Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Any games like SWAT 3 or 4 out there?

I bought SWAT 4 a while ago after re-watching Spoony's hilarious Let's Play of the game and loved it, then I bought SWAT 3 on GOG.com and loved that too. Since then I've been itching to play another squad-based tactical shooter where the focus is on incapacitating enemies before they get a chance to attack, issuing orders on the fly and etc.

Are there any more games out there with similar mechanics? 'm a big fan of the stealth genre (or was back when it still existed), and always prefer the more 'realistic' fps-type games, where both you and the enemies only take a few shots at the most to go down, so these games were great for me.

I also really liked the ability to non-lethally incapacitate enemies (played through the whole of SWAT 4 with the non-lethal weapons), but I know it's probably a stretch that I'd find another game with the same mechanic.

One caveat is that Rainbow Six games before the Vegases are a little too hardcore for me.

(I wasn't sure of the right forum ettiquete, in terms of whether to post this question in this oldish thread or start a new one. Hope you don't mind the new thread.)
    Last edited by random_guy; 02-03-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Don't think so,SWAT series are kinda only one to have that. Unless we count mods as well,for example you could arrest enemy in Project Reality(BF2 modification),you could do the same in LAPD mod for GTA4.

I can't think of anything particularly modern, but:

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield (it's not especially hardcore, honest!)
    Hidden and Dangerous 2

Both of which are extremely good. From there, if age doesn't bother you:

Hidden and Dangerous
    Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

Even older:

Rainbow Six

Network Hub
    Ah, Rainbow Six. I remember playing the second game in the series (Raven Shield?) and struggling to get past that one mission where you can't set off any alarms. It was certainly a hardcore tactical game, which is why I probably never finished it.

RvS was the third one in series :P Otherwise he is asking about something similar with swat in terms of not killing suspects,which for Rainbow Six series we can not say,you kill everything that moves xD

Network Hub
    Rogue Spear. That's the one I'm thinking of.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    RvS was the third one in series :P Otherwise he is asking about something similar with swat in terms of not killing suspects,which for Rainbow Six series we can not say,you kill everything that moves xD
    Actually, it's not really the feeling of arresting suspects I'm trying to re-capture, but of ordering my team to flashbang a room while I get ready to storm a second entrance, etc.

I tried Rainbow Six Raven Shield straight after SWAT 3, but a) I can't get over the fact that the injuries persist through the campaign, and b) I suck at pre-mission planning. So a typical mission would involve me starting at the planning screen for five minutes, giving up and going with the default, playing for a few minutes, one of my guys getting shot, and me re-starting the mission. Also, iirc you can't really issue orders on the fly, except move to next pre-determined checkpoint. I enjoyed Vegas 1 and 2, though, even though they were dumbed down, and lazy console ports.

I'll look into Hidden & Dangerous, I've heard good things.
    Last edited by random_guy; 03-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.

I've only played Rouge Spear and I was like what? 7?

And I just went around shooting people and constantly dying/failing missions. That's what I remember.

Banned
    Ghost Recon? The first one. I remember squad control was clunky though - you had to open up a "mini-map". I don't remember if there were any room breaching squad commands though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Ghost Recon? The first one. .
    I was going to suggest this as well. I too found whichever Rainbow 6 game I played (Rogue Spear I think) to be too difficult. Well I think I completed most of it but only when using the default plans which really took most of the fun out of it. However any plan I made after the first couple of levels always went horribly tits up.

Ghost Recon, on the other hand, was a lot more forgiving. Not sure if it's quite what you are looking for and as far as I remember I much prefered SWAT IV but it's an enjoyable enough game and worth picking up on the cheap.

You don't need to use pre-mission planning you know,just jump straight in to the mission and do your best,and if you played Swat 3 i can't understand how RvS is hard to you.

Otherwise there is also Ghost Recon with both expansion packs (Island Thunder and Desert Siege) from 2001,great tactical game. If you don't mind older graphics,this is the game for you,but its same difficulty like RvS,then there is also HD2,but that one is ever harder x)

Ghost Recon (2001)

And here is HD2 (Hidden and Dangerous 2)

I forgot to say,you can play HD2 like FPS,TPS or RTS.. I played it here as TPS,but i switch often to FPS while playing it.

Obscure Node

Honestly speaking I dont think there are any other games where you are actually expected to arrest people instead of shooting them in the face. Even in Rainbow youre just shooting the bad guys, really.

BTW. SWAT 4 - I recently played it - had one major flaw, that is lack of possible melee takedowns. I mean there was lot of situation where I flashbang a room, get in with my squad, all armed and ready and there's this guy with a Colt in his hand who just recovers from the flash. looks around, sees bunch of barrels pointed at him and deafened by dozen of guys shouting "POLICE GET DOWN NOW" and first thing he does is just roadrunners style panic escape out of the room. I mean seriously, I can either blindly chase him into other parts of the building which havent been secured and meet his buddies, mind that he can just turn around at any point and nail me, I can't really take out the taser quick enough to catch him, also taser has really short range, same for pepper, obviously I cant just shoot him since its UNAUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE-BLABLA... Thats why it sucks theres no melee in that game and thats why you pretty much have to use beanbag shotgun/paintball gun 90% of the time if you want to play it on Hard or above - you have to stop those idiots from fleeing somehow.

PS. I recently re-played Ghost Recon 1 with all of it's expansions and I got to say that, uh, it's not as good as I remembered, honestly. It's just about wandering around really tight and narrowed down maps and shooting people, it's nothing like R6 when it comes down to the tactical requirement.
    Last edited by Nox; 03-03-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marmite View Post

Don't know about that one,the guys worked on HALO games..that says allot about tactical hardcore shooter xD

But i would gladly found the guy who is working on GROUND BRANCH (He also worked on OGR and Rogue Spear/RvS!!) ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    BTW. SWAT 4 - I recently played it - had one major flaw, that is lack of possible melee takedowns. I mean there was lot of situation where I flashbang a room, get in with my squad, all armed and ready and there's this guy with a Colt in his hand who just recovers from the flash. looks around, sees bunch of barrels pointed at him and deafened by dozen of guys shouting "POLICE GET DOWN NOW" and first thing he does is just roadrunners style panic escape out of the room. I mean seriously, I can either blindly chase him into other parts of the building which havent been secured and meet his buddies, mind that he can just turn around at any point and nail me, I can't really take out the taser quick enough to catch him, also taser has really short range, same for pepper, obviously I cant just shoot him since its UNAUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE-BLABLA... Thats why it sucks theres no melee in that game and thats why you pretty much have to use beanbag shotgun/paintball gun 90% of the time if you want to play it on Hard or above - you have to stop those idiots from fleeing somehow.
    That was a big problem I had with it too. They added a melee attack in the expansion, but unfortunately it's only available in the expansion missions.

Network Hub
    You can shoot them in the legs or the hand. Or if you fire above their heads some times they panic.

But that affects your rating at the end,right ?

Co-op Splinter Cell could fit the description (especially focus on stealth and incapacitation) but I think that was only ever two player though I haven't played since Chaos Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    You can shoot them in the legs or the hand. Or if you fire above their heads some times they panic.
    No you cant because if youre playing on VH you need to have 90 rating, unauthorized use of force means you failed the mission. Which makes sense honestly, if you were an officer in real life you couldnt shoot anyone who doesnt pose a direct threat to you or other people, in SWAT 4 you cant actually lethally shoot anyone until his gun is pointed either at you, your teammates or a hostage, literally pointed at, it cant be in the process of being moved into a position where its pointed, it cant be pointed at a wall or anything. Really tricky to play this game with live ammunition got to say, beanbag shotgun is usually essential.