Thread: Mobile site?

Mobile site?

When I'm training (actually, while recovering in-between sets) I often have a few minutes to spend checking twitter and of course I follow RPS there. It would be nice to have a mobile version of the site like the one Ars Technica has. The full fledged version works, but takes a lot of time to load on cheap smartphones like the one I have.

What do you think?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Opera mini, i could use RPS on a crappy old nokia symbian handset as long as I used only 1 tab and opera mini.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

that requires installing extra software though, so purely from a "lazy punter" perspective, I'd prefer a mobile site as well ;)
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Thanks for the suggestion Heliocentric. I'm not really big on installing Opera Mini, I'd have to pass all my web traffic through Opera's servers and we're being tracked enough already :|

BTW the slowness is something speficic to RPS, I don't usually have troubles with most sites I visit.

Activated Node
    While Opera Mini does a good job, a mobile site designed for mobiles would be much nicer. Opera Mini can't change the UI to be better for mobile sites. The Ars Technica one and Kotaku one (yes, I know) work really well. One reason is that you can't scroll to the side, thus keeping focus on the article.

You could try the Steam app.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Could try this link of RPS formatted for mobile by Google

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Or just use an RSS reader and the RPS RSS feed?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I had to uninstall google reader because of space constraints.

Network Hub
    I definitely support the idea of a mobile version of this site. As for RSS readers, I suppose that they get the job done, but if I remember correctly, they don't show comments, and they definitely don't allow for functionality such as the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    they definitely don't allow for functionality such as the forum.
    True, although making a forum for mobiles is a different and complimentary task. It may actually be easier, not sure, but I think there are ready-made add-ons to turn vBulletin boards into mobile sites. One other vBulletin board I am regular on has done it, but it got them several tries before everything worked alright.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I also wish to vote for a mobile (responsive design) version for smartphones. But that would involve a total redesign of the site theme, which i guess will take a while.

The RSS feed doesn't show full posts (or comments) so you still have to click through to the main site.

In the meantime, if people want a recommendation and are on Android - try NewsRob. It's a great RSS news reader, but the main advantage is that it'll download full articles for you - and has options to use mobilizer type sites like google (above), instapaper or readability.
    It's not perfect for things like commenting, but if you're mainly browsing then it'll make the experience much more fun until they get a responsive theme implemented.

(PS/ i can do that for you RPS if you want... no charge except in biscuits).

Bump for justice - my retarded smartphone isn't smart enough to handle all those ads and stuff on the RPS and the RSS channels are only showing excerpts so I'd love to see a mobile version of this site. With mobile version of ads of course. And stuff.

Traitorous dogs should be grateful that the hivemind in its infinite benevolence graciously allows the site to be viewed from non-PC platforms at all!

//posted from Windows Phone

I've actually been playing with the idea of creating a mobile web proxy for a few of my favourite websites that don't support mobile devices. The idea being that each time the proxy was hit it would request the page from the downstream site, format the text nicely, strip all the images and replace them with the link and the alt text of the image (So ads with alt text would still be displayed and RPS would get credit for page impressions.)

Obviously I would only support read only mode for comments and the forums wouldn't be supported.

I'm curious to know what people would think about this?

At this point I really don't understand why larger sites don't support mobile devices. There are many, many VBulletin and Wordpress mobile themes. Either it's arrogance and sites just don't care about what their readers want or laziness.