Page 45 of 59 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    Excellent Hopefully there's still a server in place by the time I get a new PC built. With the $100 claim I'm getting from UPS and the $44 shipping fee they're refunding, I could build an actually modern PC this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    edit: In fact i think the most tiring job he takes care of is reminding me of changing the server for the events.
    For every event I have to do this, a kitten dies

...then again it was going slow.

EDIT: This week's games are listed. I imagine things may be slow due to the steam sales and people will be wanting to try out Slow Kitten Simulator 2012, but the Wednesday game has a note on the Steam event and if people could comment here and on that its would be appreciated:

The week after next there will be a Capture & Hold event on the RPS server (I hope). Please say if you object or agree to this. If you are neutral then pop on the server anyhow and see if its fun or a sausage feast (mmmmm... sausage).
    Last edited by Scumbag; 15-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Network Hub
    I managed to pop by the server last night for two thirds of a round and it was an absolute blast. It was Arx Novena, and I came in joining a 1-3 down Blood Eagle and we managed to turn it around to an incredibly close 4-5 loss. Definitely need to make more time to join you guys, but I suspect that's not going to happen in the next few weeks.

Keep the community up!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Oh dear god... the last few days have been painfull. Since the game went up on Steam the overall teamplay on pubs (the little that existed before) went totally down the drain. Playing flag defense or HoF has become a pain in the ass, even more then it was before. Nobody cares about that JUG spaming FMdeluxe partyballs at the flagstand or the SEN taking out almost everything without any INF caring because most of the time they are busy joining the BRT spaming Safety Third.

HoF is just painfull right now. Maybe I'll try to go midfield defense and hope someone else takes the part of flag defense, which very few people seem to be interested in these days. But returning the flag although it is stuck in a corner, thats a thing they simply love to do no matter how often you spam VFS...

Network Hub
    I recommend trying the more "competitive style" alternative, soldier on flag. Much more manoeuvrable, you just have to fly onto the flag when you spot a capper to block them, or thumper the flag, or throw a proxy grenade at the right time.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Oh dear god... the last few days have been painfull. Since the game went up on Steam the overall teamplay on pubs (the little that existed before) went totally down the drain. Playing flag defense or HoF has become a pain in the ass, even more then it was before. Nobody cares about that JUG spaming FMdeluxe partyballs at the flagstand or the SEN taking out almost everything without any INF caring because most of the time they are busy joining the BRT spaming Safety Third.

HoF is just painfull right now. Maybe I'll try to go midfield defense and hope someone else takes the part of flag defense, which very few people seem to be interested in these days. But returning the flag although it is stuck in a corner, thats a thing they simply love to do no matter how often you spam VFS...
    Yeah, since it went on Steam and the corresponding double XP event pubs have been rather a gamble. There's been a lot of one-sided matches where neither team was playing well, and I've been in loads of games where there was no HoF or indeed any flag defense at all. It's variable though, I find that it's very much dependant on the time of day - weekends are full of shit-talking kids, and so are weekdays late afternoon/early evening (to a lesser extent). I really need to get in on the RPS server but my internet connection is so unreliable at the moment I can't really commit to these things.

On the plus side, playing TCN has been fun what with all the terrible INFs and BRTs around doing the same thing over and over, basically feeding you credits so you can upgrade all your base assets and making it harder for themselves every time

Activated Node
    Hey guys, this might be extremely pathetic and self humiliating of me, but I'll do it anyway.
    What I'm doing, is I'm gonna introduce myself a second time.
    My (nick)name is Darth Pingu. My hobbies are music and gaming. But really it's the other way - Gaming, then music. I'm completely addicted to video games. As in "if I were rich, I know what graphics card I would purchase" and "wow, how can that person have something to do all of the 24 hours of a day, and none of them being playing games?".
    The reason I'm saying this, is that I went through myself some time last night, trying to sleep. I've gone way too far. And I went way too far, way too early. In 7th grade (Norwegian) - 11 or 12 years old, I was late for school because I squeezed in a few minutes on Stronghold Crusader before I went to school. Then I was introduced to RuneScape. It was a blast. All of my friends played it. Then it became uncool and childish. Suddenly none of my RL friends were online in-game anymore. I tried to get them back online, but I just got a "nah" in reply. I've spent countless (well, who counts anyway) hours in-game. In any game. I spent basically all of what would be junior high playing games. That's except for in school. I've always been very neat on attending, but not much of it has been participating. I've even drawn games in my work books and played them with my pencil. We made a "goodbye film" in the last year of junior high (or whatever). In that video, everybody did their thing. When it was my "turn" in the video, I was just sitting there and playing the pong-ish game on iPod. Because that would be typically me. Everybody knew I played video games. And very few bothered being with me in general, even though I'm considered a nice guy. Maybe I'm a bit (very much) socially awkward from before the video game stuff, but me longing for my PC or console at any given minute, is always a stick in the wheel of hanging out.
    Which brings me to why I'm telling you guys, and not just anyone. You are basically the only community I have at the moment. I'm really sorry for throwing this shit at you, but I have to just pour it out so I can't deny it any more. And yes, it means you won't be shazbotting my trail for stealing your flag at nolife-speeds. The reason you're my only community, is because you play a game I'm "really into" at the moment (since the open beta). I don't have much time for friends. It's just barely that I go to my band rehearsals.
    I've even lied to my girlfriend (wow, how did she happen). Countless times. I've wasted many days on playing games, where I told her I was doing something/anything else.
    The gaming has really set back my dedication to my music. I could be so much more, and I would have maybe 100 songs written by now if I didn't spend all my days that I, myself, planned to spend on writing/making music. I play the keyboard, btw.

SO. What more can I say? This is just a confession towards myself, and you're my witnesses.
    Please, do carry on playing video games. They're awesome. There's many reasons I'm addicted. But I do also hope that this brings more light to this kind of situation. It's a plague that floods my life. It shrouds all other joys. I can make very little things that is more exciting than playing video games. But I know it's just in my head.

Again, I'm really terribly sorry for doing this to you, and not someone else. It's just that this is half way anonymous.
    And if anyone was to find out my identity, please just leave it be (unless it's just to talk to me privately (oh, and I have PM here on RPSF, like anyone else (ofcourse I'm going to hang around for a while to see if anyone replies or it just gets edited our or something something))).

... Thanks?

Edit: Heh, forgot to say that I'm going to try to quit games now. I don't know if I can do it. But half way quitting means loads of temptations ... So I don't know.
    Last edited by DarthPingu; 17-07-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbobthebob View Post
    I recommend trying the more "competitive style" alternative, soldier on flag. Much more manoeuvrable, you just have to fly onto the flag when you spot a capper to block them, or thumper the flag, or throw a proxy grenade at the right time.
    I thought about that. Maybe I might give it a try. Problem being if nobody cares for additional flag defense or the midfield JUGs the problems remain the same. But I just played a round of midfield INF which was quiet fun. At least until the JUGs learned not to stand still while bombarding which made hitting with a sticky quiet tricky.

PS: Do the soldiers proximities explode after a while or are they permanent until someone comes by?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I keep getting attacked by DMB charging forward and similar antics.

Mildly amusing but despite still being somewhat of a nub myself I'm starting to mourn how the teams are playing currently.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    I thought about that. Maybe I might give it a try. Problem being if nobody cares for additional flag defense or the midfield JUGs the problems remain the same. But I just played a round of midfield INF which was quiet fun. At least until the JUGs learned not to stand still while bombarding which made hitting with a sticky quiet tricky.

PS: Do the soldiers proximities explode after a while or are they permanent until someone comes by?
    They explode after a while, yes. You're relatively safe from JUGs if you keep moving and keep aware of your surroundings. Cappers aren't usually coming in very fast on pubs so you should have some time to prepare for them. And if the capper is coming in fast, it's likely that only a sniper will stop them.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthPingu View Post
    Edit: Heh, forgot to say that I'm going to try to quit games now. I don't know if I can do it. It just seems like a waste that I bought the Star Wars pack on Steam yesterday. But half way quitting means loads of temptations ... So I don't know.
    It's okay to vent, Pingu. It's also not easy, so thanks for baring yourself like that.

I will say that T:A has hooked me more deeply than anything I've played in recent years. Even Skyrim didn't occupy this much of my time. Okay, well maybe it was close, but not the 90-100 hours I've put in my two months of T:A.

If playing is causing you to lie to loved ones, set aside work, set back life goals, etc, then it is an issue. Some of the things you described were things I did way back in high school, like get up early to play the first (and last) MMO that I got into. (Asheron's Call) Now that I'm married, I have to sneak my gaming in on lunch breaks or at opportunities in the evening. Not really sneaking, since she's okay with me playing in modest amounts, but I just have less time for it. Not that I'm trying to change my wife, but she's found a game or two that we actually enjoy playing together. It's kind of unexpected, and obviously nothing harder core like Tribes, but Plants Vs Zombies on the 360 is a fun time for us. (and the best version, IMO, in spite of the controller)

Anyway, my point was going to be that some people need to quit cold turkey and others can handle smaller amounts of gaming. Figure out which one you are and go from there. Get involved with some real life activities, like a club for common interests. Maybe a music thing?

@bob & soldier on flag
    I'll have to try that. But darn it if I didn't just spend a stupid amount of xp on rounding out my Raider. (Grenade Launcher, NJ5) Speaking of which, I'm a terrible Raider and I don't really enjoy the class. Getting better/sidegrade equipment didn't seem to change that fact. I just can't shake the fact that I'd be better off JUGging than going RDR. Oh well.

What does the pug scene feel about the Gast/Thumper DX? I know short-fuse are kind of iffy in the opinion of some, and I've yet to buy the SLD utility pack & proxy 'nades. Probably should have spent my xp on those instead, and they would've been cheaper... Oh well. I'll see what tomorrow's deal is.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 17-07-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Network Hub
    Short fuse grenades are all banned. Everything else from the sidegrade weapon patch is unbanned. Check out www.gameshrine.org for the ban list used by both competitive and PUG players. I'd say that if you can aim well the explosives are all upgrades, whereas the automatic weapons are all personal preference. This is the full ban list and really shows how wrong the people who claim that comp players ban everything are:
    7. Banned Items, Classes and Perks

• Teams may not use Tactical Strikes.
    • Teams may not use Orbital Strikes.
    • The Raider's Plasma Gun may not be used.
    • The Raider's Whiteout Grenade may not be used.
    • The Infiltrator's Jackal may not be used.
    • The Infiltrator's Smoke Grenades may not be used.
    • The Infiltrator's Arctic Rhino may not be used.
    • The Soldier's Short Fuse Frag Grenade may not be used.
    Last edited by evilbobthebob; 17-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    So, how useful is the alt launcher to the doombringer. Due to the lock on nature of the default one (I forget which is which between titan and saber) it never gets used as I'm usually the only person willing to HoF on my pub teams I've found.

Almost have the xp to unlock it but unsure if I want that or the juggernaut throwing discs.

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    So, how useful is the alt launcher to the doombringer. Due to the lock on nature of the default one (I forget which is which between titan and saber) it never gets used as I'm usually the only person willing to HoF on my pub teams I've found.

Almost have the xp to unlock it but unsure if I want that or the juggernaut throwing discs.
    Try it out in the Target Practice area first. The limited range of the Titan launcher is off-putting to some. It's balanced that way, though, so we don't have long range rocket-snipes. Throwing discs are good for dueling as a JUG, if you play that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    @bob & soldier on flag
    I'll have to try that. But darn it if I didn't just spend a stupid amount of xp on rounding out my Raider. (Grenade Launcher, NJ5) Speaking of which, I'm a terrible Raider and I don't really enjoy the class. Getting better/sidegrade equipment didn't seem to change that fact. I just can't shake the fact that I'd be better off JUGging than going RDR. Oh well.
    in pub games it is fun to play stay at home raider with whiteouts and get cappers with that to watch them totally fuck up their paths. Not incredibly useful, but fun. I tried it with superheavy but then you blind yourself too.

Like I said, not practical, but good for a quick laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    I use the Saber to track incoming enemies and launch against pathfinders making cap runs. It's better on certain maps due to the flag skiing paths, but I am absolutely a more effective HOF with this trick up my sleeve. Even if you never fire it, the situational awareness alone is great, and you should spot attackers for your defense. I also use the quickdraw perk for swapping to chaingun since I haven't unlocked superheavy yet.

I prefer Saber.
    Especially as HoF the Titan does not really help me and i loose the abbility to scare off Shrikes. However, if you have no proper light def, you might need it to defend the stand.

Double post as i have something to say. ^^

I just saw that the server only has 5 days and 18 hours left. Soo, assuming we want to keep the server for another 90 days (and imho it is used quite reasonable currently) we need 2000 gold.
    That means (sales aside, as they all have a number of items in them) we need either:

Option 1
    Someone who does not mind beeing the server admin (as you apparently cannot sent money around) and who has 200 gold left +16€ (to buy the 1800 gold pack).

Option 2
    Someone who does not mind beeing the server admin and who wants 2000 gold for 12€ + another 12€ (buying the 4000 gold pack and having the admin keep half).

Option 3
    24€ buying the server for 180 days at once.

I happen to not want to spend money on Tribes apart from a share of the server, and i also do not have 200 gold lying around, so i am not available as server admin in options 1 and 2.

Righto, as me and MrVadder have just agreed I shall be taking option number 2 if needs. We shall see stuff possibly change about tomorrow unless an objection is heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Righto, as me and MrVadder have just agreed I shall be taking option number 2 if needs. We shall see stuff possibly change about tomorrow unless an objection is heard.
    Imho this would indeed be the best option. Afterall currently the server admininistration is done by Scum already, just complicated by the layer of friendly poking me. ^^
    So, that means we need to scratch together 12€ now.