Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Plasma gun outmatches the thumper/spinfusor by the rate of fire alone. Therefore indoors you are in a severe disadvantage, as you cannot dodge the hail of so effectively. The projectiles are also a lot harder to see out in the open, giving the raider a distinct advantage. Also, don't the raiders get a shield bonus? So you have to deal with a ridiculously good weapon and way better armor than what you have.

I don't think it is a mere chance that raiders top the scoreboards now.

The plasma gun's not so bad out in the open, I got a pretty good success rate against them with a spinfuser soldier even if it seems suspiciously easy for raiders to hit you mid-air. The real problem is indoors - the rate of fire is so fast it's virtually impossible to get the better of them. I can see that might be by design (they are raiders after all) but right now it feels like the balance is too far in their favour. We either need a better counter (plasma turret would be fun, taste of their own medicine) or it needs taking down a peg or two.

And the Jackal is still OP, light classes shouldn't be able to take out mediums with a single volley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim9137 View Post
    Plasma gun outmatches the thumper/spinfusor by the rate of fire alone.
    Yep, only by rate of fire and the huge hitbox (that really feels too large, i agree). Both spinfusor and thumper have better damage, knockback and area of effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim9137 View Post
    I don't think it is a mere chance that raiders top the scoreboards now.
    I have not experienced that so far, i got my ass handed to me as usual by pro snipers or pro shrike pilots. But it would neither surprise me. There are a lot of extremely good players, who also often happen to have a lot of spare xp or gp, that will want to play with the new toys. If someone leads the scoreboard as a raider, the question is, would he not have led it as another class?

I today had a few duels in our base with a plasma raider using my grenade launching raider and it basically came down to who shoots first. Both weapons deal so much damage so fast.

So yes, it sure is powerfull, the hitbox certainly feels wierd, but it is by far not as gamebreaking as many people imply. In the open it is not sooo good and the lack of knockback and no energy pack for the raider mean that they just do not feel so well outdoors anyways and indoors the raider allways has been able to deal insane amounts of damage quickly.

But well, i do not mind if it is nerfed, dont get me wrong.

Obscure Node
    I would argue that having 3/4 raiders hold the top spots in the scoreboards, with nearly half of the kills and third of the score of the whole match combined, would unbalance the game in favor of the raiders. Granted, that was the worst case I noticed, and those players were most likely pretty good players to begin with. But when pretty good turns "exceptional" because of one weapon, I think that is a problem. If buying 100000xp to get such a hgue edge over other pretty good players is an option, then it is a pay to win, and that is a problem.

I'm not personally against the weapon itself, though. It's easy enough to avoid the raiders. The problem is the fact that Hi-Rez let in such a powerful weapon that shattered the fragile balance, and it's really worrying for the future. Is this a sign of a trend, or was this one slip up? Will we in the future, have to cough up the dough for tactical nukes like everybody is, just so we can actually have a chance of being nothing more than cannon fodder?

The most charming part about Tribes Beta was that you didn't necessarily need the extra weapons, the extra perks, the extra anything. You could still make do just fine with what you had available. But having health, shield, energy bonuses and then having extra powerful weapons to deal with could turn the game into a game of who has the most money wins. That is what I'm most worried of. I want Tribes to be a skill game. The extra stuff should specialize, not dominate.

Also I think the plasma gun is pretty lame. I just want to pew pew sparrow and they come and go NO! . Bunch of .

I play HoF so fighting/dodging raiders while staying on the flag is pretty commonplace, but with the Arx/Grenade Launcher I found I had a fighting chance. So far the plasma seems to rip me to shreds every time unless I fly like a madman, but then I leave the flag wide open. Combined with the cluster grenades, the flag stand just becomes a death trap.

Of course, most of these issues disappear if there's another person defending with me, but as most of the time people seem to play 'capture/defend the generator' that's pretty rare.

Having said that, jumping on the RPS sever yesterday and today has given me some really good games, so that's reassuring!

I still hate the plasma gun though...

Quote Originally Posted by Guykild View Post
    I play HoF so fighting/dodging raiders while staying on the flag is pretty commonplace, but with the Arx/Grenade Launcher I found I had a fighting chance. So far the plasma seems to rip me to shreds every time unless I fly like a madman, but then I leave the flag wide open. Combined with the cluster grenades, the flag stand just becomes a death trap.

Of course, most of these issues disappear if there's another person defending with me, but as most of the time people seem to play 'capture/defend the generator' that's pretty rare.

Having said that, jumping on the RPS sever yesterday and today has given me some really good games, so that's reassuring!

I still hate the plasma gun though...
    While I can see the point of this to a degree, a good Jug can also do a simlar thing (and far more unexpectedly at that). They dont tend to be running in to cap however.

The server no longer has friendly fire.
    So right now the rules are vanilla CTF except for random map rotation, max 1 shrike per team and gravcycles for 10 credits.

Good stuff today, I had a lot of fun pissing people off as JUG on Raindance If it's not too much hassle, I think that playing arena until we get more than 10 people in the server would make for fun times. It would be a lot more personal and faster-paced compared to 4 vs 3 CTF matches.

@DeVadder: Thanks for adjusting the settings. I like the low costs of gravcycles, as they are a pretty uncommon sight in the first place. It seems nobody uses them for capping (Can you actually do that? One of the background images in the menu does suggest it.), but since Pathfinders move faster anyways I guess it wouldn't make much sense.

Personally I wouldn't mind playing Arena for a while or on an on-and-off basis.

I wish that servers could transition between gametypes easily or implement map vote. As it stands, the custom server functionality is a little half-baked, imo.

And I just played my first match where I felt like the plasma gun needs to be beaten with the nerf stick. I'm a heavy, and I understand that I'm a relatively easy target to mid-air, but man, I was getting absolutely pelted with plasma gun shots while airborne by raiders. It is frankly ridiculous, and I would like to see Hi-Rez lower its rate of fire and projectile speed. The hitbox is questionable, but I like the idea of it being a slow-moving, high-damage weapon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Hi fellas, just wanted to say 'hello!' as I logged on last night and enjoyed myself greatly. I was obviously a noob with no real idea what i was doing (only my second evening with the game, with no previous experience of skiing!), but no-one was too mean and I even managed to get some kills (once I changed classes to one i understood!). Base attack/defence was all over the place from me, so apologies if that lead to our downfall :-). There was a great CTF game where we went to extra time - always nice to play in a tight, well balanced game, win or lose :-)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

I've been playing a lot of T:A lately and i'm happy that a RPS group started for this game!

Tribes Name: BathroomCitizen

Steam Name: BathroomCitizen

Obscure Node
    Hey chaps, I put up a community announcement in the RPS Steam group, and made an informal event for tonight at 7pm, should let people know the server's there and all that.

And my in game name is stalinsghost.

Activated Node
    Heya folks!

I sorta dropped off the RPS forums a bit, but now there's a server I'll definitely be about more. Been playing Tribes most nights of the week, and the game discussion here seems a lot more.. lucid.. than on Reddit's /r/tribes.

Any other PTH/INF players about? I'm Kemuel in game, and on Steam too!

Obscure Node
    I played INF when it was still only silly pistols and one grenade strapped to your chest. It was amazing. Honor will be sacrificed today.

@Greg Wild

Ah, thanks for posting an event in the main RPS group, I didn't think of that. I won't be around for the event, unfortunately, due to my being a damnable yank.

@everybody else

Glad to see more people coming into the thread, and into the Steam group as well -- it's up to 80+ people! I'm definitely going to create an event for Saturday so that US/UK folk can play together -- I'm thinking around 8PM UK, 2PM central US. Does that work for people?

Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    Good stuff today, I had a lot of fun pissing people off as JUG on Raindance If it's not too much hassle, I think that playing arena until we get more than 10 people in the server would make for fun times. It would be a lot more personal and faster-paced compared to 4 vs 3 CTF matches.
    I might just be stupid, but it appears that a game type change requires a server restart. And that appears to require everybody to manually leave the server before it can be brought back up. So that would work, but only if everybody on the server was in one chat or voice room. We should probably test wether or not game type can be changed like everything else, i believe we did, but i am not entirely sure.
    Normal gameplay rule changes take place after a map change but 'Force Next Map' does nothing as it stands. So even turning FF on or off takes some time or coordinated 'outcapping'.

I suppose all of this stuff will work more easily in the future.

edit: Oh and i won't be online a lot over the week-end and apparently currently only i can change settings, the admin password seems to do nothing, so make sure to inform me how you want it to be set up for the week-end event(s).

moar edit: We got mentioned on the front page! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...h-rps-readers/

final (?) edit: I feel i should mention, i am not accepting random friend requests on steam from people i do not know. I got a fair number of invites over the last days, and i fully understand that. I just do not really want to clutter my friend list so i can continue to see easily wether my rl firends play anything.
    If i am playing Tribes, i will be in the group chatroom anyways if you want to say hi. If i am not, it is a lot easier and quicker anyways to send me a PM on this forum, i get email notifications for those. Thanks for your understanding
    Last edited by DeVadder; 26-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Count me in for some fun Tribes action, my name in game is PixelZombie!

Obscure Node
    There should be an easier way to gather around, but anyway:

Tribes nick: Raziel-AX
    Steam: raziel_axd

Let's ballet together in Ascend...

Obscure Node
    would like to play with some RPS people.
    name in game - PaperRat.