Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Electronic music.
    Not music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Not music.
    And Tchaikovsky was just noise, too, if you ask me - just like everything after Bach.

The last third of Exile on Mainstreet is music. Everything else is just noise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    The last third of Exile on Mainstreet is music. Everything else is just noise.
    How tragically populist of you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    ...just noise, too, if you ask me - just like everything after Bach.
    I think the bit where you have to dodge the werewolf is quite fun, but otherwise I agree.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I think the bit where you have to dodge the werewolf is quite fun, but otherwise I agree.
    Oh good grief. It's the hot sound of tomorrow - big dogs caught in observatory doors.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh don't invoke metal classifications. I swear theres no music subgenre so anal and obtuse with its nomenculture as metal. It's easier to become an expert in classical music.

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home
    I think heavy metal is one of the easiest genres of music to categorise bands in. There aren't many generally agreed upon sub-genres. Probably less than ten of them, with each one being quite distinctive. I mean, I'm an old guy (compared to most on here at least) and I understand what sub-genre bands belong to rather well. Having said that, I did grow up during the NWOBHM and was even part of a local band playing that sort of music at the time, so I guess that might be a little unfair.

Oh don't invoke metal classifications. I swear theres no music subgenre so anal and obtuse with its nomenculture as metal. It's easier to become an expert in classical music.

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home
    I raise you this, good Sir.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

That techno guide is wierd.
    Nine Inch Nails is electro? How? It also takes all credit for rap.

But yeah point taken. I still say metal is worse though in that the difference between genres is easier to notice in electro.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 04-03-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    One of the reasons I got out of the metal scene was the fans pissed me off too much. Realised recently I've kind of left the music behind too, except for a few exceptional bands.

I think heavy metal is one of the easiest genres of music to categorise bands in. There aren't many generally agreed upon sub-genres. Probably less than ten of them, with each one being quite distinctive. I mean, I'm an old guy (compared to most on here at least) and I understand what sub-genre bands belong to rather well. Having said that, I did grow up during the NWOBHM and was even part of a local band playing that sort of music at the time, so I guess that might be a little unfair.
    You'd think that, but when you've had people screaming at you about how, say, Strapping Young Land are nothing less than Speed Death Thrash Metal with Industrial and Slowcore influences then you'd realise just how weird everything has become. It's like a dick-waving contest between eunichs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    You'd think that, but when you've had people screaming at you about how, say, Strapping Young Land are nothing less than Speed Death Thrash Metal with Industrial and Slowcore influences then you'd realise just how weird everything has become. It's like a dick-waving contest between eunichs.
    Don't worry about me, Casimir Effect. I judge my music the same way I judge my CRPGs.

Metal has definitely gotten more fractured recently. Twenty years ago it was Rock or Metal. Now its exploded with every country having precisely catergorised sub genres (Viking Metal is not the same as Norwegian Folk Metal for example). Electro has arguably gone the other way and can be broadly defined as dance, grunge, pop, chamber and ambient.

@ Wizardy

Let me guess. Peaked in the early 90's and everything since has been a bastardization that has personally insulted you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Oh c'mon surely the only song suitable for a woodcutting sim is this 'un.

Plus if the farming simulator folk have failed to use this song (most notable for the immortal lyric of "Get than wasp off my sandwich") then they need to pull their fingers out.

Finally I guess I should try and wrest this back on topic:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let me guess. Peaked in the early 90's and everything since has been a bastardization that has personally insulted you?
    90s? Heavy metal? You're havin' a laugh!

Oh you'd be surprised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Oh don't invoke metal classifications. I swear theres no music subgenre so anal and obtuse with its nomenculture as metal.
    Perhaps, but Korpiklaani don't really sing about vikings (to the best of my knowledge), so I'm not sure how they can be considered Viking Metal ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Don't worry about me, Casimir Effect. I judge my music the same way I judge my CRPGs.
    I'd have to guess that you either favour music from the time of Genesis, The Who and The Rolling Stones; or you're properly into the NWOBHM and so your heart is in the '80s with Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Judas Priest etc.

OT: Would Shadow of the Colossus count as a horse-owning game? The horse was about the only thing I liked about it, and actually it was more the concept of the horse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    OT: Would Shadow of the Colossus count as a horse-owning game? The horse was about the only thing I liked about it, and actually it was more the concept of the horse.
    It was a great game with a great horse but, you don't actually do any "horse-owning" activities in it, do you? =P

If it doesn't let you brush the horse and feed the horse apples -- in short, if it's not the kind of a game you would buy for someone as a sort of inadequate consolation for not buying them a real pony -- it's not quite what we're looking for in this establishment.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I admit it. I would stab a baby for an MLP babysitter game where you have to take care of the cutie mark crusaders.

Stab a baby.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Korpiklaani, easily.
    Oh hell I thought I was the only one insane enough to know of them.

(Besides, Wooden Pints is Dwarf Fortress. Amirite?)