Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMOs

MMOs

Anyone playing anything MMOish?

I suspect my time with MMOs is over, but I am still hoping something will come up...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The closest I'm likely to come to something MMOish is Guild Wars 2 when it releases, though the very fact that it's more like an MMO than its predecessor may put me off it.

Ehm... Participating in a forum counts?
    If you like prog rock, then you're with me. If you dont, you are against.

I used to love MMOs, then I stopped. Not quite sure why.
    But I'll play Salem when it finally shows it's head.

Obscure Node
    Recently had a go with WoW playing with a couple of other RPS chaps. It got to the point where fewer and fewer people were logging on every evening, though, so it kinda fizzled out for me. Cataclysm dungeons can be very fun as a healer, especially on heroic difficulty, if you play with people you know. The problem for me was that a lot of the time I had to rely on the dungeon finder to get groups, and more often than not you get grouped with at least one truly awful human being which can really ruin the whole experience.

I really miss the first few years of Everquest (classic + first two expansions). Soloing was just impracticable for pretty much every class - it really forced people to be social. Plus, no instances made for a stronger server community (in my opinion).

Guild Wars 2 is looking interesting. It looks like they've got some great ideas, but I'm interested in what the "end game" will consist of. I've seen one quote from a developer saying something along the lines of "the end game begins at level 1", which sounds cool but leaves me a little worried about what players can actually do once they reach max level. In any case Arena Net seem to be on the ball, I'm confident they'll ship a pretty classy game.

Edit: Played Rift a few weeks as well. Can't really say anything bad about it from what little I've played. Certainly it's gorgeous, and the mechanics seemed solid, but it just wasn't different enough for me from what I'm used to. Just lost interest.
    Last edited by SoulPride; 12-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.

If the Fallout MMO ever comes out and is good I suspect my life outside the internet will end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Still playing WoW on and off but to be honest my guild is the only thing that keeps me coming back, and if it wasn't for the community and the random silly things we get up to I would have dropped the game long ago.

Had some random pokes at LotRO over the years, both before and after the F2P move, but the quality is so uneven and the game swings from great and atmospheric to wonky and awkward too much for me. I've also been reading the books yearly since I was about 10, so the constant bludgeoning of the lore grates quite a bit.

Gave Guild Wars a try a while ago and while setting up your character and messing around with different skills was great fun there was nothing else in the game that really grabbed me.

I'd really love a new MMO to sink my teeth into, exploring a massive world and all that, but there isn't much out there that seems interesting enough. Might give TOR a try, if it reviews well and I hear more good things about it, othat than that it's just GW2 that looks very promising, but I'm a bit wary so that one will probably also have to wait until people start giving opinions after release.

Playing some EverQuest on the new progression server. Mostly while working.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    The latest "buzz" on MMOs are online brawlers such as Dungeon Fighters and I'm offering a Rusted Hearts key in the RPS kindness thread. This one comes from Perfect World, the guys that made one of the few korean grindfest capable of looking on-par with WoW.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Not playing MMOs here. I keep thinking I'll give Champions a try, or LotR. But then I don't. I'm very much a single-player guy, and MMOs seem to want too large of chunks of time.

I'm playing a Cheinese(i think) mmo,called Loong

It's pretty good,i like the battle system and the graphics are really good for an mmo
    here is a trailer

Obscure Node
    For the millionth time I've been tempted back to EVE. I just wanted a 'passive' game that I can alt-tab in and out of whilst doing my assignments. Just doing distribution missions as they are low risk and slowly raising my rep and ISK balance.

I can't say I've ever found EVE fun, but it is oddly satisfying.

I have tried Star Trek Online again recently and I love the space combat and the customization of your ship/crew. Ground combat is still awful, I wish they'd just scrap it and have it as a fun FPS straight up shooter like Elite Force. I just don't find it worth the money, it would work great as F2P. As it is Cryptic charge a bloody fortune for all the DLC, you'd think it was F2P.

WoW I've given up on. I just wasn't gripped by Cataclysm. I think the problem was I'd just burned out on the game too many times already. It's a great game but no longer worth the money for me.

Still have a Rift subscription, but haven't really played since the Witcher 2 came out and then Terraria and then I decided to re-play Oblivion, all of which seemed more fun than the repetitive boredom of doing daily quests/dungeons. Although I did enjoy Rift for a good while, mostly because some of it reminded me of the EQ1 glory days.

I have tried WoW for a month and Age of Conan for a month. Both were ok but I didn't get myself into a good guild that would have served as a community to make me stay. Alone in those games or in a guild that doesnt do about anything is boring so I stopped playing them. I played Aion for 6 months with a year in between the first three months and last three months. Both times I could manage that long because I was in good legions (guilds). Then I have also played EVE for few months but even though it's slow and not very captivating there is something oddly satisfying in it like revelationspace said.

Most time I have used in Guild Wars. It is not a mmo but It was the first online "rpg" for me because at the time it came out I could not have afforded playing WoW. I'm not playing it anymore, just logging in once in a while to see how things are going. I have changed guilds so many times in GW that I dont even remember how many. There have been awesome guilds and bad guilds and allkinds of things in between. Most of the time I had to change guilds was because ppl just stopped playing and there were not enough ppl to play with. Also I have been in many MMO betas like APB, RIFT and others I dont remember.

I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and hope it delivers enough of its promises to make it worth its while.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't play any MMOs and never really have, bar Guild Wars. Something would have to be truly special to make me pay a monthly fee and nothing has come along to really tempt me. EVE is probably the one that looks the most interesting, but I didn't get far into the trial version before I realised I would need to put hundreds of hours into it to get anything out of playing.

Guild Wars I did play for quite a bit, but left after eventually noticing how boring it was. The combat was exceptionally dull, not helped by the mate I was playing with managing to pick an incredibly powerful spell he could just spam (as ever, I went for the powers that sounded cool, but were terrible.) There just didn't seem to be any depth at all. Which leaves me complete baffled by the comments on it now that the sequel is coming, as people are saying how much there was to it! I can only assume they were talking about PvP, as the PvE was just boring. I think it mainly came down to it not having vast amounts of loot, story being mundane and lack of things to upgrade, all the things I like from an RPG. Both of us got the sense that we were missing something, somewhere that had all the options, but this just never seemed to come along.

Of upcoming MMOs, The Secret World could be interesting. I love The Longest Journey, so anything from the same team is going to be worth taking note of. Planetside could be good too. Never played the original, but the idea of a persistant FPS is very tempting.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 12-06-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Playing WoW on and off - I don't have a continuous subscription and instead buy a two-month game card whenever the desire hits me. Cataclysm has slightly made me a bit less interested in the game though: while I adore a lot of the new features, the current quest design of making things very linear and breezing you through content is somewhat of a damaging hit to the side of the game I like the most, ie questing and exploring.

I'm sure I'll get around to it again at some point though, bit too busy with other games right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Aside from my aversion to the overgrown Cat & naked rabbit people I'm faintly interested in Guild Wars 2 principally because they are if not revolutionizing the existing MMO format, at least evolving it mechanistically (something Bioware Austin should of been attempting with TOR). Whether that interest will generate into an actual sale and playtime I'm uncertain at this point in time. An MMO is a serious time commitment and I love my SP games.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Been playing In Por Ylem (IPY ) on and off since it launched in February. It's a free Ultima Online shard, been modified but not over the top. The core of the game is all intact and based on the original pre trammel rules. I have to add it's one hell of a grind. I'm nowhere near GM and I'/ve been at it on and off for months. Which has put me off really combined with the nostalgia wearing off.
    Still, it's fun and free. The forums behave just the same as they did back in the day. Whinge, moan, flame, repeat!

EVE I dip in and out of, sometimes running missions with old corpmates or taking people I know who've just started on a couple of jaunts so-on. I'd love to get back out to 0.0, but without a functioning corp or the time to justify membership in a new one, I don't see it happening. One day I might get together enough ISK to buy something sneaky and roam around soloing, but maybe not. Without something adjusting the balance away from capship combat - something I've never really been interested in - I don't see myself as ever getting properly involved in it again.

I've got a Warhammer Online account that I let lapse a long time ago. I got it about a month after launch and was horrified with how fast some people had managed to level. I liked a lot of the ideas, such as the wide variety of loot that actually has an impact on your ability at early levels, but the game as a whole was a bit... sterile. Not grim enough and I really hate the WoW-style combat controls.

The other game I invested time in was Ultima Online. I loved it in the early days, continued because of some good people and interesting challenges (I've never played a game that was as rewarding for solo PvE in terms of variety and risk/reward) in the mid-end game stage. Then they wrecked it beyond all recognition. I'd probably still play if I could find a decent The Second Age indie shard, but the ones I've tried were either sparsely populated or had stupid rule mods.

I tried WoW years ago and found it very dull so never went beyond the trial period. I'll be very interested in 40k Online when there's enough information about it to make any kind of decision. Other than that, I haven't heard anything about an MMO that has interested me enough to investigate. Since leaving university/singledom/self-employed work from home, I don't have time to justify even checking out anything that isn't a massive blip on my nerd radar. Maybe once upon a time I'd have been quite hopeful about The Old Republic but since Bioware have gone from the top to near the bottom of my favourite developer lists, I really have no interest in it. I also think that Galaxies showed the problems with a game world where everyone wants to be an ultra-elite ninja magician.

Anyone tried Perpetuum?