Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Baldur's Gate II class suggestions

All this talk of Baldur's Gate made me decide to finally start my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate II. Anybody have good suggestions for what class I should choose for my main character?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A Half-Elf ranger/cleric multi-class.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    A Half-Elf ranger/cleric multi-class.
    Ranger/cleric? Can you explain that to me? I'm shockingly bad at D&D so I'm unsure of what classes work well together.

Though I'm partial to a half-elf fighter/cleric on the basis that 'fighter/clerics are my favourite' if that counts as a viable suggestion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Ranger/cleric? Can you explain that to me? I'm shockingly bad at D&D so I'm unsure of what classes work well together.

Though I'm partial to a half-elf fighter/cleric on the basis that 'fighter/clerics are my favourite' if that counts as a viable suggestion.
    Rangers get druid spells. Therefore ranger/clerics get full access to all divine spells, both the druid and cleric schools.

Human Wizard Slayer! I don't know why, but it's always been my favourite class... I don't know exhaustive amounts about Dungeons & Dragons, so I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but having a fighter that could go toe to toe with Spellcasters was great, for me and my parties and style of play (there are probably other methods of dealing with enemy spellcasters, but I found hitting them with sharp things works well- and they can be a terrific pain). Also, there is a longsword (forget its name) that casts Silence in a 15' radius, and the Wizard Slayer restrictions on magical items don't extend to weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Rangers get druid spells. Therefore ranger/clerics get full access to all divine spells, both the druid and cleric schools.
    While I don't want to say "don't play it", I do want to note that multiclass ranger/clerics are horrendously unbalanced and overpowered at higher levels in BG2. It may not be much of a challenge.

Like Unaco, I always liked the wizard slayer kit. Wild mage is a bunch of fun but has a messed up difficulty/power curve. Bards are a compromise between 2-3 classes but can make for an entertaining main character.

Played the whole thing with 2 Wizards, 2 Sorcerers, a Druid and a Fighter.

Magic classes have WAY more options in terms of gameplay.

Mage dual classed to Kensai is really fun with lots of combat buffing / defensive spells.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinox View Post
    While I don't want to say "don't play it", I do want to note that multiclass ranger/clerics are horrendously unbalanced and overpowered at higher levels in BG2. It may not be much of a challenge.
    I know. Being able to cast all those lovely cleric buffs, on top of the amazing druid spell iron skins, with fighter high level abilities like whirlwind, critical strike and hardiness makes you a killing machine capable of soloing the game relatively easily.

Dwarf Berserker - Get the Flail of Ages and turn everyone into a pulpy mush :-)
    The ting say there be bad guys, I hope it right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Wild Mage. That's actually an awful suggestion for your first play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    That's actually an awful suggestion for your first play.
    Referring to mine?

That was my first playthrough and had a lot of fun. But then I like dwarfs and spikey things. Besides, I thought the point of a role playing games was to role-play. Surely he should pick whatever appeals to him the most?
    The ting say there be bad guys, I hope it right.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I had a lot of fun playing a Blade on my last playthrough. They're not as powerful as many other classes and require a bit of micromanagement to properly work, but there's a lot of neat tricks you can do with them. They play similarly to fighters, but with enough magic spells and unique abilities to offer some variety from just blindly slashing anything you come across. Plus, I feel the Bard stronghold is the best one of them all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Play a bard, they're fun to roleplay with. Except when in the first game Imoen is turned to stone and then subsequently blown apart by a fireball, only to inexplicably return to life in the second game. But I'm not bitter.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Wow, there is so many different suggestions in this thread! That is awesome.

I'm going to try the ranger/cleric multi, because it sounds resilient, which is what I look for in a main character. I will definitely try the others on later play-throughs, though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I loved me my Archer. At higher levels, the arrows (and Called Shot) become ridiculous. You are spell interrupter #1.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am a big fan of dual classing for getting the most bang for my XP, but that is probably a bit dangerous for a new player. Favourite dual classes are swashbuckler to fighter at 10, swashbuckler to cleric at 10, kensai to mage at 9, ranger to cleric at 8. All of these are a bit OP once they get going.

I quite like the paladin stronghold quests, but on the other hand there is already a perfectly serviceable paladin recruitable who is also a very likeable fellow. Bards have a fun stronghold but are a bit rubbish.

Other than that I'd consider something you can't find elsewhere. There are no recruitable Sorcerers so that is a decent option. There are no recruitable Monks, but monks annoy me in every rpg system they appear in, and there are no recruitable Barbarians, but they're a bit poor. Wizard slayers are a bit silly, Kensai are fun but fragile, wild mages are hilarious but at low levels they are more-or-less mages which occasionally commit suicide (shortest game of BG2 ever: wild mage on Insane, first action use innate healing ability to heal cutscene damage... wildsurge, fireball, game over). I have never used archers but people tell me they're cool. Swashbucklers are rogues that have decent attack abilities.

A safe bet for a newb in BG2 is a Paladin. A) they're pretty haxy and B) there's that sword...
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Network Hub
    As nobody else suggested it yet: rogue with the assassin or bounty hunter subclass (or were the called kits in BG2?). Sure, you don't really need a single class rogue in any of the BG games (with all the +skill items, even a low level dual class rogues like Imoen or Nalia is enough for 95% of everything when it comes to locks and traps).
    The kits have nice special abilities though, like stronger backstab + powerful poison for the Assassin and special traps for the Bounty Hunter, and backstabs and traps are two skills you probably won't use much with either Nalia or Imoen - because they suck at it. The thief stronghold quests are also pretty good, and they get some of the most overpowered high level abilities in ToB, "Use any Item" and even more powerful traps.

Network Hub
    Kensai/Thief