Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kerbal Space Program .14 is out!

If you payed for it, get it! If you haven't, do! .14 adds time persistence, moving parts such as folding lander legs, and the ability to run multiple missions simultaneously. Booyuh!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Wow, this is really frustrating. I'm using Chrome and the download keeps timing out or something before it completes. Trying to download the various parts now.

Huzzah! Thanks for letting us know, I'm surprised they didn't send out email notifications or something. Downloading now :))

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Wow, this is really frustrating. I'm using Chrome and the download keeps timing out or something before it completes. Trying to download the various parts now.
    Yep, my download of the single .zip failed too (in Firefox), but the multi-part RAR file downloaded pretty quickly and without any problems.
    Last edited by MD!; 06-03-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Network Hub
    ya the 7 part download is how i got it. Remember that with 7-zip you need to select all the bits then choose extract. trying to extract them individually fails miserably.

For those of you who haven't bought it and are curious whats in the new version, the big thing is object permanence and saving. Except for things connected to your command module when you end flight, everything else stays in space permanently plus you can exit an ongoing mission and start another and your ship will still be on the old course while you fly your second rocket.

In addition thers a new engine that weights 1/4 as much, has 1/4 trust and 1/4 fuel consumption, A half size fuel tank and landing legs which tragically are too small for the full size engines so its putting a rather nasty limit on how big you can make your Mun lander.

I suggest you go to Kerbalspaceprogram.net and in their mods section, get the Nova Punch Remix pack. Gives you a wider range of part sizes, some really teensy engines for small craft such as space probes or landers, and it's all really well balanced. Even has side-mounting vernier pods, which are super useful for landers.

Here's a direct download link: http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/22028994/file.html

Also, the KW Rocketry Challenger PLF (PayLoad Fairing) set is great, too. Adds two-part nose cone fairings, so, say, you could cover your lander with a nice pretty shell. The nosecone fairings in the nova punch pack don't work very well...

KW Rocketry Thread
    link: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=2680.0

NOW GET BUILDIN'!

Edit: Also, with the multi-part download for KSP .14, if you select the first part of the archive and extract it, the whole set should get extracted properly.

Edit again: One more thing! You can side-mount fuel tanks on radial decouplers now without the need of a solid booster first.
    Last edited by MFToast; 06-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Network Hub
    MFToast, the side fuel tank is actualy a 0.13 thing, and boy did that make a difference. I think my heavy Mun lander lost 20 tons with that change.

As for addons, ive mostly avoided them. Many of em are much stronger then the default parts which kinda breaks the games challenge. Half the fun of this game is making comically large and over staged rockets. I take it by your balanced comment that this isint the case?

Yeah, the nova pack got a big reworking as far as volume and such, so a big tank comes in at the right mass compared to the smaller stock tanks. There are a few bigger engines in the nova pack as well, but the burn rates scale up with the thrust produced, as well as the engines themselves weighing an ass-load (technical unit of measurement). The most useful stuff in my opinion are all of the adapters and such that it has. You can build stuff that looks more "real" as far as being more streamlined, without it being some ultra mega uber cheat rocket.

Some screens of my moon habitat mission... work in progress :P 3 Meter central tank with a 3 meter PLF nosecone.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/46...0F1F26D9E18C1/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/46...1CD088E87437B/

Network Hub
    Ha gaby's parts has upsized swigning legs. some of em are massive!

Whats your favourite long decoupler? you know, something to hide the engines.

The interstage decouplers that come with the KW Rocketry PLF set are pretty slick, but I also like the "Mk 2.3 Hollow Stage Decoupler" that comes with the nova punch pack. I should probably start working out how to recover as many stages as I can. Supposedly that's going to matter when funding and budgets come into play.

can someone explain/confirm the purchasing of this please?
    It looks like you can 'buy' each release at different amounts of your choosing, until you pay $15 in total at which point you get all future releases. is that right? is there a minimum or can you 'buy' a version for free to try it out?
    My free online multiplayer PC ONLY 'world cup singles/singles/worldy/cuppy/wembley' game can be found here:
    http://thebeautifulgame-thegame.com
    Please try it out!

Network Hub
    version 13.2 (or is it 13.3) is free and you can download it from the site.

You can also donate money, if your cumulative amount of donations reaches 15$ you get both the current version of the game and all future updates (ala minecraft).

giving a less then 15$ donation gets you nothing but a warm happy feeling.

thanks Inverselaw.
    My free online multiplayer PC ONLY 'world cup singles/singles/worldy/cuppy/wembley' game can be found here:
    http://thebeautifulgame-thegame.com
    Please try it out!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    By now it's on Greenlight and up to 0.19

Just started playing. Holy shit this is a great game!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Did you know that they want to charge for a near expansion pack?

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Did you know that they want to charge for a near expansion pack?
    No, do you want to explain?
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

http://twitch.tv/kerbalsp/b/388327332

They talked about paid expansion packs in the live stream. I'm not against expansions packs, as long as they finish the game before and do not cut content.

Squad lost me already. I purchased KSP on March 20th in the KSP store. I was under the impression that i also get a steam key (which was mentioned on the KSP steam forum). No steam key for me. You only get a steam key if yout bought the game BEFORE March 20th (which was never mentioned). The KSP store is slow and having the game on steam is more convenient for me.
    I contacted their "support" and asked them about the reasons and if i need to buy the game again to have it on Steam. After many days and three emails i got an short answer.
    "Sorry, but it does seem that way, we haven't had word of this rule changing." and "Sorry, this is not our call, we're just following orders." It looks like the "support" is totally disconnected from Squad.

That was all and it explained nothing. Totally disapointed with the behavior of Squad...and the "support".

In the future i will look closer to how an indie dev will handle certain things before i buy something.

Disclaimer: I'm not entitled to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
    They talked about paid expansion packs in the live stream. I'm not against expansions packs, as long as they finish the game before and do not cut content.
    It does seem kind of odd to talk about expansion packs when your game isn't even finished, but having said that arbitrary limits on development to declare "this is part of the game, this is clearly not because it was planned before release" are absurd too. The problem is probably communication, I have no doubt that expansion packs and DLC are planned before release in the event that something sells well.

Quote Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
    In the future i will look closer to how an indie dev will handle certain things before i buy something. Disclaimer: I'm not entitled to anything.
    Indie optimism rules all! You may not be entitled to anything but it's still a very strange move that Steam keys weren't provided for all purchasers. I'd love to know why.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Indie optimism rules all! You may not be entitled to anything but it's still a very strange move that Steam keys weren't provided for all purchasers. I'd love to know why.
    That's what i wanted to know from them. No real answers were given. :(

I forgot to mention that if you bought the game before March 20th and you transfer the game to Steam, you lose your store copy. The tranfer process is irrversible. This is another strange decision on the side of Squad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmmm. As soon as money gets involved it all hits the wall. :/

On a brighter not, it's got some great features. I'd hope expansion packs would be along the lines of "boats" and "cars" etc. Where as the main game would be, well, the rockets.

Hi everyone, I've been a long time RPS reader and lurker. This thread prompted me to register as I feel it's important someone points out the posting made by Harvester - KSP's lead developer. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...nsions-for-KSP

Basically it points out that while he is the lead developer he was just bouncing ideas about, not making official policy. I you've tuned in to any of their previous livestreams you'll know this is pretty typical. After this I suspect Squad will not be thinking about expansions for a long long while.