Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    ToB wraps up the story for every major character in the game. The greatly varying player epilogues very much close the saga, not to mention it would be very hard to accomodate all the endings in a sequel, so some retconning would be virtually guranteed.
    Yeah, it would be pretty difficult to get out of Throne of Baal's ending. What about the loose ending of BG2 with the circle of mages huddled around the table babbling on about how "The child of Baal has become too powerful, he must be stopped!"

We never heard from those guys again. :/
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 29-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wasn't there something some weeks ago about an entry for the series showing up on Steam? Then some speculation it might be an HD edition?

I can see some sort of tweaked version happening (widescreen mod and TuTu bundled and cleaned up basically).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Is this a new life? Is this just a fantasy RPG?
    Farming dragon-hide
    Need some points in dexterity...

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    The same can't be said about the gameplay.
    Fixed that for you. Because the gameplay hasn't aged AT ALL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Yeah, it would be pretty difficult to get out of Throne of Baal's ending. What about the loose ending of BG2 with the circle of mages huddled around the table babbling on about how "The child of Baal has become too powerful, he must be stopped!"

We never heard from those guys again. :/
    Weren't those Balthasar's monks?

Anyway, I'm torn between the excitement for a revival of the series and the anti-defilement stance that immediately kicks in whenever there is talk of remaking a venerable series like Baldur's Gate.

But until more information (developer, platform, etc.) is available I'll remain skeptical.

Banned
    There's already a Baldur's Gate 3 and 4. Why would we need another?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    They're spin-off titles.

Unless you're just TUHROLLIN'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    'Cause those aren't really that good, have completely different gameplay, and do not have much to do with the story (Except that they are set in Baldur's Gate).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I can see something set in the Forgotten Realms around the Sword Coast or Amn/Tethyr after the Bhaalspawn wars could work. Picking which of the three endings may complicate matters...

Anyway new adventurer, 6 fully usable characters, isometric. Could be a good idea...

Just for the love of god don't use 4th Edition. Not that they've really supported the Realms much in 4ed, everyone still uses 2ed/3ed for the background.

Though what I really want to see is a game like Baldur's Gate again. One where you go from level 1 to maybe level 8 or so. Rather than starting out and going all the way to EPIC KING OF KILL EVERYTHING in one game. Especially as that is always jarring in trilogies. KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age all had to find ways to bump you back down to level 1 each iteration or to work out how to scale up bad guys or just force you to be a new character.

<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

This part right here in the page's source has my eyebrow raised. If it were a true BG3, would they really go back and dust off IE? We all know that it was capable of showing off some (still) beautiful artwork, but the path-finding was atrocious. I'm also curious to find out who has licensing for this engine anymore.

And it certainly would be possible to continue on the BG1/2/ToB saga just as Wizardry mentioned. But my money is on a port or remake of some sort rather than a new title, although my heart wishes for the latter.

Oh, and it better not be another Dark Alliance. What a waste.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

iOS port, for your iPads and whatever else, is what I'm reckoning.

The Skull image is from the original games, as is the Alaundo quote, and the NPC images used as a background on the page... all of which makes me think this is going to be to do with the original games, and not about a new one (they'd likely have teased some new art/assets if they were making a new game). Also Silver moon waxing/waning == Current Apple Logo.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Ravenloft?
    No. Strahd's Posession and Stone Prophet.

Forgotten Realms? Plenty. Planescape? Torment. Greyhawk? ToEE. Dragonlance? Krynn trilogy. Dark Sun? Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager. Spelljammer? Pirates of Realmspace. Mystara? Order of the Griffon. Birthright? Gorgon's Alliance (strategy, not CRPG). Eberron? DDO.

Most have been covered. Even Al-Qadim had a Zelda like action adventure game.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 29-02-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Even Eberron got a game (DDO) and that's a terrible setting.

If this is an iOS port I will be deeply disappointed. Still with the mod community, I'm not even sure we need a high-res version. The sprites may not be the best, but the hand-painted backgrounds still hold up with widescreen mod.

I wouldn't mind seeing the game updated to 3rd edition, or 3.5 , it's a decent ruleset and would justify another playthrough.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing the game updated to 3rd edition, or 3.5 , it's a decent ruleset and would justify another playthrough.
    No thanks. 3/3.5 produced terrible RTwP games. The Neverwinter Nights games had much worse combat than the Infinity Engine games. 3/3.5 produced good turn-based games, so unless they switch to turn-based then I'd prefer they stick to AD&D.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    No thanks. 3/3.5 produced terrible RTwP games. The Neverwinter Nights games had much worse combat than the Infinity Engine games. 3/3.5 produced good turn-based games, so unless they switch to turn-based then I'd prefer they stick to AD&D.
    How 'bout fourth edition?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    How 'bout fourth edition?
    Why would you want a fourth edition video game? The great thing about computers is that it does the number crunching for you. This means the rule complexity can be increased massively. Why opt for a streamlined system in this case?

Banned
    See, there's the thing. 4th Edition is basically a computer game but in P&P form.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    See, there's the thing. 4th Edition is basically a computer game but in P&P form.
    Yeah. And that shows just how far CRPGs have fallen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    My feeling is that the main problem with 3rd edition CRPGs is that once you get the big buffs like stoneskin on fighters then the whole system breaks horribly. I thought IWD2 was pretty good for the first few levels. The goblin attack on the town was definitely the most fun I've had playing D&D at level 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    My feeling is that the main problem with 3rd edition CRPGs is that once you get the big buffs like stoneskin on fighters then the whole system breaks horribly. I thought IWD2 was pretty good for the first few levels. The goblin attack on the town was definitely the most fun I've had playing D&D at level 2.
    Yeah, that was pretty fun, until you got sent out of town afterwards for hours and hours of orc killing.