Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Frozen Synapse dark extermination league - season 2. All welcome!

The first season of the RPS Frozen Synapse league has finished, and season 2 will kick off next week. New participants are encouraged to sign up (as are the players from season 1, of course) whether you're a grizzled old bastard or entirely new to the game. In essence, if you own Frozen Synapse then sign yourself up.

If you're like to join in, please add yourself to this spreadsheet. You will probably need to play between 6 and 10 matches in a two-week period, starting next Monday, so don't sign up if you're about to go on holiday for a fortnight. It would also be useful if you could PM me your email address so that I can give you a nudge if you're running out of time to take your turns.

I have as usual overextended myself and haven't set out all the rules yet. But in a nutshell: all games will be Dark Extermination mode (i.e. you need to kill the other player's men before he/she kills yours, and you can only see the enemy players if you have line of sight) on symmetrical maps. Detailed rules will follow later this week.

That's all for now; go and sign up!

Whooo! Many thanks to WombatDeath for his work making this happen, thoroughly enjoy the last Season. Also here be youtube videos run by ColOfNature. Or you can replay any match in game with the search and six digit game number.

Network Hub
    Indeed, many thanks to Wombat for organising everything and hopefully we can have a bigger and altogether more bad-ass season 2 :D

We have fifteen players signed up for season 2 so far, which is a good start, but I'd like a few more.

If you're new to the game, sign up! We're friendly and we don't bite (we just hurl lethal munitions at each other in enclosed spaces). The rules are straightforward, there are plenty of people to help out if you need assistance, and it's a great way of getting more experience.

If you're an experienced player, sign up! Someone needs to beat Circle at some point.

And if you're somewhere in the middle, sign up - the more the bloodier!

count me in as cannon fodder. pew pew pew
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

I want to get in on this, but I'll be away 29th-8th

Can I play my games around then?

Count me in

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingstalker View Post
    I want to get in on this, but I'll be away 29th-8th

Can I play my games around then?
    You're going to be away for almost the entire duration of the season, so I'm afraid that's not going to work this time. Join in season 3 after you get back!
    Last edited by WombatDeath; 25-08-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Excellent, we've got nineteen players for season 2. One more to balance the divisions would be splendid, if anyone would like to take the plunge?

I will do! :D

Just signed up! Missed the last league so now is my time to shine :D

Season 2 has now begun! We have three divisions, so thanks to all those who've signed up. You can now start issuing challenges and playing your matches - click here to see the league tables.

Important: each player has the responsibility of challenging every player above him/her in the appropriate division. That means that, for instance, cimethink in division three has to issue five challenges: to mdean, airtekh, echodb, imirk and Du3lingDragon. Crakker, in division one, only has to issue one challenge (to circle2).

If you are unsure who you should be challenging, look at the second tab on the spreadsheet. You need to issue a challenge for each game in which you are Player 1. If you're still unsure, post in this thread or send me a PM.

Game rules and league procedures

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:

Mode: Dark Elimination
    Map type: symmetrical
    Turn limit:
    eight turns
    Turn duration
    : five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
    Visibility: vis at time zero
    Team strength: three or four men per player (the same for each player, of course)
    Server: UK1

Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.

2) After creating each game on server UK1, the challenger must state the challenge in this thread. Format: "[Player1] has challenged [Player2] in game [game ID]".

3) After each game has been completed, the player accepting the challenge must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "[Victorious player] has defeated [defeated player] in game [game ID] by [number of men killed by victorious player] men to [number of men killed by defeated player]".

In the event of a draw, the format is "[Challenging player] and [challenged player] have drawn in game [game ID], killing [number of men killed per player] men each."

I will update the spreadsheet with the result.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Sunday 28th August). All games must be completed by the end of Sunday 11th September, British Summer Time.

5) We're all reasonable people, probably, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or dead, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will use my discretion and award points to one, both or neither player, depending on the circumstances.

7) At the end of the season the top three players in each of divisions 2 and 3 will be promoted to the division above. The bottom three players in each of divisions 1 and 2 will be relegated to the division below.

8) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, whimsy and iron-fisted authoritarianism.

Finally, someone added 'mrpharmacist' to the sign-up sheet but there is nobody registered on the forum with that name. If this is you, please let me know and I will add you back into the table.

Good luck!
    Last edited by WombatDeath; 28-08-2011 at 11:54 PM.

How to create a game with the correct settings

This may be useful to those newer to Frozen Synapse:

1) Log in to server UK1.
    2) Click the 'Multiplayer' button at the top of the screen
    3) Click 'Create a game'
    4) Set the game mode to Dark Extermination
    5) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
    6) Ignore the scary warning and click 'OK'
    7) Click the 'Generate symmetrical' button
    8) If you get a silly map, or if you don't have three or four men per side, go back to (7) and repeat until you're happy
    9) Click the 'Submit' button
    10) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'
    11) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'
    12) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 8 (and the 'Turn length' to 5000, which is the default)
    13) Enter your opponent's username
    14) Enter 'RPS Dark Extermination League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
    15) Click the 'Submit' button
    16) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in point 2 of the post directly above this one.

imirk has challenged mdean in game 253781
    imirk has challenged airtekh in game 253791
    imirk has challenged echodb in game 253797
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

airtekh has challenged mdean in game 254309
    Last edited by airtekh; 29-08-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    CMaster has challenged ChainsawHands in game 254348
    CMaster has challenged WombatDeath in game 254355
    CMaster has challenged Roarster in game 254359
    CMaster has challenged SFLegend in game 254363

Most of the games I've thought at least a bit about tactics and tried to predict what opponents might do. The WombatDeath game however is just going to be a pure crapshoot.
    Last edited by CMaster; 29-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Network Hub
    Woo, good luck everybody :)

Web_cole challenges Crakker in game 254328

Web_cole challenges circle2 in game 254622
    Last edited by Web Cole; 29-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.

SFLegend has challenged ChainsawHands in game 254446
    SFLegend has challenged WombatDeath in game 254449
    SFLegend has challenged Roarster in game 254450

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The match between myself and SFLegend is already shaping up to be a pretty interesting one. Bullets flying everywhere and last minute dodges galore.

Jolima has challenged CMaster in game 254759.
    Jolima has challenged Roarster in game 254754.
    Jolima has challenged WombatDeath in game 254751.
    Jolima has challenged ChainsawHands in game 254749.
    Jolima has challenged SFLegend in game 254743.