Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

New Life for Baldur's Gate?

A friend of mine just sent me a link to a Kotaku article about some signs of life on the Baldur's Gate front. http://www.baldursgate.com/ is playing the original game's theme song on a loop, and messages are appearing in the source code. The guy writing the article suspects that an iOS port of BG is in the works, but I wonder about that.

My personal pipe dream scenario is a new Baldur's Gate game written by Obsidian and coded by Bioware. Utterly impossible, but a remake might be in the works. What does the board think/hope for/dread?

The BG games are some of my favourite games ever, but sadly I don't think that another game would be a good thing. The BG trilogy (ToB) had a satisfying ending, there is nowhere left to go in that particular story. Likewise, an isometric game with illustrated backgrounds doesn't tend to age as much, graphically, as other games. You can play them today and they are still fantastic, unlike other classics which haven't aged as well (XCOM, Deus Ex etc). So I think a remake would be kind of a waste of time. I'd love for Obsidian to make an isometric RPG using some version of the infinity engine, perhaps via the mooted kickstarter. But as far as Baldur's Gate goes, that story has ended, any future games would just be trying to cash in on the name.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I forgot just how good that music is. So sayeth the wise Fumarole.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    But as far as Baldur's Gate goes, that story has ended, any future games would just be trying to cash in on the name.
    Oh there's definitely a way to carry on the series if you know anything about the D&D cosmology. Baldur's Gate 3 in the outer planes? Yes please. Perhaps you could visit Sigil.

Obscure Node
    But as far as Baldur's Gate goes, that story has ended, any future games would just be trying to cash in on the name.
    Funny you mention that; before Interplay went under they were going to pull something like that. See, they lost the right to make anymore DnD games when something happened to Atari, but they still had the rights to Baldur's Gate. So they started BG3: The Black Hound, which had nothing to do with the trilogy games. The leaked info is pretty sparse, but it could have been interesting. Sadly, Interplay gave the Black Isle folks the boot, so that went the way of Van Buren. One of the devs was working on it as a NWN2 mod, but I believe that project quietly went away too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Oh there's definitely a way to carry on the series if you know anything about the D&D cosmology. Baldur's Gate 3 in the outer planes? Yes please. Perhaps you could visit Sigil.
    To me it would feel like flogging a dead horse. The end of BG1 gave a sense of scale, that what happened in the game was part of a much larger story. ToB wraps up the story for every major character in the game. The greatly varying player epilogues very much close the saga, not to mention it would be very hard to accomodate all the endings in a sequel, so some retconning would be virtually guranteed.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    an isometric game with illustrated backgrounds doesn't tend to age as much, graphically, as other games.
    Shame the same can't be said about the gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Shame the same can't be said about the gameplay.
    Yeah. It needs to be made into a first person shooter.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Yeah. It needs to be made into a first person shooter.
    One of my friends suggested a TES style first-person RPG...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To me it would feel like flogging a dead horse. The end of BG1 gave a sense of scale, that what happened in the game was part of a much larger story. ToB wraps up the story for every major character in the game. The greatly varying player epilogues very much close the saga, not to mention it would be very hard to accomodate all the endings in a sequel, so some retconning would be virtually guranteed.
    Why would those characters appear in a sequel anyway? Your character wouldn't be on Toril any more because they would have ascended (it'll have to assume that ending of course) to the outer planes where gods live. Your character wouldn't be anywhere near the material planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Watashiwa View Post
    One of my friends suggested a TES style first-person RPG...
    Kill them quietly in their sleep.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Wouldn't have to be a direct sequel to the previous two. You could set it sometime after the events of the originals, and have a new adventure in familiar territory; hell, with modern technology you could combine the areas of the two games into one giant area. You could interact with some of the descendants of the original characters, and the story could be influenced by the actions in the first two (they would either choose one ending or combine them all). The child of Baal could even be the antagonist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I am all happy about a new Baldur's Gate game, as long as we're done with the gods and focus back on the mundane, which was much more fun.

Sadly, it's probably going to be "epic". Why does it always have to be epic? Preemptively being sad.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Banned
    Heroic Six D&D game, plx.

Aren't there any DnD world/shard/realm/setting/things that haven't been CRPGed yet?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    A prequel where you play as your adoptive father and kidnapped/rescued your character.

That would be ace.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think many of the important people from BG2 don't work at Bioware any more, so if they could be collected together...

I'm not sure it would be a particularly good fit for Obsidian. I guess NWN2 wasn't all that bad though. As long as I can play dress-up with my whole party and there isn't an excess of choice'n'consequence...

Is this a new life? Is this just a fantasy RPG?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    Aren't there any DnD world/shard/realm/setting/things that haven't been CRPGed yet?
    Ravenloft?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Seems a bit weird to me.

There's been, what, three rulesets since BG2? I believe 5th is in the works, and on top of that you've got a lot of changes to the FR setting. Chances are a BG3 would have little to no links to the first two games.