Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    I'm still learning, but I came 3rd on my team last night (and got 7500xp!) by playing as the doombringer solely in defence. I'm maybe getting the hang of that role in the team now. It was great. I killed 2 pathfinders by standing still and having them run into me instead of the flag, which possibly is one of my new 'favourite things in games' (assuming that's what actually happened?) :-).
    The game really rewards you from time to time in awesome ways. A few days ago I brought down a Shrike with a shot from the fusion mortar (ok, it was flying quite low). That made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    The game really rewards you from time to time in awesome ways. A few days ago I brought down a Shrike with a shot from the fusion mortar (ok, it was flying quite low). That made my day.
    I did the most fantastic thing yesterday! I disk jumped of the nose of a shrike! Of course not intentional, i was just flying through the air, minding my own business when i randomly looked behind me, only to see a shrike approaching really fast, out for mischief. I panickly shot my spinfusor in his face, and not only did he explode, but it also propelled me forward!
    Of course it messed up my route and i crashed into a hill dieing horrible, but who cares.

A Tribes-related question; looks like my LAN party, which will be in rural parts, will have little if any access to the 'net. Do any of the earlier Tribes games offer LAN play?

Tribes 1 _is_ available for free here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/140246/140...bes-(Free-Game)

I note the Wikipedia page mentions the official servers are down but there are community "master servers". But I presume for LAN play I don't need those? *fingers crossed*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starsiege:_Tribes

P.
    Last edited by oceanclub; 02-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Network Hub
    Both of the original Tribes games (not sure about Vengeance) have LAN play built-in.

Quote Originally Posted by evilbobthebob View Post
    Both of the original Tribes games (not sure about Vengeance) have LAN play built-in.

Cool! Now to teach them how to ski...

P.

Does anyone else feel a bit like the game could be so much better without automatic weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by LeiterJakab View Post
    Does anyone else feel a bit like the game could be so much better without automatic weapons?
    I kind of agree, but it would pretty much break CTF, though, since chasing requires the use of an automatic.

@oceanclub

If you're going to play Tribes 1/2, I think there are community-made bundles that include all the stuff necessary to play. Skiing, I think, was a script (it was a physics exploit) and the Fileplanet link you posted might not have it. Check the bundles posted at Reddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/tribes (right side, play tribes 1/2) and see if that's what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    I'm still learning, but I came 3rd on my team last night (and got 7500xp!) by playing as the doombringer solely in defence. I'm maybe getting the hang of that role in the team now. It was great. I killed 2 pathfinders by standing still and having them run into me instead of the flag, which possibly is one of my new 'favourite things in games' (assuming that's what actually happened?) :-).
    I like the Doomy too, kinda fun when Pathfinders run into the back of you and you get a kill. Good teams provide you with support ie don't let the flag stand get mortared to death and chase the flag when it does go...also really nice when one of the team cappers gives you a flag to cap!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've heard the Heavy classes occasionally moan when they get given a flag to hold (they're sat on the stand, your flag's floating around at 250km/h the other side of the map, and you feel a bit fragile being a Pathfinder), claiming they're too easy to kill cos they're fat and slow. Is it better to give a flag to the 2000HP guy or should the Pathfinder keep it and just run in circles screaming for a bit?

Network Hub
    Generally the best class to hold the flag is soldier (or raider) because they can take care of themselves while having good mobility. Then you also want a few PTHs and other mediums defending the flag carrier, ideally. Of course in pubs it can often be best to rabbit (i.e. ski around) with the flag to avoid chasers. It really depends on the strength of the defence.

The problem is less beeing killed quickly but beeing hit with impact nitron easily. Heavys can never ski around fast enough to avoid that. And if they hide in a building, chances are they wont be fast enough to cap when the flag is returned before it is e-grabbed again by the enemy offense.
    Most heavys will happily hold it for you when you need to regain your health, but allways stay close, ready to pick up after a nitron and take it back when at full health.
    I agree that soldiers are best to have the flag, but a quick light can do it just as well.

Activated Node
    Maintain the speed you have when you approach your base and just rabbit around. Cry for backup and maybe alternate the flag with one of your wingmen.

Guess I'm alone in my fatty Brute caps then? Got a few grabs at 180+ with a spinfuser jump and got back to base fine at least a quater of the times. Main problem with Heavys it they dont feel that manuverable compared to the other classes at top speed.

Yeah, most of the times you can't gain the height you need to gain speed with heavies, just enough to keep momentum.

Brute with a fully upgraded energy pack possibly, but thats XP on that rather then something else more important possibly.

Kinda sad the RPS server has been dry for the past couple of days. Tried to use it waiting for people to log on and no-body comes in. Seems the reliability issue with it has cleared it out to a degree.
    Maybe we can have a weekend event scheduled to pull in more peoples?

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Brute with a fully upgraded energy pack possibly, but thats XP on that rather then something else more important possibly.Kinda sad the RPS server has been dry for the past couple of days. Tried to use it waiting for people to log on and no-body comes in. Seems the reliability issue with it has cleared it out to a degree.Maybe we can have a weekend event scheduled to pull in more peoples?
    Sure, when would you like it? I've been busy with exams, and I'll be out of the country for a month starting mid-May. Speaking of which, is there anybody else who would like to admin the group?

I would say Sunday myself, however due to how late the matches will be to include yourself (10pm GMT?) for a Sunday run that may be a little late.

I would say I dont mind admining or whatnot, but I'm actually set for a lot of potential upheaval in the coming month (Spend a year out of work trying to get any interview I can, then suddenly I get 3 job offers in a week that require me to scoot about the country).

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    I would say I dont mind admining or whatnot, but I'm actually set for a lot of potential upheaval in the coming month (Spend a year out of work trying to get any interview I can, then suddenly I get 3 job offers in a week that require me to scoot about the country).
    Since I've got the (or a?) server password, I would also be up for checking the server every now and then and getting it back online if admins are needed. Haven't played a lot during the last days since I had other stuff to do (and play) and the whole XP-grinding is getting a bit boring. I'd be up for events during the weekend though!

I usually check the server around 10pm GMT!

I spammed events for the weekend

What do you people think about daily events? Imho the biggest problem is, that all of us check out the server at slightly different times, find it empty, and join a public game. If we had a common time every day at wich all those people who wanted to play that night anyways would join, it would most likely fill up enough.
    I am just not sure what people would think about Steam showing them dozens of events.

edit: I wont be around tonight, but if the server should be offline (for whatever reason) email me at eve.devadder@gmail.com.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 04-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.