Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    And a third post unrelated to the others

Event? Anyone?

Server owners/managers - this is dependent on you so anytime you guys are free in the next couple of weeks? Maybe play a few different custom rules? Get as many RPSers as possible and also invite friends/random people to fill in the empty spots while trying to get a good crowd.

I would be willing to acquire some(cheap) prizes from steam or maybe somewhere else as giveaways to entice a larger crowd. I wish hi-rez would enable gold/unlock gifts.

If need be I can rent a server for a short period of time.

Also if i find some software that doesn't rape my fps(or maybe lower my settings) I can try to stream or at least record some of it to post highlights here.

thoughts?

I usually play tcn, drop turrets on flag defense and then rampage around wherever I'm needed, so I'm not always on the flag. Nobody tells you to stay at the flag if you show your worth with harassers and upsetting cap routes.

Besides I am never afraid of a confrontation against a heavy with my thumper, everybody is killable and that makes a big difference. Also, if a heavy hides in a nook, throw three grenades in there: guaranteed kill.

yeah those tcn grenades are great. you can time it for a grenade and thumper to hit basically at the same time, wrecking stuff.

RE: Events -- I've been busy with graduation and driving people around like a madman, and I'm going to China in two days. As such, I've enabled the group to let all members (not just admin) post events. Please use this both judiciously and liberally -- coordinate before posting events so we don't have duplicates, but please do your best to decide on regular times to fill the server up.

I've scheduled an event for monday then as, if I remember correctly, that was a rather good day for people's availability.

Who has server admin?

Obscure Node
    Im up for this...joined the group too.

Quote Originally Posted by AuralViolations View Post
    Who has server admin?
    DeVadder has.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Over the last day, I've not been playing well. Despite that, I've been getting decent XP. It's a little confusing, because I've previously had games where I topped the list with 20 kills, but only got 900XP. Then, last night, I lost on Raindance and got 1,400. It's just strange sometimes.

I can only conclude that my frustration led to me trying classes and roles I normally avoid, which netted me new medals for xp.

As for Monday nights, I probably won't be around during UK hours.

According to the Tribes wiki it mainly comes down to how long you spend in the match -

"After each completed match you will be presented with a match summary screen. Your total earned XP for the game will be displayed, and a very brief overview of what contributed to the total.

• Base XP is calculated from your time spent in a match. It's a linear rate.
    • Bonus XP is dependent on your Base XP. Certain variables such as your scoreboard rank and if you won or lost the match will affect how large this bonus can get. Generally it's a value within 0%-50% of the Base XP. (Badges and 'First win of the day' bonuses can inflate the Bonus XP greatly)
    • VIP is 50% of your Base XP and Bonus XP added together.
    • Boost is 150% of your Base XP and Bonus XP added together."

Which is a bit weird, though that said I'm not sure the points it awards really encourages smart play (hence the Super Gen Room Death Match lots of games turn into) so having your score not hold such an influence on your XP isn't as bad as it sounds.

Exactly, you don't need to win at all costs to get some xp!

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
    Exactly, you don't need to win at all costs to get some xp!
    The frustrating thing is that it seems you don't even have to play your class well to get some xp. You just need to earn medals, stay in the game, and have VIP or boost.

I'm not frustrated at the game, really. I just feel a little crestfallen when I've had an incredible round and get mediocre xp for it. But, hey... First Win of the Day is always satisfying.

Obscure Node
    one of the custom site rules for CTF i'd like to suggest is to increase the cost of orbital and tactical strikes
    to something like 20k and 10k respectively.
    i've been playing on /vg/ eu server when RPS one is empty, it has strikes removed completely, and it's
    much more fun to play HoF or just defend in general. occasional strike can be ok though, but it should feel special, not spammy.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperRat View Post
    one of the custom site rules for CTF i'd like to suggest is to increase the cost of orbital and tactical strikes
    to something like 20k and 10k respectively.
    i've been playing on /vg/ eu server when RPS one is empty, it has strikes removed completely, and it's
    much more fun to play HoF or just defend in general. occasional strike can be ok though, but it should feel special, not spammy.
    I'd be all for it, but being a primarily HoF player might make me a bit biased, eh :P.
    Also, my apologies to the people who were waiting on me to figure out the admin controls yesterday evening. I'll try to poke at them when noone's playing and see how it works.

TBH I rarely see Tacticals or Orbitals much on the RPS server. I know its a cancer on pubs but I see our guys spending more of their cash on tanks and bikes then calling in strikes.
    That is unless its and inventory strike, in which case I'm all for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    I'd be all for it, but being a primarily HoF player might make me a bit biased, eh :P.
    Also, my apologies to the people who were waiting on me to figure out the admin controls yesterday evening. I'll try to poke at them when noone's playing and see how it works.
    And? Did you find out where to put the admin pass to actually become admin?

I was sailing over the weekend and i will probably not be around the next one as well, would be really nice if other people could manage the server and i won't be shy to give it to other people as well, i am not sitting on my admin rights in an overly powerhungry way, a sacrifice to my throne every now and then should be enough
    Seriously though, if you are active on the thread and appear reasonably reasonable, pm me and you shall recieve. The only problem is, that if someone abuses admin (assuming the pass does actually work) the only way will be to reset the pass and redistribute it to everyone else while it is not even possible to see who the actual offender was.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Oh no, I can log in all right (for anyone who's curious and has the password, you can click on the padlock icon next to the server name then enter the password, and the server will appear in the "managed servers" list. There's no visible feedback that I can see telling you if you got the password right, so just check).

The problem comes when I try to make it do stuff. The only commands available involve player kicks/bans, map changes and server shutdown, and none of them appear to do anything. It's really quite perplexing. I even tried the console commands to no avail. Could another admin let me know if I'm missing something?

Obscure Node

I was sailing over the weekend and i will probably not be around the next one as well, would be really nice if other people could manage the server and i won't be shy to give it to other people as well, i am not sitting on my admin rights in an overly powerhungry way, a sacrifice to my throne every now and then should be enough
    Seriously though, if you are active on the thread and appear reasonably reasonable, pm me and you shall recieve. The only problem is, that if someone abuses admin (assuming the pass does actually work) the only way will be to reset the pass and redistribute it to everyone else while it is not even possible to see who the actual offender was.
    Could you please change the game mode to ctf or give Antares the privileges to do it (if that is even possible in the tribes server management).

Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    Oh no, I can log in all right (for anyone who's curious and has the password, you can click on the padlock icon next to the server name then enter the password, and the server will appear in the "managed servers" list. There's no visible feedback that I can see telling you if you got the password right, so just check).

The problem comes when I try to make it do stuff. The only commands available involve player kicks/bans, map changes and server shutdown, and none of them appear to do anything. It's really quite perplexing. I even tried the console commands to no avail. Could another admin let me know if I'm missing something?
    It seems many of those commands are still bugged (http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/...st=0&sk=t&sd=a)

EDIT:
    Scratch that with giving Antares more privileges (Super-Admin) as there is no such option yet
    was searching the forums over there and it seems almost every admin and even owner commands are bugged atm
    Last edited by ReAl; 20-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.

To me it seams that all the map related commands only take effect after the current map is finished or the server is rebooted. But it can not be rebooted until all players voluntarily leave it.
    I will change it to the CTF settings mentioned in its description now. Kinda stupid that you can change the maps but not the game type. I can not change what the admins may and may not do, I can only set an admin password.

edit: For now i have left Sunstar out of the rotation because i just hate it so much. It hurts my eyes because it is so bright and i can hardly see disks and plasma projectiles, both of wich i really want to see the trajectory of when playing. Does anybody value it and wants it in the rotation?
    Last edited by DeVadder; 20-05-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Activated Node
    For now i have left Sunstar out of the rotation because i just hate it so much. It hurts my eyes because it is so bright and i can hardly see disks and plasma projectiles, both of wich i really want to see the trajectory of when playing. Does anybody value it and wants it in the rotation?
    It's one of my favorites
    But then again I play on absolute minimal settings so, I didn't even know there where lightning effects on the map (flare overkill I suppose?)...