Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Gearbox tries to make up for the clusterfuck of false promises that was Borderlands

http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter?x

I actually find this rather pathetic but hey, at least this time we get a proper PC game, even if half of those things mentioned should be a given and shouldn't require a fucking fanfare

Agreed that most of those things should be obvious default things for any PC port, but considering the last time it's still brilliant news. Plus, while most of the time I find Gearbox's attempts to be funny a fair bit too wannabe-funny, I did actually quite like this letter.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Awesome, I'm coming back to you Claptrap, did you miss me baby?
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I really liked Borderlands 1 so meh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Glad to hear they're planning to resolve the interface, graphical, and connectivity issues that plagued the original, here's hoping they follow through. I quite enjoyed Borderlands 1 (and am replaying it with a friend right now, actually) but having to run a 3rd party configuration tool or tweak .ini files to handle very basic interface elements is ridiculous, and the connectivity problems at launch (I've had no problems lately) were absurd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    FoV slider? You want me to forgive you for the headaches and nausea by giving me an FoV slider?

Takes a bit more than that, and should-be-standard features to win me over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I forgive them for including offline LAN mode.

Shame about lack of split-screen, but hey. Offline LAN mode games will be purchased repeatedly in this household, yes yes.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    FoV slider? You want me to forgive you for the headaches and nausea by giving me an FoV slider?
    Takes a bit more than that, and should-be-standard features to win me over.
    This ^
    Albeit to an extent it'd be self defeating now to shun attempts to reconcile. That they're happy to admit BL PC was broken still begs the question why they haven't bloody sorted that out yet.
    The best way they could sell BL2 to me now is to fix BL1.

edit: btw anyone else unable to load the page? black screen is all what firefox gives
    Last edited by Memph; 16-03-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Yes it should be in, but I'm more than happy to sit through these advertising apology things if we start getting a full range of options in games again.

Some companies seem to be starting to care about us again now they've seen there is money to be had and I'm glad for any slight return to form we can get.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I actually really like Gearbox. Despite DNF which, for the most part the problems with that I doubt were their fault, at least here they are putting their hands up and admitting that Borderlands 1 had issues. Ideally it would be in from the start but at least they can recognise where they are wrong, not like all companies out there.

I don't mind the lazy port when they get the gameplay right (no numbers-style shooting, or make real hitboxes where HS actually counts instead of just doing more damage​).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The link at the top just gives me a page that never actually loads - I get a black background and a title, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihkel View Post
    I don't mind the lazy port when they get the gameplay right (no numbers-style shooting, or make real hitboxes where HS actually counts instead of just doing more damage​).
    I think perhaps you don't get what Borderlands was trying to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I think perhaps you don't get what Borderlands was trying to do.
    I don't think Borderlands gets what it should be doing. Actual combat>loot harvesting.

Banned
    Borderlands was awesome!!

Network Hub
    Between this and Saints' Row the Third, it's good to see developers taking notice of complaints with lazy console ports. I agree with others in this thread that the PC platform seems to be finally growing in importance again. But do you think that's because more people are actually playing on the PC, or the industry's finally waking up to realise that retail sales figures are misleading, because they don't account for digital sales?

As to Borderlands 2, I haven't been following it - does anyone know if it'll have a little more depth than the first one? Borderlands was addictive, but it all felt too samey after not too long.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I dont understand why developers are so eager to segregate us from XBOX and Playstation gamers.

I check the list, all of them can technically be possible to be offered to game console version players, even those regarding video setting, if platform maintainers are willing to share the tech specs. Look at how gorgeous those PS3 1st party games are.

And I always wonder, not just for this game but for all cross-platform games, that why you need a PC-specific UI? You support mouse+keyboard control on game consoles and it solves all the problems, doesn't it?!

And I am deeply concerned about "Cloud Saving". By saying "Support", do they actually imply "Compulsory" so that the game will become online dependent for them to have every control on us to play this game? If so, then such is not a feature, it is a restriction they impose on us.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I remember when tweaking .ini files and such was considered a benefit of PC gaming and not something to whine about.

The only thing I really disliked about Borderlands was that it used Gamespy and the connecivitiy issues when it first came out. I remember it took my friends and I about an hour to get all of our routers setup and then figure which one of us was able to host (we kept timing out).

But yeah, it was still a great game.

edit: oh the in game voice was atrocious too, I forgot about that.
    Last edited by Hypernetic; 17-03-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Network Hub
    The thread title also applies to the new Red Orchestra 2 beta. Just swap Gearbox with TWI and Borderlands with RO2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I remember when tweaking .ini files and such was considered a benefit of PC gaming and not something to whine about.
    It is a benefit, for when you're trying to do something unusual. It shouldn't be necessary, however, to do things like turn off the idiotic mouse smoothing or adjust the god-awful FoV.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    It is a benefit, for when you're trying to do something unusual. It shouldn't be necessary, however, to do things like turn off the idiotic mouse smoothing or adjust the god-awful FoV.
    Fair enough.