Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Treasure Planet: Battle At Procyon

Has anyone played this? It looks kind of awesome:

I remember this from years ago -- cited as a surprisingly good movie tie-in game. It certainly looks great. Does this still run on newer operating systems?

Holy shit, I thought nobody played it! Or at least talked about it.

Funny 'coz I was just thinking about it a few days ago and suddenly, this thread. I just played the demo a few years ago, btw and it was pretty awesome as an RTS. Never played anything like that. Period

I'm going to keep an eye on ebay listings. If I can find a good price, I'm gonna pick this up.

Last time, you picked up a Gamecube for 8 bucks. Now, I wanna see what deal you'll get for this one.

This makes me weird, but that's one of my favorite animated movies. I'll be keeping an eye out for this too - it looks great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Looks great :D

Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    This makes me weird, but that's one of my favorite animated movies. I'll be keeping an eye out for this too - it looks great.
    No, this was actually a really great movie. I haven't seen it in years, but even at 11 I thought it looked retarded... And I was pleasantly surprised when I was wrong.

I still have this game somewhere. I loved it. Graphics were pretty good for the time, story isn't bad, and gameplay was addicting. Of course I haven't played this for years and I was a kid so I don't know if this still holds up in a more mature light.

I finally ended up picking this up for about $6 brand new from ebay. Demon's Souls is pretty much consuming me right now, but I'll post some sort of mini-review when I find some time to play it.

Here's the seller, seems to have quite a few of them (I picked up a few other games to mitigate the shipping cost)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    I still have my disc! Great little game, if somewhat embarassing when spotted by others.

SPACE GALLEON WARS!

Awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I think this game looks kind of great too; plus I watched the movie for the first time last year and thought it was More Than Acceptable. Looking forward to your miniature review!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I got around to playing the first couple of missions of this tonight. I completely skipped the tutorial and seem to be no worse off - a good sign for any game. The beginner's missions are painfully slow, but I think the game is just starting to pick up: I just added a second ship to my fleet and was granted the option to customize my own crews (Captain, First Mate, gunners, riggers) and armament (standard pew pew fare) for the first time. As someone that has traditionally bounced off of space combat games and RTS alike because they're too complicated, I guess I can't complain about the slow start too much... But this one really does play and control like a naval skirmisher. The potential for up to 10 ships in my fleet is very enticing indeed. I'll get some screenshots up as soon as I figure out where the damn game is saving them. Here's a demo link

Obligatory PC checklist:
    -no 1080p
    -no way to disable mouse smoothing
    -clunky UI
    -no way to hotkey individual weapons (as far as I can tell)
    -camera is locked to currently selected unit
    -full voiceovers
    -surprisingly decent writing, but certainly nothing spectacular or provocative
    -smooth install
    -looks fantastic for a 2002 game in full 3D
    -doesn't play nice with my second monitor

Edit: Oh, and it came with a fairly nice (30 page, B&W) manual with a reference of each of the ship types (without counting I'd say there's about 25-30?) and weapons.
    Last edited by sabrage; 19-06-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    lol -- I just saw you playing this on Steam and came here to say that I expected a thorough review, and when I got here, my wish had already been granted!

(I'm not a creeper honest, your name just popped up)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I just dug out my old VHS and watched this movie again. I can't believe it bombed.