Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Do you own the original? If so, then it's technically not a new game, just a new version. It's essentially the same if you had said "I want to play this again, back into the backlog, you." Had you subscribed to the school of NNVFAY, you'd be screwed.

Also, I resemble your implication that I am seedier folks.
    Well I DO own BG 1 and 2 (w/ expansions, twice over, each) so you make a valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    That, my friend, is an easy solution.

It does not have to be a purchase! Oh no. No no. However, if you were to drop - maybe lose - some money, not much, just a little bit... and someone would pick it up, you know, with the best of intentions of giving it back to you without going on a boozing cruise... and, let's say, they would accidentally, a misclick really, purchase said game.... and, not having any money to give you back, really, all they could do is trade in the game for your forgiveness. Hardly any boozing either.

How does that sound?
    Aha! The "gifting" loophole. Brilliant. And yes, boozing is implied somewhere in there.

With the remake, getting Jim Cummings would be ace.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

i dont know what the heck this guys are thinking announcing bg for ipad before pc, but here you go:

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012...on-for-ipad-3/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I think it's because a PC version is a given.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I think it's because a PC version is a given.
    And they announced it last week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Please tell me it'll have a button to pick up all the loot in the area.
    And more autosaves.
    And sort the savegames in order of recentness(er..)
    And have an instant quicksave.
    And autocast healing spells when you rest.
    And you'll be able to right-click on spells and abilities in the toolbar to get a description.
    And they'll re-jig the character panels so you can actually see all the important information and it isn't all hidden in a small scrolling box.
    And it'll tell you WHY you can't equip some items.
    And there'll be a way to get thieves to automatically go back to searching for traps when the combat ends.
    And there'll be sortable quests.
    And there'll be some way to compare the effectiveness of weapons for the character.

and it'll generally be less annoying.
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 23-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Please tell me it'll have a button to pick up all the loot in the area.
    And more autosaves.
    And sort the savegames in order of recentness(er..)
    And have an instant quicksave.
    And autocast healing spells when you rest.
    And you'll be able to right-click on spells and abilities in the toolbar to get a description.
    And they'll re-jig the character panels so you can actually see all the important information and it isn't all hidden in a small scrolling box.
    And it'll tell you WHY you can't equip some items.
    And there'll be a way to get thieves to automatically go back to searching for traps when the combat ends.
    And there'll be sortable quests.
    And there'll be some way to compare the effectiveness of weapons for the character.

and it'll generally be less annoying.
    Yes. And there will be a huge yellow exclamation mark for quest givers.

Quote Originally Posted by simast View Post
    Just hope they don't forget to add plenty of knee-high cover for 'em archers to shoot from.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Most of the things on NotBen's list are either sensible ideas or things that were do-able in BG2 anyway. I'd argue that determining the relative effectiveness of weapons is the player's job and is possible given the information provided in the game, but that's all.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by simast View Post
    Why would you want that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Most of the things on NotBen's list are either sensible ideas or things that were do-able in BG2 anyway. I'd argue that determining the relative effectiveness of weapons is the player's job and is possible given the information provided in the game, but that's all.
    It might be possible with the information provided in the MANUAL, but it isn't possible with the info in the game, unless you know the system off by heart. Eg: My warrior has 2 stars in Long blade proficiency, but one star in spiked weapons and one in Bows. He has a Strength of 16 and a Dex of 17. What's going to be more effective, a 1D6 damage long blade, a 1D10 damage spiked mace, or a 1D8 damage bow?
    If i had a printer maybe i could print out all the tables that came at the back of the PDF manual and try and work it out... but if it simply listed Chance to Hit and Base Damage in brackets after each weapon's stats then that'd save all that paperwork.
    You know, with PCs being better at repeated maths than people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you equip the weapon then the character info screen will tell you what you thac0 is with that weapon and how many attacks per round you get. That screen also tells you your damage bonus for melee weapons. I can't remember if the damage bonus for weapon proficiencies is included in that screen or not.

Having said that, the character info screen definitely needs tidying up, and there's no reason why a weapon's info screen shouldn't tell you the thac0, attacks per round, and modified damage that the current character would get using that weapon. I suppose you can get the computer to calculate dps for you for each enemy AC, but that would be going too far in my opinion.

Also the new version should come with a comprehensive in-game manual, searchable and hyperlinked. I think ToEE had something like this. That would be a big improvement in these manual-free days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you equip the weapon then the character info screen will tell you what you thac0 is with that weapon and how many attacks per round you get. That screen also tells you your damage bonus for melee weapons. I can't remember if the damage bonus for weapon proficiencies is included in that screen or not.

Having said that, the character info screen definitely needs tidying up, and there's no reason why a weapon's info screen shouldn't tell you the thac0, attacks per round, and modified damage that the current character would get using that weapon. I suppose you can get the computer to calculate dps for you for each enemy AC, but that would be going too far in my opinion.

Also the new version should come with a comprehensive in-game manual, searchable and hyperlinked. I think ToEE had something like this. That would be a big improvement in these manual-free days.
    Really? I shall investigate when I get home.
    My post was slightly driven by a frustrating session of BG1 this morning where I felt that 90% of my time was spent saving, loading, sleeping, healing, saving and clicking on 30 gnoll bodies to pick up 3gp from each one.
    That and not understanding weapon proficiencies and not having a proper paper manual.

At least I've finally worked out the 'Q' key - if i hadn't done that then I'd have quit in frustration ages ago.

I agree that calculating DPS for each enemy would be overkill.

One thing I would like would be if the tooltips that popup over enemies told you basic information about their health.
    Eg: Hobgoblin: Badly wounded.

Unless I'm missing an obvious thing, it's hard to know if that ogre I'm whacking is about to die, or basically shrugging off all the damage and so I should run away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wouldn't bother looting for a couple of gold personally, but then I am lazy. Basically, all RPGs need an auto-pickup gold feature.

In BG2 the tooltips over enemies do exactly that. If possible I'd strongly recommend getting BG2 and installing the mod that ports BG1 into the BG2 engine. It's much better.

Edit: when it comes to proficiencies, having no points and trying to use a weapon will be very bad. Each level of proficiency above 1 does a little bit but not as much as the first point. In BG2 you can pretty much stop at 3, can't remember if it's different in BG1.
    Last edited by NathanH; 23-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Really? I shall investigate when I get home.
    Unless I'm missing an obvious thing, it's hard to know if that ogre I'm whacking is about to die, or basically shrugging off all the damage and so I should run away.
    Enable the combat roll calculations in the options menu (I forget what it's actually called, but you'll find it). It'll constantly show all calculations made for hits, misses, damage and even immunity in the black bar below the screen. That way you can tell if you're not doing any damage at all, and you'll see why it is/isn't the case.

EDIT: oh BG1, sorry. I don't remember if it has the same option. This does work in BG2 tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wouldn't bother looting for a couple of gold personally, but then I am lazy. Basically, all RPGs need an auto-pickup gold feature.

In BG2 the tooltips over enemies do exactly that. If possible I'd strongly recommend getting BG2 and installing the mod that ports BG1 into the BG2 engine. It's much better.

Edit: when it comes to proficiencies, having no points and trying to use a weapon will be very bad. Each level of proficiency above 1 does a little bit but not as much as the first point. In BG2 you can pretty much stop at 3, can't remember if it's different in BG1.
    Hmm. Interesting. And you were right about it updating the THACO and attacks in the tiny little scrolling information box where no-one would think to look for it. that's actually very useful to know.

I did try the BG1->BG2 mod but it wouldn't accept my pair of games for some reason. Now i'm into a BG1 game with a modded engine, so I bet it would mess up the save games to try and implement the BG2 engine now... but it does sound like if they port it to BG2 it'll fix a lot of issues.

Clicking on everyone to pick up 2gp might be a waste of time, but I don't know if they'll have something more interesting... and i don't know if i'll need the money.

It's interesting how unforgining this game is these days if you play for the first time.... my entire party just got murdered by a vampire wolf - with no particular warning and without any way to escape. I'm forced to quicksave every 20 seconds, and any time i forget i inevitably get killed and have to go back and replay a long stretch.

If you have the gamersgate version that's why it didn't accept your games. I think they are missing a file to work with Baldur's Gate Tutu or Trilogy Mods BillButNotBen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    There's new info about the Enhanced Edition (from RPGWatch):

The countdown on the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition site has finished and Beamdog/Overhaul has revealed pricing and availability, as well as PC preorders. The game will be released on PC, iPad and Mac on September 18th (Android TBA). Pricing varies - which will annoy some fans - $19.99 fo PC (10% discount for preorders) and $9.99 on iPad, for example. New player voices and portraits are available on iPad via in-app purchases and they appear to be included on PC, which might explain the pricing.New content has also been revealed and 400 miscellaneous improvements are claimed, though we still don't have real screenshots (some widescreen shots are on the site but with no UI). From the PC section:

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    for Windows contains the following enhancements:

• New Adventure: The Black Pits
    • New Character: Dorn Il-Khan
    • New Character: Neera the Wild Mage
    • New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
    • A new collection of player character voice sets
    • Native support for high resolution widescreen displays
    • Over 400 improvements to the original game
    • Improved multiplayer support, with connectivity between all platforms

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    for Windows will be available as a direct download from Beamdog, with no client install necessary. Pre-purchasing will allow you to preload the game, so you can access it immediately after release.
    I must say $20 is more than what I thought it would be priced at. I also thought it would be better looking, though I do not know exactly why I thought that.

Last edited by Fumarole; 29-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Umm.. Why remake the game if they don't enhance it more than that? I seriously expected it to be in proper 3D. The old game is still very much playable, just played BG1 a few months ago. Why invest in this?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Network Hub
    What is this blurry crap? It looks like they applied a 2xsai filter to BG's backgrounds. It looks way worse than the original sharp backgrounds. Ever incompetent, ever fools!

If I want an enhanced BG1 I'll just run it in GemRB, which is free and open source and runs on Linux.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    The added cross-platform multiplayer, btw. https://twitter.com/TrentOster/statu...03408062078977

#bgee will have co-op multiplayer and will work across platforms. iPad can play with Android, Mac and PC. On happy gaming family:-)