Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar

This Just In: Gamers are Troglodytes

Not that anyone should be surprised. What's notable is how out of touch they are with greater society that they'd defend their idiocy.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    There's really nothing to even say about that, is there? I read it, shake my head, I'm surprised to find I had any faith in humanity left to kill but now it's dead, so I move on.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    There's really nothing to even say about that, is there? I read it, shake my head, I'm surprised to find I had any faith in humanity left to kill but now it's dead, so I move on.
    The thing is, it shows up so goddamn often, and spending ten minutes in any multiplayer game will evince a wealth of examples.

Is simply moving on really the best course of action?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Good luck changing attitudes. No, really. If we can't ram it through people's heads that doing 120km/hr in a school zone in driving rain is a bad idea, you've got no hope of stopping racist, sexist or homophobic comments.

Worst line I heard from one of the vids was "I'm going to smell you Miranda." Who would even say that? It's not just sexist in the context of the vid, it's friggin' creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Good luck changing attitudes. No, really. If we can't ram it through people's heads that doing 120km/hr in a school zone in driving rain is a bad idea, you've got no hope of stopping racist, sexist or homophobic comments.

Worst line I heard from one of the vids was "I'm going to smell you Miranda." Who would even say that? It's not just sexist in the context of the vid, it's friggin' creepy.
    This is why we have political correctness and compulsory universal education. Can't change a bigot's mind, but you can collar him long enough to change his son's.

But the sheer gall in saying "this is our subculture; this is what we do. You can't take that away from us." We damn well can.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

It's the easiest.

This made me think of that one article ("A Wretched Hive") from the Sunday Papers in which the author says, "Passivity solves nothing. It actually makes it worse, because it sends out a message that this kind of behaviour is tolerable."

It's been making me think a bit about my own responses to those sorts. I tend to be a quietly-tolerate kind of guy. But I imagine it would feel nice to tell those kinds of people exactly what variety of scum they are.

I don't like the author's solution of banning them all from XBL, PSN, and Steam though. But a massive wave of shunning, positive peer pressure, and withering disapproval would be great to witness. I just don't believe that it'll happen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The thing is, it shows up so goddamn often, and spending ten minutes in any multiplayer game will evince a wealth of examples.

Well, I also stay the hell out of public multiplayer, in part for exactly this reason.

Beyond that I'd like to know what I'm supposed to do, absent any authority over the individuals in question. Most of the options that come to mind (the majority of which involve fire) are illegal and nominally immoral, though they'd certainly be satisfying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm alright with them doing what they want, but there's a hell of a lot of sponsorship logos under those videos aren't there? MadCatz, Twitch, IPL, EVO... that's the problem. If these people want to pay to webcast sexist, awful bollocks then alas, that's their right. When commercial companies are enabling it, that's another problem.

Network Hub
    Not that anyone should be surprised. What's notable is how out of touch they are with greater society that they'd defend their idiocy.
    I don't know about you, but I am ​a subterranean dweller.

Network Hub
    Cue the racist tree.

Really hoping to change these people is pointless, but I encourage to heap plenty of scorn. With time they will stop airing out their disgusting bullshit in public and we will all be happier for it.

Its important that these sort of people understand that this stuff is unacceptable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    What has amazed me most about this entire scenario is not the fact it's happened, but the amount of people defending this general attitude, that it's okay. These apologists are just as bad.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    I don't like the author's solution of banning them all from XBL, PSN, and Steam though.
    I do. Fuck 'em. If they can't play nice they should get their toys taken away. And the companies sponsoring these people and giving them a platform on which to air this behaviour should be held responsible.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As for what you should do when encountering unacceptable comments in game: say something.

Don't get caught in an argument. Don't be rude at all. Just type a one-line "hey, that sexist jive ain't cool, yo" or however it is you care to phrase it. If things get nasty it's best to leave- I don't know about you, but I don't want to be any part of entertaining a bigot.

The point is that there's an accepting atmosphere of this sort of nonsense. You do your small, polite part in dispelling a tiny bit of that permissive atmosphere. The person making stupid remarks at least knows that there are those out there who care enough to speak out, and any other observers who might also be silently uncomfortable are encouraged in the knowledge that they aren't alone.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    As for what you should do when encountering unacceptable comments in game: say something.

Don't get caught in an argument. Don't be rude at all. Just type a one-line "hey, that sexist jive ain't cool, yo" or however it is you care to phrase it. If things get nasty it's best to leave- I don't know about you, but I don't want to be any part of entertaining a bigot.

The point is that there's an accepting atmosphere of this sort of nonsense. You do your small, polite part in dispelling a tiny bit of that permissive atmosphere. The person making stupid remarks at least knows that there are those out there who care enough to speak out, and any other observers who might also be silently uncomfortable are encouraged in the knowledge that they aren't alone.
    I agree that a polite, corrective, response is probably a good course of action. Otherwise it turns into a flame war.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I don't know. I never take anything said in multiplayer games seriously. I've said some awful things myself. Although I'll only attack people if they are doing it to others or myself first.

But I think anything is on the table when it comes to talking shit in a video game. There are places I won't personally go and I do often call people on their shit if they get racist or homophobic or something like that, but I just thought it was kind of assumed that people checked their feelings at the door when playing multiplayer. If someone gives you shit you just give it back. It can even be amusing at times if people are actually witty about it (although I admit that's rare).

That said, I do think this is very different for several reasons: (1) the players actually knew each other and were targeting people personally (which is very different than just talking shit to people you don't know in pub games) (2) it happened as a part of a reality show (which is arguably a "job" type environment, so I actually think law suits could come into effect depending on Capcom's role in sponsoring the event and how much they knew was going on) and (3) they aren't just playing for fun, but rather it's competitive play so everything is a lot more serious (and if there is money involved it does become a "job" type environment again). So I wouldn't defend harassment at all in this instance.

I will, however, defend the right to say what you want (even non-pc comments) while playing a video game for fun.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 01-03-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    I don't like the author's solution of banning them all from XBL, PSN, and Steam though. But a massive wave of shunning, positive peer pressure, and withering disapproval would be great to witness. I just don't believe that it'll happen.
    Then consider this a call to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    but I just thought it was kind of assumed that people checked their feelings at the door when playing multiplayer.
    That's defending an old boy's club in a game they didn't make and don't represent. EA doesn't have a disclaimer on the box: WARNING - May Include Bigotry.

Moreover, I don't even know why I have to say this, but I know a lot of people who love them some dirty, dirty jokes, but somehow certain boundaries simply don't get crossed. We'd go on about lewd sex acts but would never utter the word 'fag,' 'cuz that shit don't fly. How is this not common behavior? Who raised these cretins?

These people claim that they're only joking, but that just reminds me of how Chris Rock had to cut out certain jokes from his act and Dave Chappelle gave up a fifty million dollar contract because they realized that too many people couldn't tell the difference.
    Last edited by Nalano; 01-03-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    EA doesn't have a disclaimer on the box: WARNING - May Include Bigotry.
    Um, yeah, they kind of do. Every single MP game I've ever seen has a "Warning: Experience May Change During Online Play" disclaimer on the rating.

That's defending an old boy's club in a game they didn't make and don't represent.
    Depends. Old Boy's Club always implies some sense of REAL power--or in other words a group of men deliberately creating a certain atmosphere to intimidate and disenfranchise other groups of players. I would say that in this case the professional fighting game community does seem to be an Old Boy's Club in that it is a quasi professional Sport which uses sexism to intimidate, target, and disenfranchise certain participants of the sport. I don't think that's right at all.

However, talking shit in a random pub game of, say, L4D2 isn't an Old Boy's Club mainly because nothing really is at stake.

These people claim that they're only joking, but that just reminds me of how Chris Rock had to cut out certain jokes from his act and Dave Chappelle gave up a fifty million dollar contract because they realized that too many people couldn't tell the difference.
    Well if we catered art to the stupid it would all suck. I don't think anyone should stop telling a funny or clever joke just because stupid people might misinterpret it. That would pretty much rule out all satire since its goal is kind of to get a certain amount of gullible people to fall for it (at least at first).

As to Chappell, I think he just realized that some of his racial humor wasn't as funny or clever or biting as he originally thought (and while I generally like Chappel, some of his stuff on race on the Chappel show was a bit hacky at times--which is part of why he stepped away from season 3 half way through filming it. And if you've ever seen the out takes from season 3 he was right to step away, I think. Some of the sketches were pretty awful).
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 01-03-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    However, talking shit in a random pub game of, say, L4D2 isn't an Old Boy's Club mainly because nothing really is at stake.
    What difference does that make? Your definition was "a group of men deliberately creating a certain atmosphere to intimidate and disenfranchise other groups of players." Pretty sure you can intimidate and disenfranchise people without anything being at stake.
    I mean by that argument, you could say Apartheid would be completely fine provided they didn't stop black people standing for election o.O

Banned
    And then you see a picture of their coach that made these comments, and you realise that it's not about the fighting game community, but about the fact that he's some sorta orthodox priest or some shit:-
    36c6eefc62a28a7d25848840e0a0bbf5.jpg

But, yeah, pro fighting game communities full of misogynistic, socially incompetent retards that hate women because they've never been loved? HOW SHOCKING.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    You wouldn't know that by the way people play that game. Unlucky enough to be killed once as a boomer? You suck, votekick. Get ganged up by Infected and die because your team ignored you? You suck, votekick. Have the misfortune to be Spitter when you're not real good at it? OMG WHY U SPITTER OMFG VOTEKICK. Do anything your team doesn't like? Votekick.