Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have contributed to No Time to Explain and Octodad, and currently have a Kickstarter campaign going for my game 'Spike: A Love Story Too'. I plan to write a post-analysis of the experience, hopefully about succeeding, but even if my project fails it's been a very crazy ride I'd like to share.
    One thing I'll say right now is that I was inspired to do a Kickstarter by No Time to Explain and Octodad, cute weird little games looking for their audience. When Tim Schafer's thing exploded, I was simply scared -- while I'm of course stoked about what he's doing, I didn't feel that his high profile project was really going to share the spotlight with anybody. I breathed a sigh of relief when his Kickstarter ended, but of course that very same day 'Wasteland 2' went up, ha ha.
    Things in these last days have really picked-up, based on what I thought was an insane choice of what I should be sharing about my game plans to entice a potential contributor. But the gambit worked, and I may actually pull this off. We'll see!

Network Hub
    Wasteland 2 (of course) and Hadean Lands!

I will do anything to support the man who made Spider & Web.

Banned
    Mecha Galaxy - Mech MMO-kind of thing. No idea about the gameplay, will update later once I've played it a bit.
    Saturday Morning RPG - Episodic RPG.
    Tempus Chronicle - Episodic RPG released EVERY TUESDAY.

"Loc" - "Hi, my name is cleavage cleavage cleavage."
    Last edited by R-F; 22-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Obscure Node
    Takedown - it's the relaunched codename of the "hardcore tactical shooter" from Christian Allen. Very cool concept art up there now and what promises to be a very good video due to feature on the Kickstarter page later today.

There has been nothing else like this project in the videogame market since Swat 4, so it deserves to be a success. Fingers crossed. More info in the developer's forums here.

I've also supported the Wasteland 2 and Takedown Kickstarters, there's not been a good CQB tactical game since SWAT 4 so I'm hoping it hits its target.

And...

Heroes of Forevia a game inspired by arcade action rpgs like Gauntlet Legends.

The Banner Saga a beautiful looking, story-driven, turn-based strategy... it's got Vikings!

Seperately, I've also donated to http://hover-bike.com/index.html because HOLY FUCKSOCKS IT'S A HOVERBIKE!

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matzerath View Post
    I have contributed to No Time to Explain and Octodad, and currently have a Kickstarter campaign going for my game 'Spike: A Love Story Too'. I plan to write a post-analysis of the experience, hopefully about succeeding, but even if my project fails it's been a very crazy ride I'd like to share.
    One thing I'll say right now is that I was inspired to do a Kickstarter by No Time to Explain and Octodad, cute weird little games looking for their audience. When Tim Schafer's thing exploded, I was simply scared -- while I'm of course stoked about what he's doing, I didn't feel that his high profile project was really going to share the spotlight with anybody. I breathed a sigh of relief when his Kickstarter ended, but of course that very same day 'Wasteland 2' went up, ha ha.
    Things in these last days have really picked-up, based on what I thought was an insane choice of what I should be sharing about my game plans to entice a potential contributor. But the gambit worked, and I may actually pull this off. We'll see!
    Hey, well, congratulations on meeting goal!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...love-story-too

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Hey, well, congratulations on meeting goal!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...love-story-too
    Thank you! I'm just now feeling 42 days of stress finally lift.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    GNILLEY!!!!!!1111oneoneonehundredandone
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-yelling-game
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

So, this is my first post here, avid reader of RPS there, I feel bad for talking about a Kickstarter project for my first post, but this one really got me excited.

The Dead Linger, this is a Survival FPS with a randomly generated 25,000kmē world with lots of interaction with the world. This may be the zombie game we've all ever wanted. They don't have much things up yet, but they said they're trying to get gameplay vids up before the kickstarter ends. Also, this is an alpha funding project, so you'll be able to play from alpha stage to final stage, just like minecraft. Alpha is planned for June of this year.
    The developers have a game on steam, DETOUR, so they're not random people making their first game ever. (I guess).
    Note that if this does not get funded, the game will still be developped, but at a slower rate.

tl;dr: "Put all your hypothetical zombie survival plans to the test."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-dead-linger

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Not to say anything against this project in particular, but the zombie game I most want right now is the last zombie game ever. Kinda tired of dead this and zombie that.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Not to say anything against this project in particular, but the zombie game I most want right now is the last zombie game ever. Kinda tired of dead this and zombie that.
    When there's no more room on the shelves, zombie games will shrink in worth.

(Is this thing on?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgerlolz View Post
    tl;dr: "Put all your hypothetical zombie survival plans to the test."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-dead-linger
    That looks interesting, but $25 for a copy of the game is a wee bit too high for me to pledge to a developer I didn't know existed previously. I'll wait for the release and consider purchasing it then.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm thinking of chipping in on The Dead Linger because it sounds like it could be a first person version of Project Zomboid, which is awesome. I don't personally own or play many zombie games, personally, so my personal zombie game tolerance is quite high at the moment, and if they deliver what they say they can then I imagine it'll be great. I don't know if I'll donate to the tune of $25, though.

Another kick I helped start was Takedown, I'd been playing Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 the week before I heard of it (which was 5 days before it ended) and had to donate whether I wanted that particular game or not; I kind of felt the future of proper tactical shooters as a genre hinged on it's success. Had it failed, it would've been a pretty big decentive (if that's the opposite of incentive) for other devs looking to make such a game. Fortunately it does sound promising, I just hope they make it fairly easy to mod just in case they screw it up and promptly go under... At least then the community would be able to fix it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One thing I like about the Wasteland Kickstarter - it's now concluded and the game is up for pre-order. For $20. That's $5 more than the basic pledge, and the price will go up again on release apparently. So there is an actual benefit to taking the 'risk' and backing it, rather than just waiting.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    TB just put out a video to spotlight his choices of the current Kickstarter projects:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Ben Kuchera weighs in.

I'm inclined to agree: People are hitting the marks for what they're asking, but that doesn't mean we'll get games out of it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    I became a Kickstarter user due to Pebble, the e-ink Bluetooth watch. Since it had already exceeded its funding goal by 30x, I wasn't really supporting the idea coming to fruition, though. Effectively just preordering the device at a discount.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ne-and-android

Kickstarter is truly making its way in the industry...

Well, it was pretty much inevitable that someone would try to use Kickstarter in a scam and here's contestant number one: Mythic: the Story of Gods and Men.

Points of evidence (Internet Detective-ing not mine, but from some nice young men at Something Awful):
    - God character art is from here, just with a sepia filter applied.
    - Backgrounds are from here and here.
    - Poster consists of this icon on top of this texture.
    - Their sword reward pictures are from here.
    - The reward tier text and values are copied wholesale from The Banner Saga's kickstarter, with just a game name search & replace.
    - Their office photos are just crops from the Burton Design Group.

Suspicious but not conclusive skeezyness:
    - They're "the same team that left Activision / Blizzard in search of something better!" and apprently worked on Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft (2009-2011), which isn't very likely.
    - "Animations will be done via motion capture thanks to some friends at Disney/Pixar!", also not very likely.

This attempt was really too amateurish to actually succeed, although the project still got $5k in pledges. Not bad for the few hours worth of effort it seems to have involved. Much more interesting are the questions raised for when someone competent does the same successfully, which seems pretty inevitable, and the consequences for Kickstarter as a concept for when it happens.

Kickstarter does take 5% from any successfully funded project as I recall. I'm very curious as to what its legal obligations will be if a funded project turns out to not actually exist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Hasn't this been reported yet? A scam is a scam.

EDIT: I just did it. Hopefully reddit or others will get awareness of this and it'll be taken down.

EDIT: Forwarded to reddit for visibility
    Last edited by pakoito; 28-04-2012 at 10:28 PM.