Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Rock, Paper, Spinfusor -- Tribes: Ascend

Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPShazbot

Rock Paper Shotgun now has an unofficial server!

t's called RockPaperShazbot. Right now, it's located in EU - Amsterdam. To find it, change your region to Amsterdam, then refresh and it should be in the list. Click on the small star in the far left column to add it to your favorites so that you can sort by favorites and our server will be at the very top.

The server was graciously paid for by Devadder, myself, and SquirrelFanatic.

I don't really know if this thread will go anywhere, but I thought of the title the other day and it made me giggle, so here it is. Since the private server system is still a ways off and the friend system isn't exactly full-featured, let's just use this thread to discuss the game itself and where it's going. I'm sure people have their varying opinions due to its F2P nature.

Here are my thoughts:

-- Movement feels fine. Great, even. I haven't played Tribes 1 or 2 much, but movement in Ascend feels like it should. People complain about the physics being bad or screwy, but aside from the moments when I run into invisible momentum-robbing bumps in some maps, it's fine.

-- Weapons and classes seem balanced for the most part. I hear the Tech's Thumper is too good and the Brute isn't that great, but that's about it. There are only a few weapons that most people would agree are outright better than the defaults, and everything else seems to be a matter of preference.

-- I love that it's F2P, if only because I think that's the only business model that can support such an incredibly hardcore game like Tribes. If Hi-Rez had put a price on it, even a budget one ($20-ish), you would still have people scared off by just how difficult it is to play. Sure, it would be "complete" as a paid product, but F2P means more people trying it, and a bigger audience in general, and that just might be more important in the long run.

-- That said, I still worry for the future of Tribes: Ascend due to just how unforgiving it is. It's a game that most people will bounce off of, to be honest, and even if it is F2P, I don't know how many people are left that really want a great arena shooter.

-- I paid $10 for the smallest package of Tribes Gold, and I stupidly blew it all on unlocking classes, which are all rather cheap in terms of XP. I haven't touched the specialized classes I've bought, and the weapon unlocks for the classes I *do* play are hella expensive in XP.

-- The XP prices are, uh, imbalanced to say the least. You have relatively reasonable XP prices for classes (7.2K at the cheapest, 28K at the most expensive) and for the upgrades for weapons. Then you have 42K, 75K, and 100K for alternate weapons. 42K is ever so slightly pushing it, but 100K (or $10 in gold) for a different grenade type is bonkers. I'm well aware that buying a booster during the beta period and playing lots will net you a lot of XP, but for the non-paying player, it'll take ages for them to save up for a weapon. And you can't use locked weapons in training, so you don't know if you'll like it or not.

-- I would like to think that Hi-Rez is keeping prices high for the time being because they haven't created that many alternate weapons yet, but I don't know if that's true. Hi-Rez isn't that engaged with the community like Riot, so I don't think anybody really has that good of an idea of what's going to happen in the future.

-- The game kinda has questionable performance. I'm playing around 40 fps on my rig that pulls a steady 60 in pretty much all other (better-looking) UE3 games. It's still beta, though, so I'll let this slide for now.

-- I think it really needs a stat-tracking system and matchmaking based on your rank. A lot of games turn out to be one-sided due to teamstacking, lack of teamwork, or just turtling.

Basically, I think Tribes: Ascend is flippin' fantastic, and the mechanics are spot-on and well-tuned. It still has some rough edges in the F2P system that are becoming increasingly obvious as I play more and more. I hope that Hi-Rez can fix these things and quickly so that Tribes might have the large audience that it deserves.
    Last edited by Miker; 24-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Hey! I love this game and if anyone wants to team up, my name on there is Sheerchance.

Activated Node
    I'm in love with Tribes all over again. I don't even care about all the stuff that is wrong with the game (okay... I do, BUT!), it FEELS LIKE TRIBES! I'm really happy that they nailed this down first because it's exhilarating like nothing else

Vehicles are a bit crap though, ey? Also, I miss the heat seeking missiles and the barrage of flares you would have to drop as you legged it with the flag. Agree about the stat tracking and matchmaking, I find it too easy sometimes but no doubt clan (RockPaperSpinfuser clan, please please please) matches will sort that out a bit.

The whole unlock system needs more work, but it's much better now than it was.

Wish heavies were a bit slower and that it had transports ala Tribes 2, that feeling of impending doom when you saw a fully loaded dropship landing was great, but I suppose the current speed is for the best without them.

So, RPS clan, if you need a Chaser...

My in-game name is Frenz0rz, feel free to add me to your friends list.

As for your assessment of the game, I agree with most of it, particularly the XP/Gold cost of certain unlockable weapons. The Tech's thumper is an extremely effective weapon, particularly indoors, and it seems somewhat unreasonable that you should have to pay a whole $10 (800 Gold) to unlock it. The alternative, earning 100,000 XP (at a rate of perhaps 1-3K per game), is equally unreasonable.

Vehicles are a little underused too, probably due to the utterly naff weapons on both the Gravcycle and the Shrike. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say the majority of kills I get using the Shrike are (admittedly very satisfying) roadkills.

Aside from a few niggling issues like that however, its an absolutely steller game. Its easily the best twitch-based shooter I've played in years.

I've not played for a couple of weeks, but plan to get back shazboting again soon. I guess you all jam on the Euro severs right? I'll keep an eye out for Y'all :-)
    The ting say there be bad guys, I hope it right.

Might I also suggest Rock, Paper, Shazbot as a possible alternative?

I like Rock, Paper, Shazbot. It has a better ring to it. Although Spinfusor is more fitting..

On a side note: Does anyone else think a fully upgraded Tech is like a one man assault team? Not that I mind as I play Tech :-) But it does seem a little overpowered, mainly due to the Thumper I think.
    Last edited by Sarlix; 01-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    The ting say there be bad guys, I hope it right.

I love the game as well I purely play the Pathfinding class and it's awesome
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarlix View Post
    I like Rock, Paper, Shazbot. It has a better ring to it. Although Spinfusor is more fitting..

On a side note: Does anyone else think a fully upgraded Tech is like a one man assault team? Not that I mind as I play Tech :-) But it does seem a little overpowered, mainly due to the Thumper I think.
    On CTF they seem like a Gen room tank, and thats fine, but on TDM or the arenas with the full thumper they are really out of ballance IMO. Dump a few turrets in the centre of the map, then just run about spamming death everywhere with the thumper while watching the turrets rack up the kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    On CTF they seem like a Gen room tank, and thats fine, but on TDM or the arenas with the full thumper they are really out of ballance IMO. Dump a few turrets in the centre of the map, then just run about spamming death everywhere with the thumper while watching the turrets rack up the kills.
    I think though it's at that moment that you switch class to something with heavier armour and a bigger gun and just smash the turrets and the Tech guy as well. Sure, it may not be your style, but you're adapting to a situation and countering it.

At the very least, if you're playing with a good team and there's one heavy hitter, direct him to the turrets and watch his back for that pesky Tech.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Oh, I guess I can't play with you guys since I'm in America. Too bad! I routinely finish in the top spot as a Pathfinder.

Surprised that there have been this many posts so far. It's too bad that they don't have the private server system yet, or else I'd suggest getting a server of our own. Since we're talking about loadouts, do you guys like AR/Thumper or Spinfusor/Pistol on the soldier? I much prefer the latter, but everywhere I go people say that the former is much more versatile and better all around.

I don't play much soldier (I'm more of a doombringer kind of guy), but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. The Eagle pistol is just... not very good, assuming it hasn't changed from before the loadout patch.
    The thumper, assuming you've got the arc down, is only worse than the spinfusor when it comes to long range shots which can't be relied on in any case.

Loving the game, btw. There's still issues (the physics issue, namely, having really been brought out to light by temple ruin's 380+ grabs), but the devs have shown time and again that they're willing to listen to the community's feedback and do something with it. I plonked down 30$ for the preorder package (gold, a booster and VIP status) and I'm not regretting it in the least.
    Last edited by Antares; 02-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Wow, it is really tough that both iconic words of Tribes begin with a 'S'. Hard to decide. I think i like Rock Paper Spinfusor a little better though.
    And i would immediatly join a RPS Clan. HoF here.
    At least everywhere except Temple Ruins, i enjoy it just too much to drop an inventory station between the rooftops of the opposing temple and spamming turrets in their base.

Regarding the prizes: I agree that it is impossible to unlock everything using only unboosted xp. But i actually like the balance of things. A free player can play around with all the classes with comparable ease and fullfil all roles. With maybe two exceptions. Indoor Tech needs the Thumper (The smg is good for chasing however) and the Infiltrators primary is shit compared to the unlockable Spinfusor. But apart from that a free player can basically do whatever he wants, only if he wants the option to use different weapons or even have more than one class fully upgraded and all the perks at his disposal, then he needs to pay or play ungodly amounts of game indeed. So i guess what i mean, the prizes for guns are high, too high maybe, but in exchange, there is absolutely nothing that only gold can buy.

And last but not least: The Brute. Everybody thinks he is rubbish now that he can't kill lvl 4 Generators with two grenades and alone anymore. But that was ridiculous. He is still good at fighting in Gener-Rooms. And he is a great HoF. Not as good as a fully turtled Doomy with Forcefield and mines. But if the enemys do not allow that to happen, it is the Brutes day. He is way better at HoF out of the box. Either using shield pack to do it under fire or with energy pack, allowing him to be a not-too-bad chaser with his pistol and the massive amount of health allowing for discjumps in every turn or hillside.
    You just have to focus more on the body blocking part and less on the killing than Doomy. Jump where you think the grabber wants to go past you and shoot a Disk where he would go to evade you and boom, aybe he dies, maybe he slows and takes a lot of damage. If he survives you may say 'There is a new sheriff in town' or anything else Wild West themed, get out that Revolver to shoot them down.
    I love Brute

One thing thats been pissing me off a bit recently is missiles. I've been messing around in the Shrike with varying degrees of success, but I've found that when missiles are locked on to you they are virtually impossible to shoot down with your crappy weapons. This isnt that much a problem on some of the more hilly maps, but on something large and open like Crossfire it can often be quite difficult to put something in between you and that missile.

The Shrike has great potential, but I think it could use either an alt-fire chaingun or some kind of anti-missile flares. Because right now you can more or less instantly shut down a harassing Shrike by simply firing off 2-3 missiles at it.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Quote Originally Posted by mentor07825 View Post
    I think though it's at that moment that you switch class to something with heavier armour and a bigger gun and just smash the turrets and the Tech guy as well. Sure, it may not be your style, but you're adapting to a situation and countering it.

At the very least, if you're playing with a good team and there's one heavy hitter, direct him to the turrets and watch his back for that pesky Tech.
    If its Katabatic Night, then I'm usually a jug dumping morters round the corners in the central tower. Its not the most fun way to play, but it racks up tech kills.
    The problem with good teams atm with how the matchmaking works (or does not should that be) while its nice to have good players, more oftan then not people wont co-op with you.
    "Tech in the centre"
    "lol we know"
    [vgtg] [vgtg] [vgs] etc...

Hopefully when matchmaking works and / or when VIP / private servers come along this will be less of an issue.

When do you guys reckon the game will be out of beta? Hi-Rez doesn't seem to patch that often, and although the game has certainly come a long way as of late, there's still so much infrastructure missing (matchmaking, private servers, stats, etc) that I don't see it being feature-complete for months and months.

Having just played a three games where my team was utterly stomped 5-0 within minutes due to a heavy team imbalance, I'd probably rank matchmaking as the highest thing on my "requsted feature" list at the moment. Even something as simple as balancing teams by rank at the start of every round would go a long way toward eliminating wildly stacked teams. I hate those moments where everyone sits and waits until they can join the team who dominated the previous round.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    When do you guys reckon the game will be out of beta? Hi-Rez doesn't seem to patch that often, and although the game has certainly come a long way as of late, there's still so much infrastructure missing (matchmaking, private servers, stats, etc) that I don't see it being feature-complete for months and months.
    Hmm, the last two patches had a lot of work intensive stuff like new models and changes to the way loadouts and the menue works. I would not be too surprised if they call it final within one or two months. They will keep adding new content anyway to make more money, but i dont think matchmaking and private servers takes too much time. How well matchmaking will work is a completely different question. HoF for example often gets way less personal points than equally skilled grabbers or gener room fighter, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Hmm, the last two patches had a lot of work intensive stuff like new models and changes to the way loadouts and the menue works. I would not be too surprised if they call it final within one or two months. They will keep adding new content anyway to make more money, but i dont think matchmaking and private servers takes too much time. How well matchmaking will work is a completely different question. HoF for example often gets way less personal points than equally skilled grabbers or gener room fighter, but we will see.
    I suppose that's true. I'm still expecting it to be two months or more until it's final. I do think that they should tweak the credits and accolades, though. I think flag grab, flag defense, high-speed grab and other things should be worth much more than they are now, while kill credits could probably be toned down a bit.

In other news, I found this amazing video of juggernaut play from r/tribes on reddit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMgc7adcS_c