Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Although it can be slow, wait for daily deals on most items. It can really net you some huge savings. When the high grade stuff (e.g. Thumper, MIRV, X1 LMG, DMB Mines) goes for 60% or more off then you can net yourself some really nice deals.
    Also look out for a few "Maybe I may try that" items when they get 75% off. The Tech Shotgun may seem pointless at first, but if you ever play a Deathmatch or an Arena its a deadly secondary.
    That was my plan but after "graduating" from the nub games I was getting my tech arse kicked without the thumper.
    Will wait for other deals for my gold.
    My XP so far has only gone on other classes as the weapons seem quite expensive this way.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    That was my plan but after "graduating" from the nub games I was getting my tech arse kicked without the thumper.
    Will wait for other deals for my gold.
    My XP so far has only gone on other classes as the weapons seem quite expensive this way.
    Yeah, TCN is rather a pain in the ass without the thumper, it's a shame they made it so expensive (same goes for DMB mines). Don't forget to grab somne perks too, they're cheap enough using XP (~18k) and there's plenty of 'must-have' ones. Bounty Hunter is great for TCN as you'll want credits to upgrade your base assets as quickly as possible.

I've found the Rockwind SMG and quick fuse nades to be pretty much as good as the thumper to be honest, though it does rule out sensors.
    Last edited by NieA7; 04-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    I found the TCN SMG still usefull for flag defence, much easier to damage the capper moving in and out with speed. Also, taking over the DMB spot if he is killed or needs to restock makes it a more usefull weapon. Although, I have to say the thumper is more usefull to clear the generator room and when I go on the offencife from time to time.

both my TCN loadouts feature the thumper, since I don't feel the automatics are much fun (unless I'm chasing, that's why my INF doesn't have the spinfusor). One has short fuse nades and the other the sensors.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    I found the TCN SMG still usefull for flag defence, much easier to damage the capper moving in and out with speed. Also, taking over the DMB spot if he is killed or needs to restock makes it a more usefull weapon. Although, I have to say the thumper is more usefull to clear the generator room and when I go on the offencife from time to time.
    I've been doing this replace-the-dmb thing and I was wondering whether getting that superheavy perk for it wouldn't be beneficial. Tbh for me going from the SMG to the thumper was like going from the guy that repairs stuff and gets a lucky kill now and then to the guy that wipes the floor with any attackers and keeps the base in top shape.

Nah, don't use super heavy with TCN, as you aren't durable enough to stand on the flag; cappers will just avoid you or shoot you out of the way. The advantage of having superheavy as a heavy is you don't get bounced around as much, and as an inf is they can't see where you are so they can't shoot you.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    I've been doing this replace-the-dmb thing and I was wondering whether getting that superheavy perk for it wouldn't be beneficial. Tbh for me going from the SMG to the thumper was like going from the guy that repairs stuff and gets a lucky kill now and then to the guy that wipes the floor with any attackers and keeps the base in top shape.
    On TCN it's not very usefull, as you also need to move around a lot. More weight equals more energy consumption with jetting. I do use it sometimes as a soldier or pathfinder in a defensive position. But then I try to move into the path of the aproaching capper.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Steam version is garbage. I went from steady 60FPS at Very High in vanilla to 20-30 on the Steam version, and sub-10 when tabbing to see the score table. You might try turning off the Steam Overlay but then why not just install the stand-alone version anyway? Without the Overlay there's no difference.
    I never actually ran the Steam version. All I was doing was using the -steam cmd line parameter in the hirez version. It utilizes official steam stuff w/o the install.

Yeah, thats what i did as well.
    A friend of mine apparently had problems using the Steam Vallet that way, i did not test that yet.
    However, Tribes and Smite share a launcher what has caused him some troubles as well after he had uninstalled Tribes and downloaded the Steam version. Apparently that version sometimes, somehow used the HiRez Launcher, that now had no more Tribes to launch. Kinda wierd bug and probably only a problem as Smite is still closed beta (join us in our thread ^^).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Wow, double XP weekend is pretty awesome. Especially when boosted.
    I am currently trying to do secondary HoF with a brute and energy shield which works very well. Only problem is that even pathfinder spinfusors toss you around, so you have to correct your position a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
    Nah, don't use super heavy with TCN, as you aren't durable enough to stand on the flag; cappers will just avoid you or shoot you out of the way. The advantage of having superheavy as a heavy is you don't get bounced around as much, and as an inf is they can't see where you are so they can't shoot you.
    Well true, generally when I'm covering I don't stand on the flag itself, but a bit to the side and try to time grenades/thumper shots with the incoming (if any) cappers. Got some spectacular kills this way

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    On TCN it's not very usefull, as you also need to move around a lot. More weight equals more energy consumption with jetting. I do use it sometimes as a soldier or pathfinder in a defensive position. But then I try to move into the path of the aproaching capper.
    I generally don't have energy problems, unless I'm playing on Crossfire, but there it's a common problem.

Anyway, cheers, point taken.

Tribes: Ascend is having a double XP event through Sunday: http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=2258

It only applies to base XP, but VIP and boosts do stack with it. With all 3 multipliers I think you'd get 6x the base rate. I'm not convinced it makes a boost is a better gold deal than an 88k xp weapon at 75% gold discount though, as you could still (patiently) buy 3 weapons for the 400 gold of a 3 day boost. At 60% off deals, that's 200 each, or 2 weapons, and the boost starts to look more attractive. I'm going to play a couple of days before deciding whether to boost for the remainder of the event.

Good to see new faces! Reminder - join the steam group and be sure to add us all. I am AuralViolations in game. There is a full(ish) list on the steam page.

This is the second double xp event. The last one was amazing and I'd say worth the boost, but getting a 3 day boost might not be worth it. That 6x XP is just so delicious.

clarification: if you play often enough, but a 30 or 90 day boost, it makes a big difference.
    Last edited by AuralViolations; 04-07-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: clarify

Hum... while it may be slightly overkill I could put up a game for Sat as well as Friday to work for the XP weekend. Will be all CTF as Arena is not quite as liked as much (though arena nights may still be put up).

ON THAT SUBJECT: For the people who play them, how are you enjoying our arena nights? Good target practice? Fun with friends? A nice break from CTF? Utterly mindless drudgery? A waste of time? Missing the point of Tribes? Feedback is appreciated.

I've been playing almost only arena the last month or so(before that I hated it and never played). I had a blast today at the arena night.

How do the other modes compare to CTF for earning XP? The event doubling only applies to base-xp, which is purely play-time based, but I may sample the other modes for some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    How do the other modes compare to CTF for earning XP? The event doubling only applies to base-xp, which is purely play-time based, but I may sample the other modes for some variety.
    As far as I know, most modes are roughly the same. You might have the least map loading time in long CTF games, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Anyone having experience with the RDR cluster grenades and dust devil arx buster? Thinking about getting them.
    Most of the cases I play defensively, taking care of infiltrators and midfield heavies and the occasiolnal flag stand clearing when needed. But mostly defensively and only offensive when bored

I've had a ridiculous day off of work. Ridiculous in a good way, assuming T:A progress can be called good. I maxed out pretty much everything that I had in-progress, unlocked PTH's Bolt Launcher & Thrust Pack, maxed both, and generally became a decent light offense/defense player.

All of that means two things:
    1) My Heavy skills are going to suffer even more (hah)
    and
    2) The freelance work that I probably should've been doing instead has not received much attention

But, hey... I can actually hit stuff with the bolt launcher now. That's gotta be worth something. Still can't air mail very well tho, which I'm marginally worse at than blue plating.