[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 21/02/2012 - Ambush Night

A splendid session with 27 strong, strapping soldiers. We had a great mix of kills, death, success, failure and a dash of hiding behind rocks. Tonights missions were:
    • Guns of Nagarone
    • Cordonbleufor
    • Payback
    • Rural Ural

Guns of Nagarone is one of Bodges new missions with multiple objectives. Charlie with engineers took care of the generators to the northwest while the rest of the troops piled up into the Humvees. This main force waited a while behind rocks, waiting for the armored caravan to start rolling when Charlie finished their objective. Our heroes decimated the vehicles when they did go past and rejoined with Charlie for the attack on Nagara. With some creative use of rocket launchers and satchels both the cannons and ammo boxes were destroyed. Success!

Next in the mission list was the adversarial mission Cordonbleufor were blufor were to escape the cordon the opfor troops already had set up. And boy did they have a challenge. Player opfor troops pushed in through the north while blufor were holding out in the north west part of the cordon. But in the end they could not hold out against the combined efforts of the AI and player opfors so they take this win for the takistani people.

In Payback opfor troops were tasked with intercepting a transport, stealing the weapons and then attacking the airfield with their newly acquired weapons. Sadly the transport detected our troops before reaching the appointed ambush point but things turned out well anyway with minimal losses even when hostiles from the airport arrived. With the new weapons everybody started moving west but within short time MI-8 helicopters started appearing overhead, sending all players into a mad dash towards the airfield. Things where going very well until we all got to the outer wall of the airport. Reports of a ZU were spreading while most players died behind the hangars. Ebass did an epic last stand but alas could not hold out.

Last out was the Chernarous based Rural Ural, the mission where opfor troops spawned in the north of Orlovets and had to take out two ZU's to the southwest and southeast (at Solnichniy). Using automotive transports (ones with wheels and not tracks sadly) all troops were transported to the eastern ZU and set up to attack en masse from the west. Turns out hunters are pretty tough, taking with them multiple casualties. But in the end, TacTues players were able to secure the area and even steal the ZU. With the ZU setting up south of the next target the rest of the infantry moved on foot due west towards the same target.
    Attacking from two directions things turned to deadly. On both sides. It was close, with less players alive than you can count on one hand, but victory was achieved.

Thanks for tonight everybody for a great session. I bet you also got some interesting stories to tell, please do below!
    Last edited by SvDvorak; 21-02-2012 at 10:58 PM.

That was a really good session. It was also nice to see new faces, hopefully we'll see you again. It gets less confusing real quick, trust me.
    I managed to cap two reasonably good videos too: Guns of Nagarone, and Cordon Bleufor.

Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

For Guns of Nagarone, Harakka's Delta Squad (IIRC) set up at the point furthest left of the platoon ambush loc approx 1km NE of Nagara, near Nagara-1 Oilfields. Ordered to "keep down and out of site", AR washington and asst. AR Xenu set up behind a rock formation and went to ground. When the target convoy entered kill zone and the SL detonated ordnance, Delta suffered one oley - the AR whilst trying to get to a firing position.
    After the platoon cleared the ambush of enemy infantry, the two medics proficiently fixed up the AR and the squad continued SW towards next OA Nagara, assigned the element's right hand flank. Encountering and killing a few smaller patrols, all fireteams (including Charlie and Engineers frag-ordered in with MH-6J's, having destroyed enemy equipment and positions in Nur) met up in a half-moon NE around and finally assaulted Nagara. Harakka ordered Delta AR up and on to the third floor of a building for overwatch as the rest of the Squad set up security around the main Nagara crossroads, waiting for other squads to fill in and destroy enemy caches and artillery units. Delta "took care of" a few enemy infantry soldiers near the intersection and began a door-to-door clearing maneuver. The enemy hardware was destroyed soon thereafter, with no more contacts in Nagara, mission was declared finished. Job done.

IMO Harakka really excelled as SL, ordering the squad around with formations, movement plans and directions for fire. Particularly appreciated were the orders to stay out of sight, increasing the chances of a successful ambush. Also, when moving towards Nagara, we hid behind larger rocks so as not to expose ourselves whilst Alpha (?) moved up to our left. This is something I'd like to see more of - not seeing, that is, as usually it will get players killed because the want to get eyes on even when it's not critical that they do.

All in all, good mission and good fun!

Obscure Node
    Great session as always.
    Guns of Nagorone.
    As part of charlie squad we choppered in to infiltrate Nur and destroy the generators.Our stealthy approach paid off as a 3 man patrol passed right by us,tracking them in my sights they suddenly turned and headed straight for us.At a distance of approximately 10 feet(!) i let rip and nailed the enemy(yay leetness..)
    We carried on into town bumping a patrol or three.Due to some superior squad leading and comms,we maintained momentum,laying waste to the enemy as they were being reinforced from the surrounding area.
    After the all clear the generators were spotted and duly disposed off.A quick chopper ride saw us inserting into a hot L.Z.
    Running low on ammo we fought our way into town in time to witness the destruction of the arty.

Cordonbleufor.
    A desperate fight.Got some kills,survived until almost the end.Got whacked on a roof trying to save somebody.

Payback.
    As the ambush started,for some reason i opened a door and let in some very angry .50 cal rounds that promptly tore apart our previously safe hidey hole.Big sorry for that folks!
    After grabbing an rpk from a truck i ran round a corner into the middle of the road like a loon.I was promptly headshot by a prone enemy waiting in the street, and killed outright.
    Then it was off to work.

Just for the record, my mumble works before i play but once in mission it does not for some reason.I just realised i have been chatting away and no one can hear me,i thought you were all just ignoring me,LOL.Anyone had similiar problems with mumble?Ive tried everything.
    Last edited by Bushcat; 22-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushcat View Post
    Just for the record, my mumble works before i play but once in mission it does not for some reason.I just realised i have been chatting away and no one can hear me,i thought you were all just ignoring me,LOL.Anyone had similiar problems with mumble?Ive tried everything.
    does win 7 for some strange reason automute your mic?

Network Hub
    You will learn to love M4 SDs, for nagarone when you kill the crates and guns you should get a hint telling you to extract.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    You will learn to love M4 SDs, for nagarone when you kill the crates and guns you should get a hint telling you to extract.
    I think one of the guns wasn't destroyed, but we'd run out of satchels and called it. Was something else supposed to happen in the extraction stage?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    does win 7 for some strange reason automute your mic?
    I have tried everything with mumble,maybe next Tuesday i can jump on early and get it sorted with u Wolf?
    It works fine before game and in slotting,but in mission it fails?
    I have Windows 7 and have set it to not attenuate on the desktop..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    you can join the RPS steam chat any time and ask for help/testing.