Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Nice to see the RPS Tribes community is in full swing. Well done on getting the server organised and paid for; you guys are awesome!

One thing I would suggest is to keep the 'official' events coming, via the Steam notifications. I know there will be people who will join the server most days anyway and that's what it's there for, but events have a focus to them that sees a lot of people join at once.

People see an event pop up on Steam and a server, even an empty one, fills up within minutes. Without events people tend to drift off, and server population dwindles.

At least that's what happened with the TF2 server anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    And sorry to Vadder and... cant remember the other guy there in the Steam chat. I kind of joined the voice chat like a creepy old man hanging about in the background then. Could hear you speaking Dutch so thought I wouldent butt in
    Hehe, we had been in a private room before but figured we might as well sit in that one, in case anybody wanted to join. We are fine with speaking english though, so do not hesitate to say 'Hi'.

Oh, and that was german, by the way, not that it matters all that much. ^^

Am new to the tribes world, but after giving it a try am keen for some rps-y goodness. Steam:spandexamphetameinfuhrer, Tribes:nomenclature

Just added another event for tomorrow at (what I think is) 10pm in the UK. I would schedule it earlier, but I'm selfish and scheduled it at an hour when I can actually play with folks.

Been playing a bit recently, will try and check out the server when I get on tonight. Steam: shaydeeadi, T:A: shaydeeadi.

Looking forward to jumping into a game on Thursday, hopefully. Nickname in TA and on Steam same as my username here. I note that Mumble supports positional audio, which sounds pretty cool - does TA support it?

P.

Network Hub
    I don't think there's a TA plugin for mumble yet.

Quote Originally Posted by evilbobthebob View Post
    I don't think there's a TA plugin for mumble yet.
    There's a fairly good description of how to write plugins here, but I note one step is to use a memory reader called Cheat Engine to read memory location; with an always-online game like T:A, being banned is a danger:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Pluginguide

P.

Obscure Node
    Randomly dropped in yesterday.

Tribes: Jirmack Steam: Jim9137

PS: The flag should be where the flag has to be.

Ive started now as well. Oh dear.

QuantaCat, obviously.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Hi-Rez had better nerf the plasma gun into the ground quick, or else their reputation might seriously take a beating. Last I checked, people were more or less okay with HR, but with the jackal and now the plasma gun, people are steaming. With a F2P game, public opinion can change in the blink of an eye, and HR needs to do some sort of damage control.

Yup, that thing is bananas. Airmails. Airmails EVERYWHERE.

I can sorta kinda imagine HR's internal testers signing off on the Jackal without having tried to airburst with it or even imagined it could be used like that, but the plasma gun's current state is simply unforgivable and it's giving far too much credence to the theory that unlocks are being made OP on purpose to make a quick buck at the expense of the game's long term prospects. I'm surprised it wasn't already hotfixed, to be honest.

Network Hub
    Yeah there's been rather a backlash over it, and with good reason. It clearly wasn't tested enough. Even in the promo video it was clearly too powerful. Personally, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they left the hitbox so large by accident.

I totally agree with the gun being broken. I'm also giving them the benefit of the doubt, but man, seeing people saying they're uninstalling because of the plasma gun and calling HR thieves is going a bit far for me.

Obscure Node
    But they are thieves. They stole my kills and offer my death in return.

Network Hub
    We need to implement a team kill autokick. There was a guy on today who was team killing anyone with the flag so he could cap or something.

Quote Originally Posted by evilbobthebob View Post
    We need to implement a team kill autokick. There was a guy on today who was team killing anyone with the flag so he could cap or something.
    There definitely are ways of kicking people from the server via vote. I'll look up how it is done.

Edit: By the way, how was it possible for him to teamkill? Was friendly fire still activated? I would vote for disabling that asap, it just doesn't make much sense in a game like TA where you need to assist your teammates by clearing their way with explosives.

Edit edit: Looked it up. Open the console and enter "/votekick <playername>" (without the < and > of course) to initiate the vote. People can then vote with F5 and F6 for "yes" and "no".
    Last edited by Squiz; 25-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Obscure Node
    The gibs of their bodies shall pave the way to victory.

Network Hub
    I know how to votekick, but people don't tend to bother voting yes. I suppose if we're going to make the server more "public style" then FF should be off.

I stated why i turned FF on. So we could Deathmatch when there where only 3 of us online.
    I am fine with both, turning it off or having a 2 teamkill autokick. I will change it to whatever people want. Right now i understand no FF at all?
    Just be informed, that it requires a restart of the server what right now appears to work very unsmooth. Apparently everybody has to leave by themselves before the server can be relaunched. Somehow killing the server does not kick the people on it.

Regarding the Plasma Gun.
    I am not so much on the OP bandwagon as everybody else. Yes it is powerfull in duels in the open. Probably indeed more so than the spinfusor. But in bases, to me it appears not much better than grenades or Arx buster.
    Its huge downside is the lack of knockback. You can not Plasma Gun Jump. Given the raiders secondarys are smg and all three of his grenades are pretty useless to accelerate as well (extremely low knockback on cluster, low knockback and the requirement of egocentric on the other two), a plasma gun raider is extremely slow.
    But if his role is not base aggresion (where plasma is not a lot better than grenade launcher/arx buster) then he has to be fast!
    He can not chase, it takes ages to get to an aggressing Jugger and midfielding soldiers and pathfinders can just evade him. What is his role?
    Of course i am not saying that it is not an extremely powerfull weapon and of course a plasma gun raider can be fast, i am just saying it is harder and takes longer to accelerate. And imho, that is a proper downside.
    Yes, if you are a soldier and you decide to engage a plasma raider, it will feel extremely unbalanced. But in many cases, you could just have ignored him and moved on. If the plasma was a primary for the soldier who could still thumper jump, that would be horribly broken, but i do not feel it is too strong on the raider from a CTF team effort point of view. From an arena or duelling point of view: Yes it is horribly broken indeed.