Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Conclusions from the weekend: T:A is impossible to play on widescreen after having played it on a normal monitor. There's just not enough vertical FOV when you're flying around trying to throw a spinfusor people! I have never been so disorientated by a resolution change.

Activated Node
    Heh. Instead of wider view, it becomes more ... flat, i.e. narrow in the vertical plane?

Network Hub
    Yeah it's vert- instead of hor+ widescreen...which is stupid, really.

Activated Node
    Sounds like what I've always believed that they really do when they expand old films from 4:3 to 16:9.
    That's really stupid.
    Have you seen the ini tweaks for Tribes? Maybe that could help you out.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm good now, I'm back at my flat with my normal monitor - I just didn't feel like carting it back home for the weekend, so just took my laptop, and lasted all of about 5 minutes in Tribes wildly looking up and down, trying to follow people flying past.

Might take a look at those tweaks anyway, more FPS is always nice in a speedy game like Tribes! Must say it's pretty well optimised anyway, though.

I killed a man today. With an inventory station. Fire and steel falling from the sky and then ... silence. And a red "10.000" hovering in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I killed a man today. With an inventory station. Fire and steel falling from the sky and then ... silence. And a red "10.000" hovering in the air.
    That happened in our first event on the server as well.
    Just that it killed our own Heavy On Flag who was about to call in another Inventory station. That was the cause of lots of hysterical laugh on Steam Voice.

My last final of my undergraduate education is tomorrow, so don't you guys disappoint me when I finally show up to an event

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    That happened in our first event on the server as well.
    Just that it killed our own Heavy On Flag who was about to call in another Inventory station. That was the cause of lots of hysterical laugh on Steam Voice.
    Hehe, yes. I do it on purpose. Sentinels, watch your back.

Patch apparantly incoming:
    https://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/454

The "Deal of the day" sounds great for scrubs like me.

Network Hub
    A good patch. Disappointed that we're being charged for loadout slots, but then I suppose not everyone will care about them. Hopefully the new maps are good. Best change is definitely the Super Heavy SPLAT sound though...

Quote Originally Posted by Patch Notes
    Fixed a bug in which servers would go offline and require a manual restart after the overall game servers were restarted.
    Hurray \o/

Looks like the daily deal thing is for gold only.
    Well, I have about a grand left so may as well pick up some deals on stuff I want when they happen. May make some things like tech thumper / MIRV launcher seem a bit better value.

What time do people tend to play? I jumped into the server at 10 BST last night and it was empty. Also, are people using Steam for chatting rather than Mumble now?

Cheers,

P.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanclub View Post
    What time do people tend to play?
    Usually I stop by during evenings (8-10pm UTC) if there are people on the server. More often than not this isn't the case so I end up playing CTF on an official server.

Activated Node
    What would help is some kind of tool to check for "potentionally on the server". Or ... "notify if populated". Something along these lines.
    ... Maybe just use the Steam chat.

Thats why i suggested daily events. Not to get people into the game, but to get those already in the game on the server at the same time.
    As it is, i suppose plenty of us check if someone is there, see the 0 and move on. If all those people would join, i would guess it would be enough.
    And yes, Steam Chat is often a good place to say hi, often there are several people there, sometimes even using voice when on the same server. I had a nice round with Kekswal and Gynn the other day in that way.

I just had a few rounds on the public servers and I can't help but wonder if the overall quality of the playerbase got worse in the last few weeks (I haven't had much time to play recently). Playing a Heavy on flag is a dirty job, but playing it on a public server when no one is bothering to defend you? It's just no fun at all.

Network Hub
    Of course the quality has got worse, release has meant an influx of new players. HoF is very painful to play on any maps with open flags (i.e. most)

Quote Originally Posted by MOKKA View Post
    I just had a few rounds on the public servers and I can't help but wonder if the overall quality of the playerbase got worse in the last few weeks (I haven't had much time to play recently). Playing a Heavy on flag is a dirty job, but playing it on a public server when no one is bothering to defend you? It's just no fun at all.
    'Sup, fellow frustrated HoF. I know exactly what you're talking about. I make it a point to never rage in videogames, but I've been real close sometimes. It's this weird combination of being rooted to the spot and utterly helpless at stopping long-range harassment (and thus completely reliant on having your teammates help you out), the high-stakes nature of the job and sometimes downright idiotic teammates that makes the job frustrating beyond words.

As for the quality of players, I'm getting the feeling that it's steadily increased since release, although it's not quite at beta levels yet. I don't see quite as many gen warriors, for one, although it's still a major problem. Here's hoping we'll get ranked play someday soon.