Thread: Comedy

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide

Comedy

Stewart Lee is still doing what he does, season 2 of his Comedy Vehicle is excellent, he's still trying to push the boundaries of comedy- sometimes it doesn't seem to work and sometimes it works better than anyone else in the business can manage :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I really enjoyed this season I have to say, a lot more then last season also(though i have to say his rant on Political correctness/health and Safety is still the best thing i've seen him do) Though i didn't really get the last episode to be honest. It didn't really seem to have any jokes and he took up a whole program with a story that wasn't true at all...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    As far as stand up goes I've seen Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran and Ross Noble live.

Would also like to see the likes of Tim Minchin, Reginald D. Hunter, Dara O'Brien, Stewart Lee, Eddie Izzard and Billy Connolly at some point (some of those are far more likely to happen than others).

I'm on the fence about comedy nights with unknown performers. Every so often I think I should go to more but the quality is just so variable and even if some of them are good it's usually the case I forget their names and they were probably going to remain in obscurity anyway (there was this hilarious Geordie bloke at the student union once whose name I wish I could remember, thought he was far to good to just be gigging in unions).

I also feel bad for the lack of female comics in my list. It's just most of the mainstream ones whose stuff has been on the telly have largely not appealed, with perhaps the exception of Jo Brand and Nina Conti (who impressively manages to pull of being a ventriloquist and not being shite).

I've only just started to appreciate Stewart Lee, after many years of not liking him at all. Watched that charity ep of his new show, and enjoyed it very much.

As for comics seen live, well : Eddie Izzard (in a field), Rich Hall, Brendon Burns, Peter Kay, League of Gentlemen, Sean Hughes, Ben Elton, Mark Lamarr, Paul Tonkinson, Marcus Brigstocke and loads more that I can't remember from student union comedy gigs 10+ years ago.

Would love to see Tim Minchin, Flight of the Conchords and Sean Lock.

Rich Hall is another I've come to appreciate a lot more ever since seeing his stand up on the telly. On panel shows I've always found him a bit of a mixed bag but I watched his Apollo show when it was on over Christams and it was rather wonderful, would definitely like to see him live.

Ed Byrne, Jimmy Carr and Peter Kay are the only ones I've seen live.

Ones I like on telly are probably too numerous to mention, though I find it interesting that I'll often go through this process with a comedian:

1) See a bit of their stand up and be unsure or not like them.
    2) Watch/hear them either in an interview or one of the many comedy panel shows and generally become better disposed toward them.
    3) See their stand up again, sometimes even the same bit I wasn't sure of previously, and very much enjoy it.

There's a few female comedians off've TV that I quite like at the moment, Shappi Khorsandi is good (though perhaps only in smallish doses), I've come to like Jo Brand more and I like what I've seen of Sarah Millican.

There's a lot of comedians I'd like to see live but to narrow it down to a few I'd probably say Reginald D. Hunter, Rich Hall and Kevin Bridges would be the main ones.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I think there has been a slow slide this past decade of newer comedians delivering shows that are very simple and often very mean spirited, probably influenced by recent dumb but successful american comedies. its really turned me off comedy when I see it on the tv lately, but, I would like to thank the OP for posting that video of Stuart Lee and restoring my faith that there are at least some people out there who wont sink to that level.

Off to see Dylan Moran on Saturday, which I'm looking forward to.

Caught Jason Rouse at Download festival just there, which turned from a fairly amusing 'shock comic' affair into an ugly episode which made me think the man genuinely hates women.

Milton Jones is currently my favourite comedian, even if he only does one-liners.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    What the fuck is this shit?

Edit: I presume this account should just be banned, cus this looks fucking weird.

Quote Originally Posted by man-eater chimp View Post
    Milton Jones is currently my favourite comedian, even if he only does one-liners.
    He is very good.

Someone else who's always worth watching is Phil Kay. Shame he's not on much these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

I'm on the fence about comedy nights with unknown performers. Every so often I think I should go to more but the quality is just so variable and even if some of them are good it's usually the case I forget their names and they were probably going to remain in obscurity anyway (there was this hilarious Geordie bloke at the student union once whose name I wish I could remember, thought he was far to good to just be gigging in unions).
    Do go to nights with new acts. The flip side of what you say is that every single act you listed earlier on started out doing those nights. Some can be hit and miss, but it's a matter of finding the good ones. Most of the more expensive nights outside of London are almost entirely professional acts that do it for a living, even if they're not on TV. The student union circuit pays quite well actually. Any of these sort of shows will only have people on who are good. There's a certain amount of subjectivity of course, but they'll all professionals.

Beyond that you have new act/new material shows, smaller shows and open mic nights, all of which can vary a lot more in quality but if you can find one run by someone that knows what they're doing, they'll generally be more hit than miss.

I'm currently running a night in Leamington that's been going in one form or another for over five years now, we used to have Sarah Millican down every other week trying out new stuff before she became ridiculously popular. There's some really exciting stuff out there, and yes a lot of derivative shite, but it's worth looking for. Comedy is one of those mediums that benefits so much from being live.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Comedy is one of those mediums that benefits so much from being live.
    The truth be spoken. Now if only someone could put on a decent night of comedy in York on a regular basis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Trapdoor Comedy have just started a new night in York - looks like some decent acts:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trapdo...47340141996935
    http://www.trapdoor-comedy.co.uk/upcoming-shows

@ Deano2099

I do love that most comics don't forget their roots. There's a good comedy club in Glasgow called The Stand that does comedy nights for a quid (it may have gone up in price now, this was a while back) and every so often you'd have a Frankie Boyle or Bill Bailey turn up unannounced. Never happened to go when this happened but would have just been a bonus, the quality of the acts was usually very good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Aye, we had Russell Howard on a few years back (after he was 'famous' but before it got ridiculous). Handy that he lives down the road.

The thing with comedy is that unannounced spots like that are also really really useful for the acts. Once you reach a certain level of fame, you get a fan-base. And that fan-base will pretty much laugh at anything you do. Hence the likes of Bill Bailey can get a laugh out of pulling a funny face. And while that is lovely for the ego, it's of no use to the artist, as it's hard to tell what stuff is good and what stuff is just getting the laughs because it's you and your fans like you. Doing unannounced spots on other bills levels the playing field somewhat. It's an audience that isn't there to see you and might not even like you that much. So you actually get an honest response.

In other news, saw Bo Burnham tonight and he's doing some really interesting stuff, a lot more of a departure from his YouTube stuff than I expected. Also have Simon Munnery gigging for me in a few weeks which I'm hugely excited about.