Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Just got the Soldier Spinfusor in a daily deal which was on my "must buy" list for like... forever. Although I don't think that even the reduced prices are good deal I got it. 120 gold is about the absolut maximum I would like to pay for a weapon. But I doubt I would have payed that price for anything else then the spinfusor.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    My deal today is the Eagle Pistol (soldier secondary) for 60GP. I don't play Soldier a whole lot, but 60 GP seems like a really good deal. It would allow for quick shots and might be worth swapping in when running the Spinfusor, but the Thumper DX seems like a hard weapon to replace. Maybe if I chased more.

Thoughts on the weapon?
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 06-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.

I play soldier a fair bit of the time, to be honest when I've got the spinfuser I'm not sure why I'd want the thumper on me. It does less damage and has a shorter range, although the arc and very slightly faster projectile can come in handy in some situations taking both feels like a waste. The Eagle is pretty poor as a weapon (the damage drops off really fast) but it fits better with the spinfuser as a set - it's particularly useful for chipping away at people's health while you chase just to make sure they don't regen.

Network Hub
    As a general rule you should always have one explosive and one hitscan/automatic weapon in a loadout. This gives you the versatility to fight both indoors and out, and at long and short ranges.

Soldier is a weird class in that if you unlock the spinfusor you really need to have the Eagle to balance it correctly. I suppose you can use both, but as soon as I unlocked the 'fusor for myself the Thumper felt kind of pointless as a secondary. If you are a good aim (which I am not) the Eagle is a good short range finishing / regen denial weapon.

Now I have the Thumper as a main for my Tech been thinking of an arena setup for him. Sawn-off with the Thumper any good in an arena? The damage potential seems to be there with quickly slapping down a turret and could work as an alternative to a Soldier or Raider. Any ideas?

SF and Thumper work very well /imho if you have the fast draw perk. Of course you loose some dueling/finishing capacity but if you play defensive and/or go indoors it's a pretty good loadout.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    SF and Thumper work very well /imho if you have the fast draw perk. Of course you loose some dueling/finishing capacity but if you play defensive and/or go indoors it's a pretty good loadout.
    Yep, even more so with Proximity Mines. If you fire Spinfusor, Thumper and grenade in a row you do enough damage to kill a medium and that in less time than it would take to fire the spinfusor twice. Of course afterwards you have some reloading to do and the Eagle IS a pretty good weapon to finish people off who run/fly away and are thus tough targets for disks.

Small problem for tonight:
    Seems I cant change the actual game type around in the server so I cant change things to arena mode. Will see what can be done however.

Has HiRez stated when this upcoming patch will drop?

For those who are unaware:
    I wanted to update you on a couple important changes coming in the next patch to Tribes (tentatively planned for next week), as the changes might impact how you choose to spend your XP between now and the upgrade date.There are a number of things in the next patch, including our largest to date re-balancing of the weapons (driven based on feedback directly taken from a council of competitive players). We will also be introducing a large number of new weapons, which are essentially variants of existing weapons, giving people more options to find weapons that fit their exact preferred playstyle. And there are a couple new maps.
    Perhaps the biggest change, especially for newer players, is that we are introducing new ways to improve and speed player advancement (based on feedback from the community).
    With the next patch, you will no longer spend XP on weapon and armor upgrades. Each weapon, pack, perk, and armor class will progress automatically towards their upgrades as you play with them equipped.
    This is greatly to your advantage, as you can simultaneously progress many items in your loadout (up to 7), and save all of the XP you earn for unlocks such as new weapons and new perks. In general this will significantly increase how quickly you earn unlocks in the game.
    Think of it as each item having their own little progression bar, and as you play it fills up and gives you free unlocks, until you master a weapon. The progression on weapons is based on your ending match XP (think of it as duplicating that value to each weapon), so it is increased by performance, boosting, first win of the day, and badge earning.
    Some important things to consider:

• Any upgrades you have purchased prior to the upgrade will remain purchased.

EDITED - When the patch is live, how you acquire upgrades will change. For most users the smart path will be to simply play the weapon. As you do so, you will automatically upgrade. For those that have excess XP, there will be an option to immediately master the weapon at any point using XP. /EDITED

• When the patch is live, you will no longer be able to acquire upgrades with saved XP, and your progression on your next weapon upgrades will start from the beginning for that particular upgrade.

If there are upgrades you wish to have immediately unlocked, it's recommended you purchase them now. Otherwise, you will have to start progression toward your next unlock from the starting point for that unlock. Keep in mind, though, that you may wish to save all of your XP now with the knowledge that future unlocks will happen automatically on the weapons you wish to play with.
    We are excited about this change and are excited to hear your feedback and concerns.
    Thanks, Stew
    ref: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/...?f=234&t=73546
    Update on the Gigapatch
    HiRezStew: We can look at a path to immediately master a weapon using XP (regardless of how much you have mastered it to date).
    Ref: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/...930441#p930441
    Update2 on the Gigapatch
    HiRezStew: Edited original post. We'll add a single button to master the weapon using XP.
    The concern of having this has mostly been just around causing confusion for new users. The new system is nice in its simplicity in that you simply play the weapon and you earn upgrades, and you have to make fewer choices around whether to spend newly earned XP on upgrades to existing weapons, or to acquire new stuff.
    Ref: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/...930467#p930467
    I'm excited about new maps and that the Raider SMGs are getting the nerf they deserve. What's not so exciting is that the TCN SMG is also getting tweaked. It's a really good gun, but the TCN class's dueling weakness balances that out, IMO.

Are the new weapons/weapon tweaks listed anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Are the new weapons/weapon tweaks listed anywhere?
    This is what I've found:
    From HiRezScott:Hey everyone. Here is an update on what we are currently testing in regards to automatics for the next patch. We're still tweaking, so nothing is final:

• Increased damage fall-off on all SMGS. (That's a Nerf, damage is falling off faster).
    • On all automatics, the final upgrade that reduces reload time by 30% being reduced to 15%.
    • On all automatics, a minor decrease in clip size, varied depending on the weapon and slot.
    • On a few select automatics, a minor damage reduction (mainly around the Raider's Automatics as compared to Soldier's AR.)

Please discuss.
    As an aside: this next patch is going to be pretty huge. It'll have the most balance adjustments since we changed the system to be weapon unlocks in Beta (many focused on better comp play), as well as a couple of other pretty huge features around improving the unlocking experience.
    Source: http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Interesting. I see a lot of people complaining about SMGs but with the possible exception of the Raider and the Jug LMG they've never felt particularly overpowered to me. Not compared to the Jackle at any rate, but maybe it's just me whose a little tired of randomly exploding with no warning /bitter

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Interesting. I see a lot of people complaining about SMGs but with the possible exception of the Raider and the Jug LMG they've never felt particularly overpowered to me. Not compared to the Jackle at any rate, but maybe it's just me whose a little tired of randomly exploding with no warning /bitter

But what about the surprise?!?!!?!?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
    But what about the surprise?!?!!?!?!!!!!
    It's such a lovely surprise my only regret is that it doesn't happen in real life. I'd love to be casually walking down the street on a fine day, only to suddenly explode into multiple parts and scatter myself over a wide area.

'Tis the dream of every good fellow.
    Thoughts on arena: good for a couple matches, then gets boring (or when I start losing, mind you)!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
    'Tis the dream of every good fellow.
    Thoughts on arena: good for a couple matches, then gets boring (or when I start losing, mind you)!
    When you start losing? WHEN? What if you were never winning?

That was actually quite good. Slow to start, but once the game got rolling it was a lot of fun.
    If we do arena nights more oftan I think there will be 2 or 3 maps done max tbh as, I agree, it can get old fast.

well I joined late but I enjoyed it. Never tried Arena before, actually. I'll definitely join you for the next one !

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    When you start losing? WHEN? What if you were never winning?
    Then I switch teams because of bad balance.

Great. I spent the last two weeks on upgrading my armor and weapons. Could have saved those to buy weapons.
    But well, in the end it's a good thing. Especially for new players.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    But well, in the end it's a good thing. Especially for new players.
    It will save you some time, at least.

If the post-patch method of leveling upgrades only requires the amount that they do now, which is usually 1k, 2k, 4k, 6k, 12k, then I think it's a good idea. It'll actually *save* us XP in the long run, so long as we don't mind starting out with an un-upgraded version. I'm back up to 70k XP atm, and I'm deciding about whether to apply upgrades now or wait for what's new in the patch.

==

Also, I requested friendship from a few of the members on Steam. Otherwise, AuralViolations was the only member I could see that was playing. (if I happened to be around when a spontaneous game was going down) My handle on Steam is the same as on here, though I believe my schedule is 5 hours off the UK time. (EDT)
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 08-06-2012 at 04:05 PM.