Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Essentially, everything they are doing can be done by mods, and they expect to get paid 20 bucks? good luck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Essentially, everything they are doing can be done by mods, and they expect to get paid 20 bucks? good luck.
    Well fiddling with mods is not something everyone is willing to go through, so that's a selling point. Same game, all goodies. Whoever already squeezed the life out of it won't be surprised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Do you refuse to buy DLC, expansions, and possibly sequels on that basis as well?

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Well fiddling with mods is not something everyone is willing to go through, so that's a selling point. Same game, all goodies. Whoever already squeezed the life out of it won't be surprised.
    I'm willing to, but having everything in one installer, plus the prospect of future content for one of the best RPGs is a good enough reason for me to buy it. Although 20$ is a bit much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I paid 40$ for the Forgotten Realms complete edition (ID, NWN, BG) not so long ago, so I'll figure something out with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Do you refuse to buy DLC, expansions, and possibly sequels on that basis as well?
    No, but they don't usually ask half the full price of a new game for those, especially not when they are for a game that's almost 15 years old.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    If someone could post a description of what mods you would use to do what they have been done, it would be appreciated.

If not, I may just go ahead and buy this...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Except the iPad version, which could end up blasphemously compelling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    If someone could post a description of what mods you would use to do what they have been done, it would be appreciated.

If not, I may just go ahead and buy this...
    read this
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/baldurs_...from_gog/page1
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/baldurs_...ial_mods/page1
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/baldurs_...ders_gui/page1

and
    tutu or trilogy: makes BG1 run on BG2 engine, implements classes from BG2 expanding the available options.
    Widescreen mod: does whatever widescreen mod does
    unfinished business mods: renables cut content. quite a lot of it
    Fixes: lots of fixes for both games, from typos to major bugs
    npc mods: adds npcs. quality varies but there is quite a lot of them so you can choose anyone you want to
    additional stuff: like potion making, new quests

PC version of BG:EE offers only new cinematic and sort off improvement for the ground texture. nothing else in my opinion.

the ipad version makes my mouth water. I dont have ipad but if i did that would not be a brainer for me. what a great idea.

Network Hub
    $20 for an improved version seems a bit much indeed, especially since you can (as others have pointed out) get most of the improvements for free thanks to the modding community. The whole project looks much more interesting from the perspective of mobile devices though, and I somehow suspect that was the main focus of Beamdog from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Except the iPad version, which could end up blasphemously compelling.
    Oh, yeah. I bet the iPad version will sell very well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    PC version of BG:EE offers only new cinematic and sort off improvement for the ground texture. nothing else in my opinion.
    Well it offers new characters and dungeons. Now, there are mods that do that, but a large percentage of them are shit. This lot might be to, but given the people involved I think they have a better chance of fitting in and seeming like part of the world. But that's a wait-and-see thing.

Also while it seems steep, remember that GOG are selling the original for $10 already. This is an independent release, so it's only $10 on top of that. Doesn't help if you already own the thing, and one could argue that GOG are over-charging on the original games anyway, but pricing an updated, enhanced edition at the same price as the download of the old version would have devalued it. So it was going to be at least $15 anyway.

Network Hub
    Personally I don't think $20 is too much for something I'm going to really, really enjoy again. Plus installing all those mods can be a right bloody pain in the arse...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Personally I don't think $20 is too much for something I'm going to really, really enjoy again. Plus installing all those mods can be a right bloody pain in the arse...
    Yup, especially when after having done all that work you'll frequently find the end result too unstable to play. I'm unwilling to buy something attached to Beamdog, but if this comes to GOG I'd happily pony up $20 for a copy of BG that "just works." That's assuming the new additions don't damage the game, of course.
    Last edited by vinraith; 31-07-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I'm not adverse to this (I like the idea of remakes/updates), but I'll wait for the reviews tbh.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'm not adverse to this (I like the idea of remakes/updates), but I'll wait for the reviews tbh.
    I am snuggly tucked away in this boat as well. I really want to see exactly what this EE has over a fully modded BG1/BG2.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    No, but they don't usually ask half the full price of a new game for those, especially not when they are for a game that's almost 15 years old.
    Everything in Skyrim could be done with Oblivion mods. Hell, Morrowind mods too (near the launch of Oblivion there was a MWSE mod that made combat less RNG based). So I sure hope you refused to buy either of those.

Personally, I view this as being similar to JA: BIA. On the one hand, I don't need it. I already have the game and it is in a format I love. But for a good sale price, I'll grab it. If only because it would be nice for the weapons added in BG2 to actually be in BG1 (Tutu doesn't do that).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Everything in Skyrim could be done with Oblivion mods. Hell, Morrowind mods too (near the launch of Oblivion there was a MWSE mod that made combat less RNG based). So I sure hope you refused to buy either of those.
    seriously? you compare modded oblivion to vanilla skyrim?
    there is no comparison mate. skyrim offers so much more than any modification of oblivion (whether its good or bad its up to you to decide). new map, new quests, new lore, new voices, new mechanics.... and so on.

i think 20 bucks is a bit high. not very tough. I just don't see myself buying it at this price if i have both BG games installed and providing the same experience as BG:EE...
    hopefully it is successful and we will get BG2:EE which then can be combined into one game just like old games. If I replay BG sometimes in the future i might get those version.

Right now, i don't see a reason. Maybe reviews shed a bit more light on the game, making me change my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Personally, I view this as being similar to JA: BIA. On the one hand, I don't need it. I already have the game and it is in a format I love. But for a good sale price, I'll grab it. If only because it would be nice for the weapons added in BG2 to actually be in BG1 (Tutu doesn't do that).
    Well it's not. JA:BiA was almost 100% new assets since it actually is on a new 3D engine.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    seriously? you compare modded oblivion to vanilla skyrim?
    there is no comparison mate. skyrim offers so much more than any modification of oblivion (whether its good or bad its up to you to decide). new map, new quests, new lore, new voices, new mechanics.... and so on.
    New map, quests, lores, and voices: Mods CAN do that
    New mechanics: The biggest new mechanic in Skyrim appears to be dual wielding. Oblivion had mods for that. The ones I am aware of basically just re-meshed a shield, but combine that with a script that fires whenever you block... Or did you have something different in mind?

See, that's the thing: Whenever you make an argument like "I can get all of that with mods", you better have something else as your real reason, otherwise it kind of falls apart.

Also, for the record: I love Skyrim, was so-so on Oblivion, still play Morrowind every so often. Daggerfall, Arena, Redguard, and Battlespire did not age well.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.