Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1170
    Great games tonight!

ATTENTION
    Anyone who wants to play in the 5v5 register on gameshrine now and send me a message here or on steam with your availability and stuff so I can register tomorrow. I will be gone all Friday but back Saturday but would like to have it done before.

Thanks

Couldn't even get on tonight, due to the fullness Queued for bleedin' ages too, but oh well, means the RPShazbotting is going strong!

Also, being that clan tags are now in the game, perhaps we should all prefix our names with the three almighty letters? MAybe then we could appear half organised

Edit: Managed to get in for a game or 3, and good grief permafrost is just...horrible, in my opinion. Whine whine etc etc down with hirez
    Last edited by CWalker; 25-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks for the games tonight gentlemen, that was lots of fun. Really liking the new maps and their respective takes on gen play.

As for the clan tags, I've already seen quite a few people sporting one and just got one for myself. I can attest that it does help us look somewhat ruly and professional, provided you don't get too close and sort of squint your eyes a bit.

While it was a good few matches I'm sorry for the people who couldn't get in at all. Seemed to be almost full when I joined shortly prior to the event starting and it only seemed to get more packed from there-on in. I would venture a guess that at least 50% of the people were just hopping in to whine about the new maps (and whine a couple did).

The good thing is the server did not crash like it did back when DeVadder first set the server up (which was far from his fault). Hopefully this time with the new faces we can keep things rolling rather then constantly tripping over technical bloopers when the game was first released.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    My problem was even worse than normal in a foreign region (RPS server). Here's hoping I get that resolved ASAP. At least it was a nostalgic blast to see Dangerous Crossing again... even if the ravines don't feel nearly as deep as they did in '98.

I don't think I can commit to the 5v5. There's just too much going on in my real life to nail down availability.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-07-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Mh, so my first (very early) thoughts on the patch:

- Temple Ruins facelift seems fine. Time will tell
    - Permafrost seems okay. At least I enjoyed the few rounds on the map
    - Dangerous Crossings is interesting but the base layout is... wonky. I dunno. Too tight, too little space. Also the map is awefull for infiltrators as they regulary get over the 160kph limit and decloak.
    - Stonehenge is the one with the giant "bridge" in the middle, right? Hate that. Dunno why bit it feels like running against a wall over and over again. Also the "bridge" is too hard to get up to imho. Also the turrent placement seems "odd", sometimes turrets can hit you at spots they should not even be able to see you.

- Jackal nerfed. Thank god! That took a while... seems fine now. Still annoying but no longer oneshotting medium.
    - Fractals still a pain in the ass. They seem to be okay now with FF on but as pubs dont do that they still kinda break the game
    - Still thinking carrying more then one grenade should be a perk. Still too spammy. But that might be related to FF off in pubs. On the RPS server with FF on it seemed fine
    - Orbitals still the same shit they have ever been. Maybe FF on would get them in line but for some strange reason HiRez is against FF on even in the "high tier" pub matches.
    - Twinfusors seem fine. HiRez finally managed to include new weapons which do not break the game! Thinking of getting one or all three. Have to try them out in training a bit.

- Still missing stuff to spend credits on. Most likely one of the reasons why long games tend to end in orbital spam
    - Still the odd design decisions like why to give Sentinels and Juggs prettey decent to outright awesome dueling weapons (aka automatics)
    - Still automatics are to prominent and "dominating" in the game for my taste, but that might also be related to stuf like chasing being broken, the odd 72kph jetpack limit etc. They are kinda needed to cover other deficits of the game. I use them myself quiet often but I don't know. It's like bringing a gun to a knife fight...

Still having fun though. It just could be so much better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Some good games last night, but I gues everyone was addapting to the new maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    While it was a good few matches I'm sorry for the people who couldn't get in at all. Seemed to be almost full when I joined shortly prior to the event starting and it only seemed to get more packed from there-on in. I would venture a guess that at least 50% of the people were just hopping in to whine about the new maps (and whine a couple did).

The good thing is the server did not crash like it did back when DeVadder first set the server up (which was far from his fault). Hopefully this time with the new faces we can keep things rolling rather then constantly tripping over technical bloopers when the game was first released.
    Is it possible to have some kind of reservation system for RPSers? I understand that the server was full last night due to randoms joining in to test the new maps. I was kinda looking forward to the event and found the server full.
    If we have a reasonable player base (and I think we're getting there) I'd suggest password protecting the server so that we can have a better chance at getting everybody in.

Activated Node
    Last nights game was not indicative of normal participation levels. If I remember correctly, the previous event on Sunday was a dud.

Network Hub
    Yeah, there were a few members of major Tribes (should I include myself in that? :P ) turning up to try out the new maps in a pub setting. My impressions are that Dangerous Crossing is too small for even 14vs14 on the RPS server; Stonehenge is okay but still rather too good for snipers (note one guy getting Slayer) and Permafrost could be good if more people went on the attack. I attribute that to not really knowing the map.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbobthebob View Post
    Permafrost could be good if more people went on the attack. I attribute that to not really knowing the map.
    I think it also becomes better with good comunication. If you have voice chat the assault can be timed much better and getting the flag out is easier. Without that there are only two options, go for the generator or try to get the flag out of the building and pray that someone pick it up as you die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well as an tech player I appreciate Permafrost a lot. Also got to set my new highscore there. I feel thumper is the only weapon I can use properly in this game :/

Also a little bit of boasting. I didn't know what to do with all the credits I had as a Tech.

2012-07-26_00001.jpg2012-07-26_00002.jpg
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 26-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Network Hub
    Well, if you can use the Thumper you can use both of the soldier's thumpers and the pathfinder's bolt launcher. They all have very similar arcs. Speaking of arcs, you'd probably be okay with the Arx buster too. Apart from that, if you want to get used to weapons like the TCN SMG (one of the best automatics in the game now) just go into target practice for a short time, or play with the TCN in an outside role. Being outside and defending the flag is often more useful to your team anyway, though you I assume you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by evilbobthebob View Post
    Yeah, there were a few members of major Tribes (should I include myself in that? :P ) turning up to try out the new maps in a pub setting. My impressions are that Dangerous Crossing is too small for even 14vs14 on the RPS server; Stonehenge is okay but still rather too good for snipers (note one guy getting Slayer) and Permafrost could be good if more people went on the attack. I attribute that to not really knowing the map.

Agree on all points. On stonehenge I could not bomb anything as a JUG without getting swarmed and pelted by two SENs at once.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Activated Node
    Havok would be nice for Permafrost to make sure you can get enough people to the enemy base at the same time.

Yeah, thinking of saving up for both bolt launchers at the moment.

Yay for clantags. ^^

I made mine before i even joined yesterday, they are virtually free anyways.
    Also, twinfusors are so much fun. I do not think they are very good, or even better, seeing how hard it is to apply the full damage of a volley quickly. But i just enjoy shooting them. And what more could one ask for.

So RPSZ is the clan tag?

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Mh, so my first (very early) thoughts on the patch:

- Stonehenge is the one with the giant "bridge" in the middle, right? Hate that. Dunno why bit it feels like running against a wall over and over again. Also the "bridge" is too hard to get up to imho. Also the turrent placement seems "odd", sometimes turrets can hit you at spots they should not even be able to see you.
    I'm fine with it. They're supposed to be hard to get on because of the vantage point they offer. If they were easy, I think we'd have even more SENs up there. Or JUGs. The map is a bit smaller scale than the T1 version was, IIRC, so that might be part of why it feels odd.

- Still missing stuff to spend credits on. Most likely one of the reasons why long games tend to end in orbital spam
    I think part of the problem is that vehicles aren't as necessary as they were in T1 & 2. So, yeah...once the base is upgraded, there's not much else to do with them. There are many times in a pub when I get near the end of a long match and notice, "Oh, hey...credits."
    - Still the odd design decisions like why to give Sentinels and Juggs prettey decent to outright awesome dueling weapons (aka automatics)
    The Falcon can still be a bit too effective in the right hands, even with its increased falloff and regular damage going down to 65, but I'm okay with giving less mobile classes an auto. Mostly because everyone else has autos... so that's kind of the problem. SENs and JUGs would be a lot more vulnerable without them. Nobody would use a JUG in comp or pugs if they didn't have an X1. Maybe the risk/reward would be worth it for some... but probably not fun in most settings. I think we'd all prefer to see autos take a backseat to explosives... but I'm just thankful to be playing a Tribes game in 2012.

/edit/
    After getting some of the worst latency ever on the RPS server last evening, I did some fiddling with the way my cable line comes into the house last night. (constant warping at all hours, only evident while playing Tribes) The house I'm renting has a messy config--splitters for tv & cable, a signal booster for the one line, etc--but I think the solution I found is a bit more elegant. The game I tested this morning was back to normal--20-30 ping with NO warping. So, woohoo. The real test will be if the same happens at peak hours.

I'm still laughing about the fact that HR suggested updating my video drivers for a network issue.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 26-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.

I found the Doombringer's ammo nerf pretty painful. The call-in ammo station really should be made a bit tougher too, so it becomes a lower priority target. If you're lucky enough to have a proper DOOM playing HOF, please don't pick up ammo near the flagstand. They need it!