Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Eador. Masters of the Broken World - discussion

Hey, RPS folks!

I'm part of Snowbird Games team (formerly known as Snowberry Connection) which is now producing a hardcore TBS called Eador. Masters of the Broken World. You can check out RPS preview based on last yearís gamescom presentation if you havenít seen it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...world-preview/.

As we're approaching final stage of the development I was curious if you'd like to know more details about the game. Based on the article's comments there should be at least some of you who might be interested :) I may also share some new screenshots with you. So yes, if you have any questions, please ask. I'll do my best to keep you covered!

Oh my, that looks pretty. Are those hexagons? Count me in then.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Oh my, that looks pretty. Are those hexagons? Count me in then.
    They sure are :)

Here's a new screen:

snap_ss_01016.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Define "hardcore" in this context, and the games this one is inspired by. It'll help deciding whether to try it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Define "hardcore" in this context, and the games this one is inspired by. It'll help deciding whether to try it or not.
    The game's inspired by many strategy titles including Master of Magic (mainly), Warlords, Civilization series and even Europe Universalis. Surprisingly this combination works very well :)

As for "hardcore" part Eador includes ridiculous amount of possible ways to achieve your goals. All the different combinations of your heroes, armies and building can dramatically change your game. And it's quite unforgiving to player who once went wrong in his tactics and strategy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I'm definitely interested. Is it a story-based campaign, or a sandbox like Civilization, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I'm definitely interested. Is it a story-based campaign, or a sandbox like Civilization, or both?
    It's both. The campaign is story-based, all your actions lead to something that can change the world on very different scales and the player constantly has to make decisions. Once you choose which shard to explore, its land generates randomly.

Banned
    I am throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening.

You have to insert it into the floppy drive. I did that and it didn't get spat out again so now I am just waiting for my copy of the game to arrive

Edit: if you do not have a floppy drive you might have to wait for retail. suckers!

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Oh man. This looks incredibly promising. I especially love the random events, like civilian uprisings, that occur outside of battle.

Are the major resources for building, upgrading, recruiting, etc crystal and gold only?
    Roughly how many creature types are there?
    Will you be releasing a demo? And how are you distributing the final product?
    Any chance of multiplayer?
    steam

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Oh man. This looks incredibly promising. I especially love the random events, like civilian uprisings, that occur outside of battle.

Are the major resources for building, upgrading, recruiting, etc crystal and gold only?
    Roughly how many creature types are there?
    Will you be releasing a demo? And how are you distributing the final product?
    Any chance of multiplayer?
    Ok, so there's gold that is used for hiring units, building and for these random events (like paying off orcs who attacked you when you're not ready). And there're crystals which is mainly spent on magic: rituals (used at strategic map), spells and summons. So different heroes (Mage or Commander) naturally rely on different strategies but also because of resources they use. I should also note that any unit in your army requires his wage and it differentiates from his rank and experience. I'll say again that it's very important to plan your strategy ahead at the earliest stage of the game :)

There are about 70 units you can hire and they are divided into four ranks by their basic stats. In every rank there're "good" and "bad" units (their karma), ranged and close-ranged ones, those who rely on magic etc.

We're planning to launch a beta at Steam so of course it's going to be available there. We'll go retail in a few countries too but Steam is our main platform.

There will be multiplayer and it's going to be strategic map and tactical battles-only without astral level. Simply because it would become overly complicated.

And a couple more screenshots :)

snap_ss_01019.jpg snap_ss_01018.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Imperium; 29-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Astral? What's that then? Your post contains the first mention of it...
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    Astral? What's that then? Your post contains the first mention of it...
    Yeah sorry, my bad.
    The game consists of three layers: astral (where you choose the shard to go to), strategic map and tactical battles.

It looks like this:

snap_ss_01010.jpg

Hey! Just wanted to update this thread with a bunch of new screenshots.

The previously mentioned astral map now has some pretty meteors flying around and the shards' atmosphere can now be seen.

astral_meteors.jpg

I've not posted tactical battles screens yet here so here are some. We changed the visuals a bit for units and landscapes (swamps particularly). Let me know what you think of these :)

snap_ss_01046.jpg snap_ss_01043.jpg

This looks pretty amazing.

How does it compare to Fall From Heaven 2 (Civ IV mod)? That with proper tactical battles would be damn near my dream game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    This looks pretty amazing.

How does it compare to Fall From Heaven 2 (Civ IV mod)? That with proper tactical battles would be damn near my dream game.
    I actually played the first Fall From Heaven only. Is it much different from the second one?

Banned
    Fall From Heaven 2 is like 400000% better than the first. If, by the first, you mean the one integrated into BtS.

A metric shit tonne of extra factions, any of which you can play, custom maps, and a LOT of modmods on top. Never mind an expansion of EVERYTHING about the game.

Offer preorders, plx?

Well I haven't played the first one so I don't know whether these bits are new but the important parts for me were.

1) Some factions having really clever mechanics like a faction that can only produce a limited number of super cities.
    2) Possible to win, in theory, using diplomacy
    3) Magic can be used to affect the world as well as purely in combat. So you can change deserts into plains or bless armies.
    4) Super strong barbarian factions that provide a constant challenge even during peaceful times.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Offer preorders, plx?
    Sure thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Well I haven't played the first one so I don't know whether these bits are new but the important parts for me were.

1) Some factions having really clever mechanics like a faction that can only produce a limited number of super cities.
    2) Possible to win, in theory, using diplomacy
    3) Magic can be used to affect the world as well as purely in combat. So you can change deserts into plains or bless armies.
    4) Super strong barbarian factions that provide a constant challenge even during peaceful times.
    Yeah, I read some articles and the interview about the mod and it does sound a lot like Eador in many ways, at least in description.

As for some specific points you mentioned the player surely can win by using diplomacy for the most part. There’s even a separate option (of many others) for this type of finale. Landscapes on strategic map can be changed during the game too. Not by magic but by events - for example if you refused some demon’s offer the nearest lands would be instantly affected and become deserted and so on. We’re figuring out how to implement this in the best way.

Obscure Node
    This sounds like a really promising game. Best of luck to you. I'll definitely pick up the demo when it's out.