfile got corrupted by nothing else than trying some horsecombat after we put around 40 hours of gameplay in. Never touched it since.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Gave the Din's Curse demo a shot. Seems like a really fun game that I could see myself sinking many hours into. Unfortunately it also made my computer lock up, a problem I'm pretty sure is my computers fault (one I used to have with 2d games, and I thought I had fixed :/). A shame.

I have Sacred 2, played it for a few hours. Decent enough game but something about it never really "clicked" for me. Can anyone that has played both tell me how the original compares to the sequel? I remember hearing at the time a lot of people were disappointed in Sacred 2.
    Hmm, sorry to hear the Din's demo gave you trouble. It's a game that's received an enormous amount of post release support, (current version is 1.024) but it'd obviously be impossible to say if the new patches would help your issue without being able to try them.

As to Sacred 2, I have to second Vexing Vision. It's a neat game, lots of crazy stuff in it, but its scope considerably outreaches its depth. The world is huge, but enormously empty, and I say that as someone who has very nearly never met an open world he didn't like.

Space Siege. Seriously.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Ever play Divine Divinity? It's still quite beloved.

Banned
    Throne of Darkness. Anyone remember this one? It's like a Japanese bestiary come to life.

Seal of Evil. A bit slow-moving and easy. The sequel (I think) to a game called Prince of Qin

Magic & Mayhem is a wonderful fantasy RTS/RPG.

And of course NOX
    Last edited by amandachen; 12-06-2011 at 04:28 AM.

You've probably played it but if you haven't then Dungeon Seige 2 is underreated in my opinion.