Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I hope I'm not the only one here who actually enjoys James' company. Sure, he's a stereotypical jarhead, but the character role is effective and Freddie Prinze Jr has a decent voice to boot (he's a damned sight more interesting than Jacob, who hasn't improved since ME2, that much is certain).
    I found him to be kind of an ass, but not outright hateable like Miranda. Not that it matters, because I had Garrus and Liara, and, with them, why would I choose anybody else?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Agreed, James is much better than Jacob. Useful in combat as well. But then again:

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    because I had Garrus and Liara, and, with them, why would I choose anybody else?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I never understood why Jacob was considered particularly boring. He was written as a normal soldier to, you know, balance out all the wacky aliens.

Maybe it would be better if he sang a song?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I never understood why Jacob was considered particularly boring. He was written as a normal soldier to, you know, balance out all the wacky aliens.

Maybe it would be better if he sang a song?
    He didn't really have much of a personality, outside 'I'm a Soldier, my dad is a dick'. He wasn't funny, he didn't have any insight. When you talk to Jacob it was basically him relating his backstory (I joined Cerberus from here, and used to do this blahblahblah), compare that to someone like Garrus, your interactions with him are frequently concise and witty. But hey, after all this is over, the Drinks are on Jacob!

At least James is kind of a dick, a character who is a dick is better than a character who isn't anything.

It's like Ashley in ME1, she stood out because she was kind of a bit of a racist, whereas Kaiden was kind of dull - always on about his upbringing, rather than applying any force of personality to the present. Kaiden has developed for those who kept him alive (not many I'd imagine) he's now one of the most hilariously needy game characters there is, constantly seeking validation from Shepard and always getting upset if you're mean to him.
    Last edited by Jockie; 09-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    It's funny how all the sidequests are literally things you do on the side now, without even proper dialogue. "Oh hi, I found this priceless artifact you're looking for on some planet, here you go!". "Come on, let those refugees in. I'm Commander Shepard!".

Streamlining!

Network Hub
    It's funny how all the sidequests are literally things you do on the side now, without even proper dialogue. "Oh hi, I found this priceless artifact you're looking for on some planet, here you go!". "Come on, let those refugees in. I'm Commander Shepard!".

Streamlining!
    To Bioware's credit, at least Shepard doesn't telepathically know to whom these things belong to this time around. How s/he manages to find a book on a planet regardless of how powerful the Normand's scanners are is beyond me however, unless said book has the universe's most powerful GPS tracker in its spine.

Network Hub
    I found him to be kind of an ass, but not outright hateable like Miranda. Not that it matters, because I had Garrus and Liara, and, with them, why would I choose anybody else?
    As an Adept, this made Liara a bit redundant in my playthrough. That in mind, my reasoning was that I needed tech and mucles to complement my "mage." I switched off between Garrus, EDI, and Tali for the "tech" component of my fireteam, and James filled the "muscles" part quite admirably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    As an Adept, this made Liara a bit redundant in my playthrough. That in mind, my reasoning was that I needed tech and mucles to complement my "mage." I switched off between Garrus, EDI, and Tali for the "tech" component of my fireteam, and James filled the "muscles" part quite admirably.
    Technically speaking, because my Shep was a BOOMHeadshot Infiltrator gal, Garrus was totally superfluous. But it's fucking Garrus.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Technically speaking, because my Shep was a BOOMHeadshot Infiltrator gal, Garrus was totally superfluous. But it's fucking Garrus.
    LOL. Exactly the same for me.

Thanks to the improved combo system, you really want to stick around with companions who can utilize it. Playing as sentinel, I walk around with Liara and Javik almost exclusively and being able to warpslode all their powers turned out to be very effective.

Also, I would argue that at least ME2 was the easiest with an all sniper squad.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Streamlining!
    To be fair, there are sidequests like whenever Hackett sez "they've taken over this; go take it back," and there are fetch quests like when Shepard overhears something on the Citadel, and then there are arguments where it's basically "I'm Shepard and one of you is wrong."

Interestingly enough, the last one can actually harm you. For instance, letting more refugees in crowds the docks and makes it harder for military vessels to get through, lowering your military effectiveness.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

By the way, does this whole reputation thing have any purpose? It seems like there are a lot less occasions where you can go "See, I have this many renegade points and that's why you will do as I say".
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    By the way, does this whole reputation thing have any purpose? It seems like there are a lot less occasions where you can go "See, I have this many renegade points and that's why you will do as I say".
    As in, are there points where you see that glowing text to get everything you want?

Yes. And they're in the most important spots, too.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    My little brother just purchased Mass Effect 3 for the Xbox 360 and threw the game aside after ten minutes. He never actually got as far as playing mind you, he spent all that time inputting codes. First the retailer-specific DLC code, then the free two day Live Gold code, then the online pass code.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    My little brother just purchased Mass Effect 3 for the Xbox 360 and threw the game aside after ten minutes. He never actually got as far as playing mind you, he spent all that time inputting codes. First the retailer-specific DLC code, then the free two day Live Gold code, then the online pass code.
    Did you regale him with stories how, "back in MY day, we had these things called cheat codes, and you needed a separate cartridge to use 'em! And we liked it!"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Mechanically, I'd say this is the best of the trilogy, having just completed the second mission. I may change my face code because something about it is irking me (probably the fact it's one I've never used before, but supposedly this character has existed through ME1-3) but my biggest issue is with the plot. Two things that bother me. The first, which I won't use spoilers for because you already know about it; Game: "Oh, there's something up." Me: "It's the Reapers." Game: "We should do something. Let's ask Shepard." Me: "He's incarcerated and you're only asking him now...?" Game: "Oh, FUCK, the Reapers are here!" Me: "What happened to the passing of time?"

I don't mind details not being entirely filled in at the beginning, although the logical answer I'd have taken was, Shepard was being held due to operational ties with Cerberus, which is completely justifiable. It's the pace at which the Reapers attack Earth and the seeming complete unawareness everyone had. "Well, some shit is going down elsewhere...oh, wait, no, they're right on top of us." I dunno. People were running around, there was a hushed panic, but I can't help but think there must have been a telescope looking out and seeing an armada of giant ships heading towards Sol. Sufficed to say, it irked me.

Then we have the second mission. Spoilers concealed. I have no issue at all with having something come along during the course of the game to help in the fight, but good lord. "It's a weapon." Could you get any more generic than that?? Yes, I can understand the Protheans trying to develop something and running out of time. Hell, I can even understand that Vigil might not have known about it because the communities will likely not have been able to have contacted each other at that point, but I draw the line at the "Humans are special because yes" element. Between the deus ex weapon and that, I felt a little bit betrayed and have this sense of dread that anything I've done in the past game won't ultimately affect the overall outcome, but just little things along the way.

Still, I'm only an hour and a half in. I'm still excited to play. Just need me some lunch first.