Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

FPS's and action games with good 2 player co-op?

Due to both having an unusually bad work schedule this semester, my co-op partner and I have been looking for something a bit less thinky than our usual fare for those nights when we're both too exhausted to think clearly. The ideal candidate for this kind of thing tends to be a co-op FPS, but we've only got a couple of those so it's probably time to expand our selection of options.

Stuff along this line that we've played and enjoyed:

Borderlands
    L4D 1 and 2 (up to the point where the bot stupidity becomes too frustrating to bear)
    Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood (wish there were more co-op maps, this one's just great)
    Serious Sam HD 1 & 2
    Sanctum (though there's actually some real strategizing in this one)

Probably others, but I'm coming up blank. Co-op campaigns are a real plus here. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by vinraith; 29-02-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Serious Sams?
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Serious Sams?
    Added to the list, I knew I was forgetting some. That's a fantastic suggestion, but we've played those a fair bit as well. Probably ought to go back, though, as I don't think we finished them.

Looking at your updated list, you seem to be missing Serious Sam 3 so I'm still going to suggest that. Fun, mad, action-filled co-op fun with not much thinking involved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Well when people talk about FPS coop games,usually first thing that comes to my mind is,tactical squad games.

Original Ghost Recon with both expansion packs.
    GRAW 1 & GRAW 2
    Rainbow Six:Rogue Spear & Raven Shield
    Swat 4

OGR have countless unofficial expansion packs,with countless great mods to keep you two up for a long time.

Looking at your updated list, you seem to be missing Serious Sam 3 so I'm still going to suggest that. Fun, mad, action-filled co-op fun with not much thinking involved.
    I'd totally forgotten there was a third one. Thanks!

How was 2, for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Well when people talk about FPS coop games,usually first thing that comes to my mind is,tactical squad games.

Original Ghost Recon with both expansion packs.
    GRAW 1 & GRAW 2
    Rainbow Six:Rogue Spear & Raven Shield
    Swat 4

OGR have countless unofficial expansion packs,with countless great mods to keep you two up for a long time.
    Yeah, OGR is awesome. I've not played it co-op in ages, but played a ton of single player back in the day. I'll have to dig it out and see if my associate can get past the dated graphics. We've played a bit of Raven Shield, but should play more. SWAT 4 is a very good thought.
    Last edited by vinraith; 27-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    How was 2, for that matter?
    I've not played it myself but the general consensus seems to be that it's the weakest entry of the series.

I've not played it myself but the general consensus seems to be that it's the weakest entry of the series.
    No reason not to skip it then, I gather, and go straight to 3? I'll stick that one on the wishlist...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not an FPS, but you'd do well to check out Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Also, might be worth giving something like Synergy a go. HL2 coop mod - you can either do the campaign, or some custom-made levels.

For a variety of reasons, bot stupidity isn't too infuriating in Payday either. Both because you can happily play without them, and they don't screw you over so.

No reason not to skip it then, I gather, and go straight to 3? I'll stick that one on the wishlist...
    Yeah, might as well go straight to 3 for now and leave 2 for the time when you really want more Serious Sam but have completed everything else already.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Not an FPS, but you'd do well to check out Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
    Not on the list because it doesn't exactly fit, but it's one of my favorite co-op games of all time. I dearly hope they make a sequel, as we played it to death!

Also, might be worth giving something like Synergy a go. HL2 coop mod - you can either do the campaign, or some custom-made levels.
    Is it actually stable? How is it balanced? I've played through HL2 a few times SP (and quite like it) but it'd be new to my co-op partner (who played it a bit, but never got much of anywhere beyond dicking around with the physics engine).

Wasn't there also a co-op mod for Doom 3? Did I imagine that happening?

Edit: And I've heard good things about SR3's co-op offerings.
    Last edited by SMiD; 27-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Lots of people hate Splinter Cell Conviction, but the co-op campaign is great fun. Coordinating simultaneous takedowns and stuff feels really good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    No matter what you think of the series, Fear 3 has a really, really fun coop mode. And yes there is a Doom 3 coop mod that works wonderfully.

Might as well try Arma/OpFlash if you can enjoy them too. Splinter Cell Conviction doesn't really fit, but it can be really fun 2 player...Resident Evil 5 works too.

Both Rainbow 6: Vegas games are both giving a go as well.

For quality co-op shooty that's down from the top, twin-stickery stylee there's always...
    Lara Croft: GoL
    Alien Swarm (free)
    Renegade Ops
    Alien Breed: Impact/Assault/Descent

All except the AB's have full coop campaigns. The ABs have custom-for-coop missions, 3 a-piece about 30 - 60mins a throw each, depending on the players.

For 3rd person/over the shoulder stuff you can't go far wrong with Resident Evil 5.

Decent FPS co-op that isn't L4D? Um.. Bulletstorm? Maybe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Is it actually stable? How is it balanced? I've played through HL2 a few times SP (and quite like it) but it'd be new to my co-op partner (who played it a bit, but never got much of anywhere beyond dicking around with the physics engine).
    Reasonably so. You probably will see a crash or two, and certainly a few things don't work quite like they should but in general the game works pretty well. It even works on an auto-save and load system these days if everybody dies.
    (picking back up where you left off is something of a pain though - you have to go to the relevant map - no biggy, but don't quit mid-map, and respawn your gear (where it differs from the default for that map) by cheats.) I only ever really played the custom maps in it mind, not bothering with the core campaign myself - although Ep2 lended itself well to a small gang.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    Renegade Ops
    I'll back that up. Big, dumb, explodey goodness. Works a lot better with co-ordination, so if you have that, you'll be onto a real winner.