Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Defender's Quest ... RELEASED!

RPS posted an article about this charming not-so-little demo. I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the game (due out Nov, according to the website), but the site seems to have disappeared. Does anyone have any news of this game? Is it still coming out or did the website disappear for good? -Sean
    Last edited by Fidelicatessen; 25-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Activated Node
    Yo,

This is Lars Doucet, lead developer for Defender's Quest!

We're still on schedule for November release, though by that we mean November 30th :). We'll see how it goes. We've been working hard on updates since the demo was last released and there's a LOT of cool new stuff since you last saw the game.

And I am about to send a very nasty e-mail to my web host! I'm probably going to move to someone different just prior to launch because I am sick of the constant downtime.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by larsiusprime View Post
    Yo,

This is Lars Doucet, lead developer for Defender's Quest!

We're still on schedule for November release, though by that we mean November 30th :). We'll see how it goes. We've been working hard on updates since the demo was last released and there's a LOT of cool new stuff since you last saw the game.
    Yay! This is great news. I thought Defender's Quest was quite refreshing. I was briefly afraid by this thread that the game wasn't going to make it.

Good luck on your imminent release, I will definitely be purchasing the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Good to hear Lars. Got a real kick out of the demo, so I'll likely be picking up the game. Hopefully RPS post on the front page once it's out to remind me.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Activated Node
    Thanks guys!

Never fear, flaky web hosts shall not keep us from delivering the promised gaming goodness!

While I've got you guys here, might get some quick feedback on an idea. We said we'd release November (30th) and we are still on schedule to do that, but we also have some bonus features we'd like to include that would take longer to develop. A lot of the bonus content is coded up already, but it still needs testing, polish, etc, and our main focus right now is just getting the regular game finished.

The current plan is to release the full game, sans bonus features, but otherwise "complete" on or around the original release date, at a reduced price. Then, whenever we finish the bonus content (maybe an extra month or two), we'll release that too at our originally planned price, and of course anyone who bought the early release gets it for free.

Before anyone asks what prices we're going to set - we haven't quite finalized that and we don't want to state something publicly that we later contradict, but I CAN say that the maximum price will be WELL below $20 USD, as we want to maximize the value you get for your money :)

Planned bonus content (coming after initial release):

1) Extra challenge missions.

When you finish all the main game content, you can play a bunch of extra missions that have nothing to do with the story. These will give you extra content to test a high-level party against, so you can do something with that tricked out level 40 party and go nuts.

2) Multiple "endless" challenges.

We want to include at least one endless challenge in the regular game, but I'd like to put multiple ones in, and this might have to wait for the bonus release.

3) Special equipment for the main character

Right now, the main character can't equip weapons and armor. I've got a bonus feature in the works that lets her equip special magic books. Instead of buffing her stats, these books change the rules of the battle, and are tied to one of her 6 spells, usually.

For instance, one book adds chain lightning to the lightning spell, so for every skill point in the spell it makes her lightning attack chain to an additional enemy.

Another book makes it so defenders automatically become frenzied when they drop below 25% health, another one makes them explode when they're defeated (damaging nearby enemies), another one makes lightning catch enemies on fire, etc. She'll be able to equip up to two of them, so you can mix and match effects.

Other books include "bad" books that make the game harder - such as making it so you can't cast spells, or make it so when a defender is knocked out they can't be summoned again in that battle. These are for people who like to make things harder on themselves. Others just make things interesting - like the book of plagues, which poisons all enemies AND all defenders, etc. This should add some variety and fun to the post-game bonus content.

Also, we've been incorporating a lot of feedback from demo players, and most concerns people have raised have already been addressed. We'll release an updated demo along with the full version of the game so you can see what's been fixed. Here's a short list:

1) Re-Customize / Re-name characters after you've hired them
    2) Visual overhaul - no more drab grey user interface@
    3) Visual overhaul - trying out a new art style with cutscenes - no more horrible backgrounds!
    4) Lots more hotkeys
    5) 100% tab-navigatable interface
    6) Fixed a bunch of bugs people reported
    7) Healers don't totally suck anymore!
    8) More carefully balanced skills and stats

We'll be crawling out of our cave shortly, with new trailers, screenshots, and an updated website as soon as we stabilize the current build. Thanks for being patient with us!

Activated Node
    Also, turns out my web host is innocent! I just forgot to renew the domain. Web site should be back in a few minutes :)

Good to hear--thanks for the responses, Mr. Doucet! I'll be expecting to see this out in a week or two (no pressure)...

Network Hub
    Game is out now. Looks pretty nice for the price especially. http://www.defendersquest.com/

Use the code ZEBOYD to get $1 off during January.

https://twitter.com/#!/werezompire/s...99282450522112

Activated Node
    Nice!

Your release idea is good and I think it'll work out for you. I'd recommend doing a bit of customer expectation management with how your present it so folks won't feel like they've been cheated out of something. Fortunately, since you're doing it all from your own website it won't be hard to do.

A fun idea would be to initially sell something like a limited-time only Defender's Quest: Early Adopter Edition. It doesn't have the bonus content, but anyone who buys it will get the content for free when it comes out. You could also throw in a simple, fun freebie to remind folks how awesome they are for buying your game early. Once the bonus content is out, you'd just take down the EAE and put up the complete game at its regular price point. That way people who buy early can feel like they're appreciated while people who wait a bit don't feel like they've missed out.

Honestly, though, you guys seem to know what you're doing and I'm sure your release will be awesome.
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.

Activated Node

Free Download codes!

Hey! Thanks for resurrecting this thread, guys!

@vecordae,

I'm kind of drowning right now handling support and maintenance, but I'll do my best to make all that clear, yeah!

Everyone who buys this version of the game DEFINITELY will get free upgrades to all future versions (the full game has an auto-update mechanism that fetches the new version from our server whenever I upload it).

The bonus version comes out in a few months and will have lots of crunchy end-game content and hidden secrets and other stuff we cram in there!

Also, while I'm at it..... here's 5 free download codes! One-time use - First come, first serve!

www.defendersquest.com
    FREE3BHYX
    FREE5RSRJ
    FREE3UFEA
    FREE3ZBPK
    FREE9UAPM

Activated Node
    Also, any way we can change the title of this thread to "Defender's Quest RELEASED" ? :)

Activated Node
    Joy! Just snagged the game! Thank you for all your hard work and making such a fun and engaging title.
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Snagged one ;)

Great stuff; I got a copy - I used the middle code FREE3UFEA. FREE3ZBPK and FREE9UAPM have been used, don't know about the top two. Thanks larsiusprime.

Activated Node
    When all the free codes are gone, the code RPS is good for $1 off throughout the month of January :)

I used the top code. Muchos Gracias!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seems a pretty cool game!.

I played a few maps, explored a bit. Theres a lot of things I like. The music, the story, the graphics (simple but cute, love the nice touch that you can reskin your heros), the thing that wen you lose a map you gain something (a bit of xp) and you can try again. Is a very friendly and likeable TD game the one you guys have here!.

Network Hub
    I played the demo on Thursday, bought the game and soundtrack at 2pm yesterday and played until gone midnight. This thing is fiendishly clever. I feel compelled to give each level just one more try if I fail it, or to go back and grind to level up a little if I fail horribly. The writing's made me laugh out loud a whole bunch of times (Especially the Berserker) and, well, the last unit you get is (spoiler)a fucking DRAGON.

I can see myself losing time to this in the same way Puzzle Quest took over my evening to the point I was matching gems in my head when I was trying to sleep.

Hi larsiusprime, I was extremely impressed with the demo. Any chance of a Steam release?