Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
    Am I the only one who duels better with the MKD than the x1 and that thinks plasma guns are crap? I mop the floor with plasma raiders and brutes every time, I'm more frightened by a good spinner.
    It depends entirely on how good your opponent is (most people who use the Plasma weapons seem to be quite poor players). The trouble with them is that they make the encounter very 'binary', in that if they get a good aim on you you're as good as dead once the first shot lands and your screen starts wobbling all over the place. Of course, if you can kill them before they can find their aim it's not a problem, but it's still a frustrating weapon that really should never have been made the way it is.

As for the X1, it depends entirely on how good you are with automatics. For anyone with a good aim it's ridiculously powerful, and you get to use a Spinfusor too in the form of the discs (with limited ammo obviously).

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    What makes the X1 okay in my opinion is that you're no longer outmatched by a skilled medium class. Sure, the MK-D/X can kill well enough when targets touch the ground, but most of us can't blue plate well enough to hit air targets consistently. The X1 evens things out and keeps JUGs viable in higher skill settings (like comp).

Banned
    Then what IS supposed to kill a Heavy class? Or are they simply supposed to be only killable by other Heavies?

Yeah, a Medium has energy advantage, but you also have twice as much HP. Jugs are bad enough to deal with when they don't have an ability to wield both a good auto and a good explosive weapon at the same time.

It's mostly a pub problem, IMO, but a skilled Heavy class is supposed to be tough to kill, given the mobility tradeoff. When I snipe and don't have any softer targets, I often hit heavies with 500dmg shots just to annoy them. It often makes them come in closer to get away from it. (or they hide) Pub games often aren't balanced with roles to counter strong individuals like an X1 JUG, though.

With the comp matches I've watched, you barely see any JUGs, to be honest. Maybe one per team, and they're mostly MIRV/Mortaring. It's pretty easy to auto a heavy from relatively safe distance. That's not to say that the X1 isn't one of the best autos in the game. It's just that, when class roles are being played instead of lots of team deathmatch-like dueling in CTF, the X1 doesn't seem that powerful. The JUG's main job is his primary weapon.

When it comes down to it, CTF is really about flag play, and heavies can't do anything well in that regard (aside from clear). They may duel well, but the Soldier can often out-duel an X1 JUG.

evilbobthebob probably has a more accurate opinion on it, though, as he plays JUG in clan matches.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 07-07-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Network Hub
    You're essentially correct. The Juggernaut is very effective at flag stand harassing from long range, and you can assault the stand with the rest of your offence very well, but once the initial shock of your arrival has worn off most defenders will just concentrate fire on you and finish you fast, regardless of your X1 and discs. Heavy armour = fat target.

For your enjoyment:

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    For your enjoyment:

-snip-
    Haha, awesome

I've tried doing that a few times but it always failed, except for one time when I was trying to drop a tactical strike on the enemy flagstand and accidentally pressed the wrong button...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    well engi with mines is perfect for base flag defense, bad for genroom defense, but on other hand you can notice infiltrators asaulting your generator.

Also, I present to you technaughtTechnaught.jpg
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 07-07-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Inventory stations are so useful. They give you ammo, can kill enemies by dropping them on their heads, and they are... hats.

EDIT: Looks like GabeN saw this and got angry so HiRez patched it out before they felt his wrath.
    Last edited by Scumbag; 08-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.

For your enjoyment:[video]
    Lovely, that's my favourite pastime if I am getting bored by the game.

Over the double-XP weekend I got enough XP to buy the Prism Mines for my Infiltrator and I'm having so much fun mining up the enemy base / flagstand and the main routes for light classes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Over the double-XP weekend I got enough XP to buy the Prism Mines for my Infiltrator and I'm having so much fun mining up the enemy base / flagstand and the main routes for light classes.
    That's what I've started doing with the Doombringer's mines on certain maps, such as Temple Ruins. I'll run into their base, chaingun blazing, and then toss my mines all around their flagstand while I'm fighting their HoFs. I've also managed to drop my force field around their flagstand a few times and kill their flag carrier when he runs into it thinking that it's one of theirs. It's amazing what you can get away with when it comes to passive items in the enemy base. The Technician's turret gets wrecked really quickly because it actively shoots people and announces that it's an enemy, but mines don't do anything until someone steps on them and the force field requires someone to try to walk through it before they notice that it's not theirs(so long as the generator status for both teams is the same).

Yes, yesterday I dropped 3 prisms around the enemy flagstand: each one was set off and the last one effectively killed their HoF *grin*
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    I've also managed to drop my force field around their flagstand a few times and kill their flag carrier when he runs into it thinking that it's one of theirs.
    Oh, that's a good one too. I love doing things like this. Inventory Stations kills were one of the first things I tried and they work more often than you'd think. Prism Mines hidden in dark corners and terrain transitions (like flagstand/dirt) are often overseen by enemies when they charge into your or their base. I guess I need to unlock the Doombringer class next. Are the mines/forcefield default choices, or do you have to buy them?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
    Yes, yesterday I dropped 3 prisms around the enemy flagstand: each one was set off and the last one effectively killed their HoF *grin*
    Nice! I had a similar moment on Sunstar when a pair of Raiders killed me at the entrance of the central structure. Right before I engaged them I managed to drop a mine into which one of them then ran after I had died. Aftermath kills are pure satisfaction.
    Last edited by Squiz; 10-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I guess I need to unlock the Doombringer class next. Are the mines/forcefield default choices, or do you have to buy them?
    Forecefield is the default (there is nothing else to choose from), mines have to be unlocked.

Mines are around 75k XP to unlock, so start saving! (or get a good daily deal)

Mines are around 75k XP to unlock, so start saving! (or get a good daily deal)
    Thanks, it's saving up for me, as I don't buy gold. I put 5EUR into the RPS server but since that didn't get me the VIP status it's a slow crawl. Putting in more money isn't something I'd like to do either. What I need is another double-XP weekend.
    Last edited by Squiz; 10-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks, it's saving up for me, as I don't buy gold. I put 5EUR into the RPS server but since that didn't get me the VIP status it's a slow crawl. Putting in more money isn't something I'd like to do either. What I need is another double-XP weekend.
    Honestly, if you enjoy the game, then buying the smallest amount of gold would be a good idea. You can still have fun going strictly free-to-play, but most people that review and play the game would recommend people to view it as a $10 game. You just get more out of it, as VIP status is worth it and your money supports the devs.

Take that as you see fit, though I'll admit that I'm a sucker for anything Tribes. So, dropping a few bucks was a no-brainer for me.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 10-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Honestly, if you enjoy the game, then buying the smallest amount of gold would be a good idea. You can still have fun going strictly free-to-play, but most people that review and play the game would recommend people to view it as a $10 game. You just get more out of it, as VIP status is worth it and your money supports the devs.

Take that as you see fit, though I'll admit that I'm a sucker for anything Tribes. So, dropping a few bucks was a no-brainer for me.
    Yeah, as I said in my post above, I already put in a few bucks. The game is enjoyable enough F2P using the XP system for me.

But... but... you get more XP.

Banned
    Considering all the numerous ways in which this game is broken, if you ever gave HiRez any money then congratulations, you are part of the reason why videogames suck so much today.