Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The N7 sniper, the Valiant, kicks ass. I've been using it more recently on Gold with my infiltrators. I've unlocked the Black Widow too and whilst it does more damage, the speed and accuracy of the Valiant feels better to use.
    Firing speed, reloading speed and kickback are all far superior on the Valiant, but the Black Widow has the far better sound. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It's that tough decision that only games can create. Do you be more beneficial to your team, or do you let them hear a sweet-ass sound? Toughy, no questions.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

does anyone have a higher level black widow then? how does it compare to the entry level?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I only have the M-Widow or whatever it's called, lot's of walking back and forth between ammo boxes but it packs a lot of power. Nailing two enemies with one bullet is wonderful.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Put on the armour-piercing mod and you can do that with any sniper rifle. And it's magnificent.

I tried out the Viper semi-auto sniper rifle earlier. It's at mark 6. It's poor. It packs too much recoil for too little damage. The reload time is about the same as the Valiant, but the re-fire time is slower. This gets compounded if you're in the midst of action and everything is shaking. It makes it rather hard to actually land an accurate shot. By the end of one White Geth Gold, I had the medal for 5 headshots. Now I'm not the best shooter in the world, but it seemed rather telling to me.

It also bugs me that some classes combos are clearly far superior to others. The Krogans are almost useless at the higher levels due to their inherent ability to die the only way they're effective - through melee. Other things too - why would you pick a human infiltrator against the geth if you have a quarian or salarian? Hell, even a geth one is better because they can move quicker! I can see them nerfing gold difficulty along the line to make the other classes more viable. As it stands, you need to be a de-facto set-up otherwise you make it harder for yourself than necessary. Sure, maybe some classes are too powerful, but nerfing them still leaves those weaker combos weak.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 15-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.

By the end of one White Geth Gold, I had the medal for 5 headshots. Now I'm not the best shooter in the world, but it seemed rather telling to me.
    Yeah, if you're not hitting Bronze for headshots in the first one or two rounds, you're doing something wrong. That said, Valiant > Black Widow > Viper > Widow > Kishock > Mantis.

As for Krogan melee (and, vicariously, all vanguards and sentinels), I'm not sure even game designers can balance bringing a knife to a gunfight.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'm a bit confused - are you saying the Mantis, the starter 'bolt-action' sniper rifle is worse than the Viper, or have you got the names mixed up? I know that seems a tad facetious, but I struggle to think why of all the semi-auto rifles, anyone would think that was good. I forget the name of the Salarian one, the one that's basically a slow firing assault rifle, but I'm led to believe that's alright for what it is. Othewise, I won't argue with you over the weapon order. I'm having a blast with the Valiant.

As for the melee, well they need to do *something*. I don't know if it's a case of boosting shields or what. Korgans specced for it will do a significant amount of damage at melee and have decent shields, but you can't go running off battering things away because you'll just get picked off and killed in gold. I don't envy their task.

I'm a bit confused - are you saying the Mantis, the starter 'bolt-action' sniper rifle is worse than the Viper, or have you got the names mixed up? I know that seems a tad facetious, but I struggle to think why of all the semi-auto rifles, anyone would think that was good. I forget the name of the Salarian one, the one that's basically a slow firing assault rifle, but I'm led to believe that's alright for what it is. Othewise, I won't argue with you over the weapon order. I'm having a blast with the Valiant.
    Because semi-auto > bolt action. Viper is a poor man's Valiant. A lot of fights aren't about pure punch but about sending bullets downrange.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

True, to an extent, but you still need weapons with a good punch. The Viper handles like crap - I'd much rather take the Mantis if given the choice. Of course, you'll be hard pressed to pry the Valiant out of my hands now.