Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1170
    Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Just picked up the Gast's Rifle today. Until I got my First Win that unlocked the +4 ammo per clip upgrade, it was pretty useless for me. The trouble is that I've yet to master the projectile speed of the SLD's rifles. I'm getting better, though, so the Gast's is looking like it will probably be my standard loadout. I've been using the Proxy 'nades, too, which are pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    I don't have it myself, but from my on-stand experience the cappers using this, while somewhat suffering in the dueling area, are beasts when it comes to clearing mines while going for the grab.

Other than that highly situational use (when's the last time anyone saw a stand not getting bombarded to crap 24/7?), I agree there's not much point to it, and it seems many other players do, too. Right after the update hit there were light twinfusors PTHs EVERYWHERE and now after only a few days I barely see any of them, if at all.
    Its possibly nice for popping mines and whatnot, but as you say its not really too hot for much else. My main gripes with each twinfusor is they seem to be the same across the board just with different damages. While I've not timed anything, the reload speeds and disc speeds seem to be the same regardless of which they are. Again I'm not sure if I'm making presumptions from the animations, but the light spinfusor seems to be really quick to reload compared to the sluggish reload speeds and firing of the Heavy / Devastator spinfusors (which seems to have a longer reload time then the animation suggests if I am correct).

Regardless, despite the look of the Heavy being a bit weird sitting over the X1, I personally still feel its a good sidegrade despite the Jug's main weapons being explosive also.

EDIT: I may change my tune on this slightly, just made a vid quick (to show how stupid I am to myself) just to compare these things. Gonna upload it to see if I'm being a moron.
    Last edited by Scumbag; 01-08-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Righto, Not sure if I'm noticing much difference between the guns here:

Cant remember if the slight delay between the shots with the medium and heavy TFs is mechanical or my brain being slow, but the reload animations seem exactly the same, plus the projectile speeds seem to move at the same pace. There does seem to be a slight difference between the damage numbers, but not very large ones. The heavy is obviously the superior weapon when it comes to damage and I cant really tell if Hi-Rez simply thought "Light one is in the hands of a fast character, therefore its ok for the damage to be less" and that was that.
    Dunno, I think the reload speed or projectile speed could be a little different between the weapons myself.

I prefer the projectile speeds beeing similar. And also similar to spinfusors. Hitting with weapons in this game is a matter of much learning and gaining a feel for them. If the projectile speeds were too different, i would most likely hit nothing for a while after switching classes/weapons.

edit: I just saw, you are comparing to the heavy spinfusor. But it does not replace that one, the heavy spinfusor is quite clearly superiour to the heavy twinfusor as it deals more raw damage faster and easier to apply. The heavy twinfusor should be compared to the MKD, what also explains why it is so similar to the medium one.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 01-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Before I talk more about Twinfusors or any other such things: We now have a subforum! Huzzah! Should this thread now be considered to be the "Tribes: General" thread from here on in?

Subforum subforum subforum subforum....

We should now begin to make new threads for different topics, like weapon discussion, patches, server rules and whatnot.

I would suggest we call this thread legacy and shift discussions of all kinds into new threads to keep stuff more accesible and less menacing for new readers.

Making a new thread regarding the server as we... type.

first thread :P

New PC is built, bring on the shazbotting!

I've finally gathered courage to have a go at proper Pathfinding last night and tried to learn a route on Katabatic. First attempt was fail, I still can't figure out why I can't get the start right, but I did another one after and it was such a revelation. I realized a few things about proper usage of slopes and in-flight adjustments and so on... and the result was spectacular. Granted, I have to work at actually aiming properly at the flag, because most of the time I get carried away and miss the flag by a lot.

Do you guys have any suggested videos or tips about how/what to learn at first? Considering how many maps are in rotation now, it's a bit daunting...

Network Hub
    Make sure you have the Reach perk. It makes grabbing the flag much easier! There are a lot of videos about for cap routes. Just searching for "tribes ascend cap routes" should give you a lot of choice. I can't comment on quality because I don't cap myself. As for what to do first, just learning one solid route per map is good. Then try learning a couple more for the major competitive maps: Drydock, Katabatic, Crossfire, Arx Novena. By that point you will probably be good enough to formulate your own routes to some extent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    Do you guys have any suggested videos or tips about how/what to learn at first? Considering how many maps are in rotation now, it's a bit daunting...
    Practice on the free roaming maps (this is still in, isn't it? Haven't used this for ages as came to the conclusion that I simply suck at capping. A lot). Also the target practice map is good to learn some timing and hitting things while going fast, usefull for clearing flag stands. Also there should be some videos on YouTube showing some basic capping routes.

Network Hub
    Thesmallkiwibird has a great series of videos with cap routes on almost every map, plus he has a bunch of videos of ego^ (his team) playing matches from his perspective (voice coms included), so you can watch how a pro capper plays in a real game.

RE thesmallkiwibird:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4CD6381DBA8A1ACC&feature=plcp

This is a good collection of his, though I'm not sure if it's still up to date, what with the impact nitron nerf. Still excellent for getting to know the general routine

Also it doesn't cover some of the newer maps, so search for them independently. Just typing "*mapname* route" into youtube should be sufficient.
    Last edited by CWalker; 02-08-2012 at 10:31 PM.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Hi-Rez just put up a raider pack on steam and while I wouldn't buy it at full price, it's currently at a -50% discount and is actually pretty good value for your money even if you don't care for the skins. Well worth checking out if you like the raider or plan on playing it.

Network Hub
    Every route that worked with Impact Nitrons prepatch still works with them (though a very select few of the old routes became somewhat harder to run), however they land approximately 30 kmph slower than they would have previously. All of them can also be slightly adjusted to run with explosive Nitrons, some getting slower but several actually becoming easier and faster. When using explosive Nitrons (with maxed out egocentric, of course) you should use 2 explosive nitrons to maximize impulse gained per health bar (2 properly shot explosive nitrons leaves you at a sliver of health, which is exactly how you want to end up before your regen, and explosive nitrons have the highest impulse of any weapon available to pathfinders). There are a few rare routes where it's better to use one disc and one nitron (notably a few particularly finicky Stonehenge routes), usually because you need to get the jumps closer together than the throw time on a grenade. After your regen, some routes permit an extra Nitron or disc jump just before hitting the flag; this should usually be done with an explosive nitron, though if you're worried about a decent to good sniper then use a spinfusor disc instead (an explosive nitron from max health will take you below the 510 health threshold, the max a sniper can do with one shot, but a disc leaves you just barely above that margin). And of course you'll just generally be at low health, making you an easier target to chain down or chase, though the added speed helps to counteract that. Using that last nitron or disc jump is generally a situational/preference issue, and remember you can always do it after you have the flag if you want to. It's almost never a good idea to boost into the flag in 5v5 LT, if you ever play any of that.

Note that explosive nitrons are not always the best choice either. They give you the fastest routes, but some pros still use impact nitrons on small maps like crossfire to give them the versatility to be able to turn off a route and chase at the drop of a hat with proper tools. Explosives should be your go-to belt item, but it's ok to bring out impacts if you think the situation calls for it. Your routes will be essentially identical either way (with impact nitrons, you want 2 nitrons and one disc jump to maximize impulse, so the only challenge is finding the time for the extra shot). Using an impact nitron to boost yourself into the flag is also significantly cheaper in terms of health than an explosive nitron, though of course you can't do it after you pick up the flag.

Also worth noting is that when running with explosive nitrons you can take any primary weapon without worrying about your impulse, but with impact nitrons you'll gain the most out of either the light spinfusor or dueling spinfusor, with a slight impulse loss on bolt throwers (and an extreme one on the light twinfusor).

Oh, and some people will tell you to soldier cap in this patch. That's a load of bollocks, don't listen to them. There are times when it might be ideal to pull out a medium armor cap, but it's not most of the time.

Oh wow, that's a great write-up, thanks for the advice! Thanks for the tips, everyone.

@bonkers Yeah, you still can roam any map locally with flags, turrets and everything (well, sans players which is good cause they'd be laughing themselves silly at my stunts)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritashi View Post
    Oh, and some people will tell you to soldier cap in this patch. That's a load of bollocks, don't listen to them. There are times when it might be ideal to pull out a medium armor cap, but it's not most of the time.
    Between the nerf to nitrons, 20% speed boost to fusor self-propulsion and the metagame of running several Sentinels per team, how is it bollocks? Setting up a route with SLD takes less time now, you can actually get the flag at decent speeds, and you might actually make it to midfield becore you die to volleys of Sentinel fire.

As for the Twinfusor, it's fun to use but bad. If you fire both disks at once it's pretty much impossible to hit with both because of the knockback and the need to compute two different paths of the target separately, and if you take your time to aim both disks the DPS drops way below that of the Spinfusor. Sure midairs are much easier, but there's nothing more depressing than scoring three midairs on a Heavy and then still getting stomped because the individual disk damage is so low.

Network Hub
    Soldier capping is bollocks because it just isn't fast enough. In pub matches, ya go for it, but in anything like comp or pug play it's not worth it. It's not only about what speed you hit the flag at, it's also about how fast your return routes are and how well you can deal with chasers. Sure a SLD is better against SEN, but a half-decent PTH will knock the flag off you with a compact nitron faster than you can sneeze. SLD has very little mid-air maneuverability, making them far easier to predict and hit with nitrons. Also, if the other team is running multiple SEN then they have at most 1 HoF and 1 chaser near the stand, and are d-stacking with that. Your offense should either kill the snipers, or ya you can SLD cap in that case because it counters their build. I didn't say never SLD cap, just that it's not a good go-to capping class. It is viable now in the correct circumstances, which it wasn't really before the patch.

Banned
    Comp is 7v7. Any argument based on "in comp" pretty much fails from the start because of this.