Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar

"Mature" Language in games... does it enhance the experience *EXPLICIT*

Was playing the beta for an upcoming RPG today. I like the setting, the design. Looks to be fun.

Then I talk to the first character I meet. He says "Ex-fucking-zactly" after a few other "fucks" thrown out.

In this game and in most others I've played that are peppered with supposedly mature language, "fuck" seems disproportionately used and pretty much breaks the experience.

I reached a point in my life where I deliberately turned to puritan values, so others may not hold my distaste. But I wonder, is it just me that's turned off?

When I was 3 years old, I thought the word "poo" was like the greatest thing on earth. When I heard it I laughed. When I said it I felt like the height of wit. When I was a teenager, I think saying "fuck" a lot made me feel like an adult. When I was an adult, people who said it a lot seemed like teenagers to me.

There's a trend in PG-13 movies, especially comedies, to include "fuck" at least one time. Usually it's meant to be shockingly funny, like a wink. We're playing with the rules. The rest of the movie doesn't have that word, but one joke will. It won't be used again since that would break the PG-13 rating. But the feeling to me is that the films' creators are winking at the audience, saying, "we'd like to use this word a whole bunch of times, and we know you realllllly like it and want to hear it, so we're doing the best we can for you. Here, have one, enjoy!"

Is that what's happening in games? Is there any real reason to plop the word "fuck" down in the word "exactly?" I know it's a fantasy setting, but do people do that - straight faced - in real life without sounding like total tools? If not, if the dialogue isn't believable, then why do it?

My suspicion is that it is some sort of market testing gone awry. The word "fuck" must test well. Games ought to have a 13% percentage of "fuck" in them to please male audiences from the age of 14 to 23.

So tell me true, forum-crawlers. Do you prefer, actually prefer "mature" language of this sort, or do you just put up with it?

Banned
    I think it can be a good way to establish a character or a setting, but it's often massively overused.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    I think it can be a good way to establish a character or a setting, but it's often massively overused.
    Establish a setting.... *Narrator voice* "In a worrrrld where people say 'fuck'..."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I hate vulgar use of language in games,i mean use it when its appropriate,not every other sentence.. I mean who the heck speak like that in real life o.O

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I hate vulgar use of language in games,i mean use it when its appropriate,not every other sentence.. I mean who the heck speak like that in real life o.O
    US marines. Then again, they are basically trained to put themselves into situations where that sorta language is appropiate...

I don't like it in competitive games though. It feels weird in BF3 to complain about people calling each other "cocksucker" on chat when one of the random shouts is "Those cocksuckers are fucking me up!"

It's fine, except when it's terribly juvenile, as in BF3. Then it's just stupid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think it works in some scenarios. For example, House of the Dead: Overkill highlights that it can be marvellous. If a fuck is written well, it will work. If it's just done because because then yeah, it sucks.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    It's all in how it's used. Honestly, if you're in a warzone, people are being shot to pieces all around you, and you're not cursing I have to wonder what's wrong with you. At the same time, it can certainly be overused and excessive. At it's best it's a way to establish character, situation, and atmosphere. At its worst it sounds like a 10 year old that just learned those words wrote the script.

Swearing has its place.

Though it usually doesn't make things more mature.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 25-02-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Is it the Risen 2 beta?

I've been playing The Darkness 2 these days and there's one scene where the use of harsh language hit me like a ton of bricks. A great moment and one of the best uses of swearwords in games. It made me boil with anger and hate - and the payoff was really good later in the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Bulletstorm is the best example of constructive use of excessive mature language.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I think it works in some scenarios. For example, House of the Dead: Overkill highlights that it can be marvellous. If a fuck is written well, it will work. If it's just done because because then yeah, it sucks.
    Which one was the marvellous part?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    All of it? It's so over-used, so absurd, that it goes from being bad to amazing. Are you seriously telling me "Grab your gun, not your dick!" isn't at the very least a bit funny?