Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I have a question about AI. I've been playing around with Genesis after reading a nice write-up on a blog, and I quite like what I've seen. What concerns me is the emphasis on battling the AI. Is there any hope that the game will include single-player maps (outside of the campaign) that focus, perhaps exclusively, on achieving victory in other ways?

I'm thinking specifically along the lines of what existed for Disciples and Disciple II, which featured victory conditions like "Clear a specific ruin" and "Capture a specific city," and were mostly structured to facilitate that. I would've been happy had there been no enemy AI at all, since they were inevitably just a nuisance to me.

I know that many people want strong AI to stomp on, but I've always been more enthralled with the RPG side of strategy-RPG hybrids.
    We're actually thinking of what we can do with this as well :)

Hi guys!

We're finally starting to send out keys for the second beta participants. I wanted to let you know that we're still accepting sign-ups in case you're interested. Here's how you can do it.

It's quite simple really and there are no any specific requirements. Hope to see you there :)

Obscure Node
    Is there going to be any major change between this and Eador: Genesis? I've been playing that a lot and I feel there's a few issues with the way gameplay flows especially towards lategame.

Quote Originally Posted by Personoic View Post
    Is there going to be any major change between this and Eador: Genesis? I've been playing that a lot and I feel there's a few issues with the way gameplay flows especially towards lategame.
    Yes, we're working to make the game feel less monotonous in its late stages.

Hi guys. The game can now be pre-ordered on Steam. If you pre-order now, you also get the original game, Eador. Genesis, for free :)

I can't believe this has come around so fast, 6pm tonight! Can't wait :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm sort-of wavering on this - I've avoided Genesis because I suspect it's a BIT old-school for me to play it long enough but the new game is just a BIT more expensive than I'll usually throw at strategy games...

I'm waiting for feedback from peoples!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBBagE View Post
    I can't believe this has come around so fast, 6pm tonight! Can't wait :)
    The GOG version appears to be out already - just FYI - it's also SLIGHTLY cheaper thanks to the exchange rate doodah perhaps.

The GOG version is ~€15.24 and the Steam version is €18.99.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'm sort-of wavering on this - I've avoided Genesis because I suspect it's a BIT old-school for me to play it long enough but the new game is just a BIT more expensive than I'll usually throw at strategy games...

I'm waiting for feedback from peoples!
    The game is great, better than Warlock/King's Bounty/Elemental. I cannot say if on-par with MoM, Dom3 and FFH2 because it takes time to decide, but it's definitely a pick.

Think I'll need to wait for TB's WTF since I'm really not sure if this is something I'd love, or something I'd want to love.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    The game is great, better than Warlock/King's Bounty/Elemental. I cannot say if on-par with MoM, Dom3 and FFH2 because it takes time to decide, but it's definitely a pick.
    I got on quite well with Warlock but it was a BIT too trigger-happy for me, it was almost an action game.

KB is probably my benchmark for this stuff - I missed the old HOMMs entirely so my experience was HOMMV which I didn't get on with - and DOM3 is about 8 miles over my head :)

I also missed MOM originally and it's jsut a BIT too hard to get into now IMO - I should try harder perhaps

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Think I'll need to wait for TB's WTF since I'm really not sure if this is something I'd love, or something I'd want to love.
    If the game is actively supported then the latter will be fine - if it's not, you need the former perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    KB is probably my benchmark for this stuff - I missed the old HOMMs entirely so my experience was HOMMV which I didn't get on with - and DOM3 is about 8 miles over my head :)
    This has the upper hand over KB because of the campaign. I didn't like the wandering knight stuff, this is scenario-based and requires map control, unit investigation and exploration.

I also missed MOM originally and it's just a BIT too hard to get into now IMO - I should try harder perhaps
    I did too but I forced myself to play for some time and you can discern all the gears behind the obsolete UX.

I got on quite well with Warlock but it was a BIT too trigger-happy for me, it was almost an action game.
    I was a betatester for that. They never intended to be more than it. It's a good gateway game for 4X stuff, light on economics and strong in player interaction.

I'll probably get it on GoG sometime this weekend, I'd just like a couple of reviews first to justify my impulse buying!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    The one and only review on GOG suggests it's buggy and incomplete, can anyone confirm or deny that's the case?

Also, is it strictly campaign based, or is there sandbox/large maps where it feels more 4x than story-driven? I tend to get turned off by the mighty wizards must find the crystals to fix a broken realm shenanigans that a lot of the campaigns of these games tend to go for.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    The one and only review on GOG suggests it's buggy and incomplete, can anyone confirm or deny that's the case?

Also, is it strictly campaign based, or is there sandbox/large maps where it feels more 4x than story-driven? I tend to get turned off by the mighty wizards must find the crystals to fix a broken realm shenanigans that a lot of the campaigns of these games tend to go for.
    4x. You have different shards (maps) to fight for, and every map is like a HOMM-like scenario on 'roids. The more shards you control the better bonuses you get for the rest, some will give extra magic or lower costs and the campaign finishes when you control all of them. Imagine DoW Soulstorm's campaign but with 4X instead of RTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    The discussions on GoG's forum do seem to suggest the game was rushed for release, although I'd still like to see more opinions about that. Ah well, looks like I should probably suppress my impulse this time, at least for a while.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232050...2320153326293/

Rushed and Incomplete - Buyer Beware
    First let me say that Eador: Genesis (the prequel to this game) was a great game and I had very high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, the developer decided to rush it out and release it incomplete, even though there was no Publisher putting pressure on them to do so.

The last Beta for this game just started 3-4 days ago, and there were 20+ pages full of bugs found in just that short time. And I don't mean small things like "text isn't aligned properly" but many major, game-breaking bugs. And this was just what was found in a few days. Some of these bugs are probably fixed in the release version, but MANY of them definately are not, and that isn't even including all the bugs they beta testers didn't find in 3 days. PLENTY of
    beta testers, myself included, posted on their forums telling them that they needed to postpone release because the game wasn't ready, asking them to please take the time to make this game what it could be with some polish, but unfortunately as is so often the case, instead the game was just thrown together with whatever was currently compiled for release.

Add to that major features are missing from this game, including Multiplayer and Hotseat. Hotseat is completely missing, and Multiplayer is 90% missing (they threw in a half-done "combat-only" multiplayer but no strategic multiplayer).

My recommendation: play Eador: Genesis if you can find it very cheap for 1-2 months if you really want a strategy game to play, then come back in a few months and see if the developers have patched this game into a release-worthy state, because right now it is not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They were still talking about BETA changes until last week so I'm guessing they just stuck to their release date and hoped people wouldn't complain too much - which I suspect may bite them on the arse.

Update: A lot of people are saying that

a - it still a bit buggy and beta
    b - there's no multiplayer (which would be grounds for a Steam refund as it claims to have it)
    c - graphics aside, it's Eador Genesis which seems to have disappointed a few people who wanted more!?

I think I'll hang-fire - I might even just pickup Genesis - it's staggeringly cheap!
    Last edited by trjp; 19-04-2013 at 10:39 PM.