Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Why so much introspection? A huge number of people read Nuts magazine ffs. All this is for them.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    So while games remain mostly shallow, throwaway experiences, I have no problem with them being sexed-up.
    Grace and Anna from Planescape: Torment respectively agree and disagree with this point. IIRC Torment's entire design brief disagrees with you strongly. Not that I disagree with you, I think it's fairly likely.

EDIT: Most of the female cast of Bloodlines too. Tricky. I've never actually seen anyone slate Torment or Bloodlines for it. Perhaps the game comes across as self-aware enough to get away with it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's tough with fantasy style games, as it can be argued that's part of the aesthetic. It's unrealistic for her to be wearing something that slutty, but then one of the other characters is a talking skull.

Plus Annah is very much meant to be something of a flirt and she's not a front-line fighter either.

Bloodlines again... well Bloodlines is very much a story that's driven by sex and seduction, so over-emphasising those elements graphically sort of works.

Notable that Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit didn't go down that path at all as they're meant to be in a more realistic setting.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Notable that Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit didn't go down that path at all as they're meant to be in a more realistic setting.
    Were we playing the same game? They both had very gratuitous sexualisation. Not significantly greater sexualisation than a typical straight-to-TV splatter horror movie, but they're firmly at the "not grown up" end of the spectrum anyway. It wasn't omnipresent (i.e. one of the characters wasn't wearing a swimsuit throughout the game) but I wouldn't hold them up of examples of games that demonstrate that games can escape the cycle of imagery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxtrasi View Post
    Were we playing the same game? They both had very gratuitous sexualisation. Not significantly greater sexualisation than a typical straight-to-TV splatter horror movie, but they're firmly at the "not grown up" end of the spectrum anyway. It wasn't omnipresent (i.e. one of the characters wasn't wearing a swimsuit throughout the game) but I wouldn't hold them up of examples of games that demonstrate that games can escape the cycle of imagery.
    I've not got far through Heavy Rain, but yes Fahrenheit had sex in it, but it was sex that served the purpose of characterisation. Even if the zombie-sex scene was a total failure in that aspect. I didn't find it particularly gratuitous. And the rest of the plot was more 'grown up'.